Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

Did you see this years show? No Scout tradition or sound whatsoever.

Okay, so I'm not an alum ... but am I the only one who thought that not only was Madison '06 a great show, but that it was a great "Scouts" show?

Exactly what "tradition" are we talking about in this context, anyway? They're supposed to sound just like they did in 1988, or what? All of the other top-tier corps have evolved over the years, so why shouldn't the Scouts have also?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I'm not an alum ... but am I the only one who thought that not only was Madison '06 a great show, but that it was a great "Scouts" show?

OK... this is starting get ridiculous. This whole MISUNDERSTANDING of former Scouts saying that the current Scouts have no traditional values and that their show lacked strength or that they are no longer Scouts is really getting ABSURD. There is more than ONE meaning when someone TYPES something in here on these boards and says something like that. It isn't always just the "face value" of what you're reading there that is the intended truth or meaning.

As is so typically the case here on DCP... a few poorly spoken ("typed") words expressing a desire to maybe have the Scouts... as well as several other corps... return to a style of music that the audience can relate to, has now been WARPED AND MORPHED by misunderstanding and misinterpritation to suddenly mean that no one liked or likes the current little brothers...

THAT IS COMPLETELY WRONG, MISUNDERSTOOD AND IRRESPONSIBLY SUGGESTED HERE.

No veteran wants the corps to go back to drumline drill up and down the fifty or to see park and blow segments ala 1978... you're missing the intended point if that's what you automatically think is being said.

I don't care WHAT you read, what post you can reference me to that says "whatever" from a former Scout saying bla bla bla... TO A "T", you are WRONG, WRONG, WAY WRONG, AND JUST FLAT OUT WRONG WRONG if you think for one nano-second that former Scouts don't think the current Scouts are absolutly the best, and that there was, and is, support ALL around for them in every possible way there could be.

Alumni speaking their minds openly about wishing to see a return to a different style or type of musical direction? YES, absolutely spoken here. Maybe not so gently or eloquently for some of you "STIR THE POT" ..."WELL THEN WHAT YOUR SAYING IS..." ... "OH SO YOU THINK THAT..." people here who can't fathom the possibility that there may be MORE than one intended meaning to the written word. One persons post does not reflect EVERY former Scout over-all, and there are many different opinions out there... some to the extreme, some not so extreme...some balanced in the middle... some to the left, some to the right. IT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS.

PLEASE stop closing your mind to what the "meaning" might be. Someone types it in one way, you read it another, it gets resuggested and blown into a totally different thing that takes ten posts of debate to straighten out.

There isn't a single veteran of any corps anywhere who would intentionally hurt a current corps or corps member the way that is being implied here.

You couldn't possibly understand unless you are/were a part of that organization.

Maybe Cap Regiment's ED would consider taking on the dual assingment of the Scouts as well. It definitely would lead to some major drama (I.E. Two mismanaged Drum Corps).

Honestly, I hope the Scouts select a replacement that allows Madison to shine. The Scouts have the history and talent to do much better than they did in 2006. Time will tell if a better tomorrow is ahead of the Scouts in 2007 and beyond.

You couldn't possibly understand unless you are/were a part of that organization.

Maybe that's why in the second part of my post I asked for a clarification. Exactly what "tradition" and "sound" were the 2006 Scouts lacking? Perhaps instead of throwing a fit you could simply have tried to explain it to those of us who aren't former Scouts.

When an alum says something that sounds as negative about his old corps as FlamMan did, it's gonna attract attention.

Edited by Orpheus

Maybe Cap Regiment's ED would consider taking on the dual assingment of the Scouts as well. It definitely would lead to some major drama (I.E. Two mismanaged Drum Corps).

First I've heard that the Scouts have been "mismanaged." Did I miss something?

Exactly what "tradition" are we talking about in this context, anyway? They're supposed to sound just like they did in 1988, or what? All of the other top-tier corps have evolved over the years, so why shouldn't the Scouts have also?

I'm with you -- With regard to the Scouts’ shows, I don't fully understand what "tradition" everyone wants to preserve. It seems to me there is a tremendous amount of tradition in the organization and among the corps members, but that many are unhappy with the music and/or show design. I enjoyed the show this season; however, it was evident they had some weaknesses, but I guess I don't attribute any of those weaknesses to a lack of tradition. From a show design or music selection standpoint, what tradition is everyone referring to? Are they not playing enough jazz, Latin music, show tunes, etc.? I’m baffled and I hope the solution isn't playing Malaguena every other year, overusing the Fleur de Lys in the drill, or just playing louder. Hopefully the Scouts can find this "tradition" and still progress on a competitive level.

Perhaps instead of throwing a fit you could simply have tried to explain it to those of us who aren't former Scouts.

The quintessential definition of what I said in my post about warping and morphing the meaning of a post.

I wasn't "throwing a fit"... if you could hear my voice you would know that I was speaking calmly and matter of factly...not having a "fit." I'm not looking for a fight with you Orpheus...you post well here and I respect you.

But if I have to explain what the intentended meaning of what these former Scouts are saying, then you'll never understand.

(Thanks Louie Armstrong...)

I'm not saying I totally agree with that sentiment from them, but I know what they mean. And it was irresponsible at best for that poster to say that statement without qualification or better explanation. It's a harsh statement, flat out stated by that vet that MANY other threads have been created here on DCP about... the return of a sound and easily identifiable "identity" that corps used to have... not just the Madison Scouts.

What can I say to you that will be a sudden epiphony that will make it all understandable? All I'm saying is that NO former vet means any disrespect to any current marching member, and to suggest that is irresponsible no matter how anyone "reads" the post.

What Geno said.

Both times.

To the younger brothers reading this stuff:

1 – You have “it”, you’ll always have “it”, no one thinks you don’t. I can’t tell you how well those of you that I got to meet at the Coon Rapids show made me feel. Proud doesn’t even come close. Thank you for that!

2 – Don’t take too seriously the pontifications of a bunch of people that don’t know what their talking about with regard to the traditions of the brotherhood. It’s not true, you know it and we know it. Blow it off.

3 – I can’t wait to meet some of you again next year, you are quality young men.

Edited by Roark1

I wasn't "throwing a fit"... if you could hear my voice you would know that I was speaking calmly and matter of factly...not having a "fit." I'm not looking for a fight with you Orpheus...you post well here and I respect you.

In Dan's defense...in computer-ese this comes across as yelling, esp the larger font sizes that did not translate in this quote:

I don't care WHAT you read, what post you can reference me to that says "whatever" from a former Scout saying bla bla bla... TO A "T", you are WRONG, WRONG, WAY WRONG, AND JUST FLAT OUT WRONG WRONG

Mike

But if I have to explain what the intentended meaning of what these former Scouts are saying, then you'll never understand.

I thought it was "You'll Never Walk Alone?"

My bad.

By the way...if all of you want to talk tradition...that is one quintesential Madison tradition. I have goose bumps just thinking about hearing it again. Did the alumni sing it at the Stadium Bar after finals this year? That would have been way cool!

Tom Brace