CD recording issues?

question for a sound engineer, it seems the consensus for the 2006 cds is that they are too soft. I am guessing they are recorded at a low level due to high impacts that would be distorted other wise. My question is then, how could one go about fixing that. DCI recordings should be as loud as a live concert cd if not more so. So there has to be a way to raise the bar. DCI is about impact and power. I think the recordings have never given DCI justice in just how powerful an art form it is.

So Larry Rock or Tom Blair just curious if there is anything that eventually can be done!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lay off the compressor! Let the natural dynamics prevail! ####, Stet Richmond knew enough to not artificially enhance the S/N ratio at the expense of musicality and that was 40 years ago when the S/N ratios sucked!

question for a sound engineer, it seems the consensus for the 2006 cds is that they are too soft. I am guessing they are recorded at a low level due to high impacts that would be distorted other wise. My question is then, how could one go about fixing that. DCI recordings should be as loud as a live concert cd if not more so. So there has to be a way to raise the bar. DCI is about impact and power. I think the recordings have never given DCI justice in just how powerful an art form it is.

So Larry Rock or Tom Blair just curious if there is anything that eventually can be done!

After listening to them, I noticed that the first disc is significantly softer than the second. Compare the ends of BK, CC, and Scouts to the end of PR. Everyone knows that PR plays as loud as those other corps, but on the CDs, they are WAY softer.

I listened to Scouts first, then PR and I thought the same thing. Scouts were loud but not louder than PR. To bad they're so soft. I think the amp'ed pit makes it harder to get the right mix.

Edited by acn

After listening to them, I noticed that the first disc is significantly softer than the second. Compare the ends of BK, CC, and Scouts to the end of PR. Everyone knows that PR plays as loud as those other corps, but on the CDs, they are WAY softer.

I felt the same way. BK seemed louder than Cavs or PR, from what I've listened to so far.

By the way, I love, love, love BK's music. They tightened up considerably since the San Antonio APD that I wore out, and they sound great on these CDs.

Anyone else hearing a loud crackling noise at the beginning of the SCV show? Didn't sound like a drum, and I don't remember it from Finals night or my APD.

I haven't listened to SCV yet. Does anyone know if the singer cut out for a second during the Cadets show? I thought I remember hearing that, don't remember whether it was during the opening narration or the ballad.