"After you age out...."

What I here from kids aging out,

"Friends don't let friends march senor corps"

No joke.

And if I remember correctly, this comes from a guy who spent his early years in Westshoremens home town. :P

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to DCA, but they can talk about it all they want when THEY put a 2 hr program on TV.

I'd watch it.

No offense taken!

I absolutely agree that DCA can talk up all-age corps if they ever do a telecast....... and no one should really expect DCI to bend over backwards and plug DCA on a DCI telecast. Why should they? It's THEIR show. They SHOULD, and do, focus on the junior corps. BTW, my wife and I...both who do some work for DCA.... very much enjoyed the ESPN2 DCI telecast this year.

However, the issue I, and many other all-age supporters have had through the years, is when folks on the DCI telecast have said "when you're 22 you're drum corps marching career is over." NOT true. If they only would have inserted the word "your JUNIOR corps marching career is over," I'd be fine with that.

I thank Steve Rondinaro and DCI this year for mentioning the fact that yes, all-age corps do exist. Very much appreciated.

Fran

What I here from kids aging out,

"Friends don't let friends march senor corps"

No joke.

That is like the blind leading the blind.

That is just as bad as a drum corps oldtimer, who hasn't seen a DCI show in years, trashing the junior activity without having any first-hand knowledge whatsoever of the current state of the activity. I've heard those comments first-hand, and I just shake my head because it's sad.

You have no idea over the years how many people I have met in all-age corps who say they once felt the same way.... that senior/all-age corps "was a joke"...not based on their experience, but based on what they had heard.

Once those folks actually took the time to see for themselves, they were very pleasantly surprised.... and they're still involved with all-age corps to this day.

I honestly have never quite "gotten" why, over the years, some junior corps staff members have had such a hostile attitude toward all-age corps. Why should it make any difference to them whether their "students" want to continue their marching careers after turning 22? It won't hurt the junior corps, since THE AGE-OUTS CAN NO LONGER MARCH WITH A JUNIOR CORPS. Why not let the age-outs decide for themselves, instead of trying to "poison the well" by giving them information about all-age corps that is simply not accurate?

OK..... jumping off my soapbox now.

Fran

I love Fran. B)

Members of the Commandant's Own Drum & Bugle Corps are boot camp trained riflemen, who happen to be musicians that do the drum corps thing.

Members of the President's Own are professional musicians, who are given the proper training to act with proper military bearing, like U.S. Marines. However, they will never defend your freedom with a weapon, or put themselves in harm's way.

Thank-you. That is all. :P

Thanks, Mark... I just couldn't remember... I thought I had it right.

I love Fran. B)

Fran rocks. Crazy shirts notwithstanding...

I'm gonna march DCA for sure!

Cool! I'm glad to hear that DCA has expanded up across the snowy borders... :)

Well I'll be the first to admit you are right. I have not made a concerted effort thus far to keep myself up to date on DCA. I'll be sure to do a little more research in the future B)

However, one corps, in one province in Canada isn't exactly what I'd call representation - Canada has been poorly represented in Drum Corps regardless of the organization, (be it DCA or DCI) for decades.

Come on people! In a Country with the second largest land mass in the world, that is in almost every way similar to the States, (except for the beer and government ^_^ ) why aren't there any groups in the REST of the country? I mean, there is more to Canada than Ontario and Quebec, but thats where 90 percent of the drum corps are/have been from. But thats a topic for another time.

As far as representation in DCA, what about the Northwest? (outside California) the Southwest ?(besides San fran) and there are other areas as well. You have to admit, that although it is growing, the amount of states in which you cannot find a DCA corps still heavily outweighs the number that have them.. 36 to 14.... So I still hold to my stance that DCA is not as accessible. (Although I do hope that changes :) )

I take it you are not from Ontario? You could always start a DCA corps in your area (like it's that easy!) :)

I agree - I wish there were more senior corps in Canada. I wish there were more junior corps in Canada. I wish there were more corps of every kind everywhwere. Senior used to be very strong in Canada, centered on Ontario and Quebec since in those days DCA was all north east, but there were two whole divisions of senior corps competing at Canadian Nationals back in the day. Today (afaik) there are only 4 competetive junior corps in all of Canada, 1 competetive senior on the comeback trail, and a whole whack of alumni corps. Times change. But as you say, it is growing again, and the spread across the continent will only continue, IMHO. I'm not so sure about junior though, as the touring costs are so out of the park, but I'd love to see more. This is a great activity, anywhere, any age.

I've posted this before but I'm happy to do it again. If you want to know about DCA check out the website at http://www.dcacorps.org/index.html And if you want to see a video of a classic DCA corps in action at finals last week, click on the video link at http://www.cabs.org/ (slow loading, but worth it!)

Cheers

Jim

Drum corps is a passion, a challenge to put your best on the line, a place to develop life long freindships with other people that only truly know what our disease it really all about. Having been involved in both circuits, I can tell you when something is good, the goose bumps still hit me no matter if they happen during DCI or DCA. Just because you graduate college, doesnt mean you stop learning. If you love to perform, love the activity, just plain do it.

I absolutely agree that DCA can talk up all-age corps if they ever do a telecast....... and no one should really expect DCI to bend over backwards and plug DCA on a DCI telecast. Why should they? It's THEIR show. They SHOULD, and do, focus on the junior corps. BTW, my wife and I...both who do some work for DCA.... very much enjoyed the ESPN2 DCI telecast this year.

However, the issue I, and many other all-age supporters have had through the years, is when folks on the DCI telecast have said "when you're 22 you're drum corps marching career is over." NOT true. If they only would have inserted the word "your JUNIOR corps marching career is over," I'd be fine with that.

I thank Steve Rondinaro and DCI this year for mentioning the fact that yes, all-age corps do exist. Very much appreciated.

Fran

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. I'm not asking for a DCA commercial or anything. I just don't ever want to hear that drum corps is over at 21 and that you can never march again. Cause that's just straight up bunk.