"After you age out...."

Also...

Funny to overhear the REALLY "old timers" out in Rochester complain about all these "kids" (recent age-outs or in their late twenties) that are "taking over" the DCA activity.

In line for a brat at the the Alumni Spectacular show (exhibition corps with members that tend to average ages of 50 or 60) I was told that "This is real drum corps" and that the competitive DCA corps are all "kids that are ruining drum corps."

Same complaint. Different level and a different circuit.

Really though, if you have not seen these top DCA corps, you should. Consider learning curves: every year, DCI corps have to teach -- the PROCESS of learning a show.

You get into the DCA game, and, while there are rookies, a large percentage not only have junior corps experience, but perhaps 10-15 years of DCA experience. Guess who "understands the game" of efficient practice? That's how they can pull off what they do as a weekend activity.

You march two years of junior corps and you think you know it all -- then you get to DCA and you find yourself marching next to a guy that has two DCI rings and been in DCA finals FOR NINE STRAIGHT YEARS and won three times.

Not a "youth activity" -- but a "life activity."

Hmmmm.... what impresses me?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...

Funny to overhear the REALLY "old timers" out in Rochester complain about all these "kids" (recent age-outs or in their late twenties) that are "taking over" the DCA activity.

In line for a brat at the the Alumni Spectacular show (exhibition corps with members that tend to average ages of 50 or 60) I was told that "This is real drum corps" and that the competitive DCA corps are all "kids that are ruining drum corps."

Same complaint. Different level and a different circuit.

LOL, started in a Senior corps in 1974 and marched with guys who started in the late 1950s. Should have heard the B-wording when marching bells and other new stuff started coming out. Same "this ain't DC" and "killing a great thing" comments you hear now.

It's all relative folks. B)

I hope you don't quit everything you do when you feel you have "peaked" at it. I'm disturbed this activity has taught you this lesson.

Why? Why can't he have his own reasons for doing things? If he feels like doing his best and then leaving it at that, it's his own decision.

I hope you don't quit everything you do when you feel you have "peaked" at it. I'm disturbed this activity has taught you this lesson.

At this point in his life he doesn't feel like he wants to march any more. So what? In five years, maybe he'll feel different. I'm not sure why you have a problem with it.

You know i've been waiting on somebody to say that forever! DCA is way abit slower than DCI, but the love and spirt is still there! it is a great experience just like DCI, great for band directors and kids that wanna be in DCI but aren't ready, its the best way to start out! or DIV 2 or 3 corps

DCI. DCA. Alumni corps. Parade corps. Community Band!

IMO, it doesn't matter where you make music as long as you are happy doing it.

The only thing I'll point out is that a fair number of alumni corps welcome people who want to participate and NEVER marched with the competing version of the corps and in some cases, might not have marched at all!

The opportunities are there for those who wish to take advantage.

I totally agree. Play and play often. Music is a viable hobby just like golf and tennis. I have found I have more in common with my community band and corps friends than anyone else out there. Just basic common bond and fun playing. So, do a web search for your local community band that practices 2 hours once a week and join. And come out to watch the rest perform outdoors in the summer - young or old.

Pro baseball players are in top physical condition and their uniforms don't look strange on them. Take a look at the manager though. He doesn't look so hot in his baseball uniform. Ever check out a sunday softball league with guys trying to hold on to their youth while trying not to rip every tendon and fiber in their bodies trying to beat out a grounder to the shortstop? Not to say that you can't keep doing what you love, but at some point, you don't look as cool as you once thought you did.

Before you come off like this, I want you to know that I ran three marathons in 2005 and two in 2006. Not to mention that I lift weights 5 days a week along with training for those marathons. So before you think that all of us dinosaurs are trying to hold on to our youth, find me a person you marched with that has done this. Also I have seen some DCI members that didn't look so good in their uni's as well.

Before you come off like this, I want you to know that I ran three marathons in 2005 and two in 2006. Not to mention that I lift weights 5 days a week along with training for those marathons. So before you think that all of us dinosaurs are trying to hold on to our youth, find me a person you marched with that has done this. Also I have seen some DCI members that didn't look so good in their uni's as well.

I'll go with that. I've seen a few DCI kids who looked like they might have skipped a few morning runs.