The 2006 Cavaliers.

Condensed Mahler, Shostakovich and the like is still better than, to me, the Saucedo originals. Condensed Charlie Parker, Count Basie, and the like is still better. I'm not suggesting that the only good music is orchestral in nature. Good music is good music. The Saucedo original stuff just doesn't do it for me. It seems hollow and unmemorable and takes a backseat to the visual.

I agree 100%. The Cavaliers are great, but Saucedo? Ugh, has anyone here actually heard Saucedo's music outside of the drum corps idiom? He needs to stick with teaching, I'm sure others would agree.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant any of the few of you show a little respect ?? Dan, Im surpised at you, what are you even doing in this thread ? Nothing positive to say about this corps at all ? Seems like you just want to create arguments. Oh well, you do do it well, so keep on !! Aint gonna change nothing, and the fact is Cavaliers do play music, they do connect to the audience and they did win the brass title.

Well I wandered in here and became entranced by the sight of the Cavies fans piling on the one guy who didnt love them unconditionally. Evidently respect for their talent wasnt enough, one has to agree that they are the living end. :P Correct me if Im wrong but there have been plenty of threads on DCP where people have argued who should have won in a particular year.

The good thing about this year is that there was something there for everybody.

Those that were able to hear and appreciate the power, humor and emotion in The Cavaliers' book were more than rewarded this year with another amazing aural and visual experience, possibly the best in recent history.

For others who enjoy the beauty of orchestral musical literature adapted for drum corps, Phantom Regiment, Glassmen, Boston, and others provided this in spades.

Plus there was everything in between.

For me, my favorite tracks to listen to are The Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Phantom, Santa Clara, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Blue Knights...it just goes on and on...

This was one of the best DCI seasons ever!

Edited by jaylogan

Well I wandered in here and became entranced by the sight of the Cavies fans piling on the one guy who didnt love them unconditionally. Evidently respect for their talent wasnt enough, one has to agree that they are the living end. :P Correct me if Im wrong but there have been plenty of threads on DCP where people have argued who should have won in a particular year.

But it didnt bother you that he equated my opinions with being on crack ??? ...hmmmmm

~G~

Tell you what, get 3 Cavies recordings from the 80's three from the 90's and three from the 2000's. Listen to them back to back and notice how much LONGER and more developed the music is the earlier the decade. Then go back and time how long the horn line plays. You will notice that the phrases now days are chopped, shorter and lack development. You will also notice that the brass do not play as long as they used to.

When you don't have to sustain a long phrase or play fully developed music, the task of performing is easier. This is not speculation here. If you want to drink the cool-aide the Cavies are giving you thinking that they are playing some high quality literature then go right ahead.

In the '70's, '80's & '90's, the music stood on it's own. I remember my buddies & me listening to the DCI albums & tapes repeatedly at home, in the car, on the bus...because the musicality of the programs was so strong. Today's drum corps put more emphasis on the visual content & gimmicks like the Cavies, Cadets, & others use. Who the heck would listed to the CD of the 2006 Cavies show? Or half of the other top 12 corps??? Yuk...

I think I'll listen to 1976 Blue Devils now...then 1975 Madison...then 1980 27TH & Spirit...

Condensed Mahler, Shostakovich and the like is still better than, to me, the Saucedo originals. Condensed Charlie Parker, Count Basie, and the like is still better. I'm not suggesting that the only good music is orchestral in nature. Good music is good music. The Saucedo original stuff just doesn't do it for me. It seems hollow and unmemorable and takes a backseat to the visual.

condensed mahler/shostakovich would be fine. but not hokie arrangments. mahler would be embarassed if he heard his 2nd sym. arranged the way it was. which brings me back to my argument that have said forEVER. leave the major bigtime titles alone. some stuff doesnt belong on a field.