Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merged two topics

Thanks. :)

Now, then...I don't think we should underestimate what Sal did for the Scouts, bringing them up to 6th place in three short years. Let's not think this is an automatic return to mid 90's Madison (there were a lot more design minds at work than just the director in those years), nor is it an automatic signal that Scott Stewart is returning.

I'll be the first to admit on first blush it's an opportunuity full of potential for the Scouts to remake themselves again; but I hope this doesn't turn into a old school/new school argument.

2007 Madison isn't going to be playing "Slaughter" or "Ice Castles" any more than the Cavaliers OTL next year is going to be "Bully", so let's eliminate that thought process.

Who can merge the visual punch that the top tier requires now with the Madison brand identity?

Thanks Tristan... Sorry bout that bawker

Don't apologize, you actually had him scooped! The timestamps show you were first.

i'm also of the mind that Sal did a tremendous job bringing the corps back into finals. That 2003 show is one of my all-time favorites, and the corps finished as high as sixth as recently as 2005. Sal seems to have gotten the corps back on its feet; it almost parallels the business world, where a CEO will come in to bring a company back for bankruptcy and leave once the company is stable again. Perhaps the Scouts have stabilized, and simply need someone new to help them with the next phase.

Wow, have to admit that was unexpected.

2007 Madison isn't going to be playing "Slaughter" or "Ice Castles" any more than the Cavaliers OTL next year is going to be "Bully", so let's eliminate that thought process.

Who can merge the visual punch that the top tier requires now with the Madison brand identity?

Hmmm...I don't think this is an argument of "old school" vs. "new school," but rather "good music" vs. "not so good music." Who says the Scouts can't return to their '90s musical style while still placing high? After all, averaging their placements together, the Scouts placed on average 6th in the '90s and 10th so far this decade. And I don't think there's one person who would claim the scouts are more entertaining this decade than they were in the '90s, or anywhere close.

In 1997, the Scouts played music they had never played before, but they still managed to produce a fan-friendly, energetic, loud, in-your-face-show (WITH screaming soprano solos, I might add). Just do that, combine it with "the visual punch the top tier requires," and they're set!

Board President Jeff Manion...

Sad move in Madison. Sal was doing great things. There is more to drum corps than on-field stuff. The members seemed to love him.

Also, did Redmann resign because of this?

Redmann are you out there?

Also, did Redmann resign because of this?

Redmann are you out there?

I was wondering the same thing.. but I seem to remember a late night conversation over some sinfully good wine that his term was up at the end of this year.

*edit* Got a text response from him.. he resigned. He was one of two who voted to renew Sal's contract.

Honestly, I don't think they fully realize what they're losing by this decision.. but it's their decision to make and I wish them well.

Edited by ScribeToo