Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

Playing Malaguena, using the fleu de lis & playing louder would make for a good start!

I like Malaguena as much as anyone, but there's a lot of latin jazz out there that's yet to be explored....maybe leave that one lay for a little while, since "Malaga" (which is pretty close) turned up in 2004.

I'll bet there's an entire show's worth of Stan Kenton shows they could do that would be in the same vein..."Cuban Fire Suite", and so on.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm really confused, because it's former Scouts, guys who should know what they're talking about (re: brotherhood), who seem to be "bashing" (for want of a better word) the current corps, while a lot of people who marched elsewhere (if at all) are defending what they put on the field in '06. If you're gonna post here about the '06 Scouts not living up to their "traditions" and whatnot, then why not provide at least a general definition of what you're talking about? Something about their on-field performance? Or is it about goings-on behind the scenes? As for me, the 2006 edition will probably go down as my favorite Madison Scouts show since 1999.

addendum:

Well, then ... putting it in terms of "family," I don't think I'd get on the internet and post negative things about my brothers, especially if they were in the public eye, without expecting some sort of response from other people.

You folks really don't get it do you...NO ONE HAS FLAMED THE SCOUTS MARCHING MEMBERS...ONLY THE STAF, PROGRAM COORDINATOR, SHOW DESIGN, ETC...UNDERSTAND???

And where do some of you find the time to post here all freaking day long???

This may help to put to rest some of the speculation. Thanks for posting your "inside" information.

By the way, in my humble opinion, any criticism from an alumnus of what the Madison Scouts might put on the field is likely coming from a perspective of an overwhelming desire to have the current group of Scouts experience what many of us experienced as marching members. We want the very best for them and some alumni get frustrated if they think that the current members aren't getting everything they deserve to get.

As a whole, I believe the alumni are VERY supportive of the corps and of the current members. Being on the field mingling with them the Wednesday before semi-finals was an experience I'll treasure for a very long time.

Having said that, we're all human. And in spite of how I felt putting on the Scout uniform again, it doesn't make us perfect human beings. Imperfect people may say things that are imperfect.

I personally didn't like the 2006 show. But I loved the kids, and revere the corps as much as I do when I love the show they put on the field.

Your post summarizes my feelings exactly.

They wore nails around their necks, each one with a name of an alum, so that the past and present may be as one...old being with the new. That is what tradition is about.

this is the part that makes me the saddest...these guys wear their nails...meant to symbolize how these "nails" hold the whole of the Madison Scouts together...and they never get the chance to meet some of these guys because they either refuse to or don't bother to come around...

I said SOME...not all...

but still...really makes me hurt for these young guys...

My name may not be on a nail, but I was eager to get back inside the organization again...to "re-connect"...to put to rest any lingering bias...and I was amazed to see how warmly and with what reverence I was accepted. Apparently that was because many of my day don't come around anymore...and that's a real shame. Talk about missing a chance to meet/mentor a great group of guys who will never forget those encounters. The Scouts have always had such rich alumni involvement, I hope to see that resurface and return to prominence again.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

this is the part that makes me the saddest...these guys wear their nails...meant to symbolize how these "nails" hold the whole of the Madison Scouts together...and they never get the chance to meet some of these guys because they either refuse to or don't bother to come around...

:worthy: What was the Alumni Reunion Project but a huge effort to bring back alumni into the fold? And let me tell you as part of a group that started trying to do this about 2 years before the MSARP, and knowing what a difficult time Randy Ferrie had in initially selling the idea to MDBCA in 2005, I think you have to consider the fact that Scouts have not had a very strong alumni association. The MSARP was part of an effort to correct that. And it is almost 100% an Alumni based initiative.

But when I was a marching member, I was glad to see alumni but I really wasnt hurt if they werent around. Its now that costs to march have gone completely nuts that the corps needs a strong alumni presence, both for emotional as well as financial support.

:worthy: What was the Alumni Reunion Project but a huge effort to bring back alumni into the fold? And let me tell you as part of a group that started trying to do this about 2 years before the MSARP, and knowing what a difficult time Randy Ferrie had in initially selling the idea to MDBCA in 2005, I think you have to consider the fact that Scouts have not had a very strong alumni association. The MSARP was part of an effort to correct that. And it is almost 100% an Alumni based initiative.

But when I was a marching member, I was glad to see alumni but I really wasnt hurt if they werent around. Its now that costs to march have gone completely nuts that the corps needs a strong alumni presence, both for emotional as well as financial support.

I agree wholeheartedly...and it did me a lot of good to see/hear about all the things going on between the MSARP and the current corps...

I guess my comments are more directed towards guys from my day...and for those of us who fall into this category PRIOR to the MSARP...

It was very disappointing to stand in the crowd talking to people at the stadium bar after finals and hear a select few with very unflattering and unscout-like comments directed at this year's corps...very disappointing and very disheartening, indeed...

I just want people to get over their biases and get over themselves and show that they love the corps as much as they proclaim to...

Like I said before, if this corps has lost it's identity...or it's tradition...then who's fault is that exactly?? is it the member's fault, OR the fault of the alums that don't come around and work to instill that tradition...? I lump myself into that category before anyone thinks I'm stepping on toes. I, for one, have a renewed desire to be a part of the future of this corps...and I would challenge all alums who care about the direction of the corps to back up their words and do the same! :D

:ph34r:

p.s. I must say it was wonderful to have this conversation with Steve Powers and have him agree. He's more of a Scout and a contributor to drum corps in general than I will ever be. I love that guy!

Edited by BigBadMadMan

You folks really don't get it do you...NO ONE HAS FLAMED THE SCOUTS MARCHING MEMBERS...ONLY THE STAF, PROGRAM COORDINATOR, SHOW DESIGN, ETC...UNDERSTAND???

NO..YOU are the one who doesn't 'get it'. The members live and breathe their show all summer long. It's as much a part of them as your shows were to you. Trying to justify attacking your own corps with some bogus separation like you said above is ridiculous, IMO.

NO..YOU are the one who doesn't 'get it'. The members live and breathe their show all summer long. It's as much a part of them as your shows were to you. Trying to justify attacking your own corps with some bogus separation like you said above is ridiculous, IMO.

Mike, I agree with you but apparently what "WE" are all not getting is that guys like that.. the brave, anonymous ones who are so secure in their opinion and so willing to speak up negatively about their own corps (EVEN AFTER one of the guys who fills his actual shoes has spoken up in support of your same assertion) are above reproach. "WE" can't possibly understand what he really meant because "WE" didn't wear the green. "WE" are outsiders and can never have any insight about how what he chooses to say about those same "little brothers" in a public forum may impact them personally and as part of the larger group of "brothers" -- even when "WE" are proved right by at least one of them.

Having the tag "alumni" gives you the right to bad mouth your corps any way you see fit and "WE" should just STFU about it.

I'm glad that in my REAL life, I chose to associate with the kind of guys who actually support their alma mater (both in action AND WORD) .. even when they don't necessarily like the product. Watching alumni behave like this guy has makes me sad for the current and recent marching members who have basically been abandoned by the likes of him. Further, I hope the guy who may be wearing the nail with THIS GUY'S name on it never finds out who he is. How disheartening it would be to wake up one morning and realize the symbol of your "connection" to corps history all season has really been nothing more than an empty trinket.

Edited by ScribeToo