Drum Corps Quotes - A little fun

I'm still a "youngin" yet, so I don't have quite as many... But a few of my favorites:

"Suck! Suck as much as you can! Now suck a little more! Ok, now blow. Blow blow blow blow blow. WHY AREN'T YOU BLOWING? BLOW MORE!" -High School Drum Major who I marched DCA with during breathing exercises... It DOES corrupt you :P

"No turds in the punch bowl! You know when you've already had a couple glasses of punch and you see a turd in the bowl? Thats it. A turd is a musical mistake. NO TURDS."

-David Orser, during Statesmen (DCA) Horn Arc

"No big poses. Don't even try... You can't handle it."

-Vis tech, said to a rather unfortunate sop

Oh, and pretty much ANYTHING said by Ron Abate. Amazing teacher, and an amazing guy...

"You don't do Drum Corps because you like it. No one likes practicing all day! You do Drum Corps because you want to be perfect at something."

There's my two cents... maybe not the best of the crop, but i still have many years yet to be screamed at!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god! I am laughing out loud at my computer as I read this stuff. My co-workers think I’m crazier that usual.

“Saddle Up!”

“Listen!”

“Louder!” followed by “Don’t overplay!”

“Very nice, however we’re playing in 4/4”

“What WAS that?”

“You’re not boys, you’re men. Start acting like it!”

“Last one back (to the starting line) does 10!”

“Run, run, run!”

“Opener!”

“Take no prisoners!”

“No, no, no, no!”

And my new favorite;

“One inch off the drumhead”

"OK, at least the release was clean." (bad roll)

"MAN, that thing had hair on it's ###." (really difficult thing played really, really clean.)

"Oh, those aren't flams in there?"

"C'MON!!!"

"Snares are right, even when they're wrong." Bill Sorinson

"When it's dirty, bring your sticks DOWN."

"Don't let your sticks be the boss of you" Bob Rohrbaugh

"Power is nothing without control." (I got it from a tire ad.)

"Come on you pussys!" Mark Castillio

"Pray" Answer of "what do you do when the roll goes bad?". (see, bring your sticks down.)

Lot's of combined wisdon in our drumline. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

"Contras, play that lick like that one more time and you will suffer death by bonga-bonga..."

from Wayne Downey (that comment was given to us during the first hour of the first camp of the '99 season!)

Christian Beliveau

Brigs contra '99- '02, '04

1978: Ralph Pace to the hornline before an exhibition at Everett (MA) Stadium: "If you don't play loud tonight, I will come down to the field and embarass you!" Maybe not the exact quote but pretty close. Mr Hickey, you may have a better recollection of that quote.

My favorite has to be:

"Would you step on your momma?. . .Would you step on the Bible?. . . Then DON'T STEP ON THE GOD #### SIDELINE" -John Armstrong addressing Rod Purvis, back when stepping on the front sideline was a penalty. :worthy:

a couple of mine:

"Bad tone, pitch, balance,articulation and precision. Other than that, it was perfect!"

"That's so loud, even the deaf judges will hear it"

That's pretty much it, Kevin. Ralph had some beauties. He once made me march an entire rehearsal with my head pointed up to the sky because I looked at the ground after stepping on a rat at a rehearsal behind Northgate. "HICKEY!!!! Don't tell me that's the first time you ever stepped on a rat!!!!! Head up!!!!! UP!!!!!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

STAY THAT WAY!!!!!"

John Bodie and I taught a marching band from Vermont for a couple of years. We were at the Cherry Blossom festival in Washington D.C. and the band was rehearsing on the famous lawn near the Washington Monument. There were hundreds of people watching. John and I were standing on top of a rent-a-truck and John suddenly yells into the bullhorn, "STOP! Just STOP! The fat girl in the blue top? What's your name, honey?" The girl said her name.

John says, "What? I can't hear you". The girl says her name again. John asks me if I know her name and I said I think it's so-and-so. (We hadn't been around the band since early fall, and this was spring.) "Well, now your name is A-*-*-H-O-L-E!!!!!"

In 1976 we had this hippy literally hitchhike his way across the country to follow us on tour. LancerLegend remembers his name, I've forgotten. Somehow, he was allowed to make a speech to the corps during a rehearsal and said, "You people are the greatest thing since 2001 A Space Odyssey." :worthy:

Others I've read.

I think I saw these on Nikki's site about John Brazale (sp?):

Sopranos, I'm going to lose my wonderful personality in about 3 seconds.

(I had to use that one)

I can't believe you let that girl scout troop beat you in Visual last night

(I would of lost it if I was a member)

I tried to search for some Frank Williams quotes. As a friend of mine said after seeing the Glassmen practice this year. "He's the king of ### chewing".

Mike Elam had this gem in front of a bunch of parents.

"What the Fuuuuu FLIP are you doing"?

Another one from Mike.

"Get your eyes off the ground, the ants don't care"

My college band director "Who NEVER yelled":

"God... give me the strength and courage to be patient".

To the snareline when I marched after the outside snare forgot a part... "You forgot? YOU FORGOT!? How can you forget something so important? Its like having sex, THEN putting the condom on!! 'Oh my bad baby, I forgot...' "

Scott Stewart to the Madison Alumni Corps at our July Camp:

You think this is hot? Its only 104 degrees out. Imagine what its like in Iraq right now. Imagine what it would be like for our troops over there. You think THIS is hot? This is COLD. This is where the Iraquis put their beer to keep it cold!