DCA..Season ending Withdrawl

If drumcorps season is over, it must be....HOCKEY SEASON. Camps open this week

No kidding!!! For me it's rugby season. Bring on the scrums!!!

Sigh. If I could only play again. Then I wouldn't have to settle for drum corps as a competitive outlet.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If drumcorps season is over, it must be....HOCKEY SEASON. Camps open this week

Why do Canadians only do it doggy style??????? So they don't miss any hockey!!!!!(no offeness intended,I'm half Canadian myself)

Edited by zarblap

I don't know if it counts as withdrawel, but this season was kind of a let down. We had our best overall show in the worst possible conditions and only a couple dozen people got to see it live. In addition to having no photos of the event taken by Jolesch. And the video apparently isn't so great either. Throw into the mix not making finals, even with the highest corps score in it's all-age/senior configuration and it's like the season didn't end, it just faded away.

In the meantime, I'm counting the days till I get to pack up and head home for the first time since May. And counting the $$$ to see if I can cover the cost of gas to get home. It's been a great season, and worth the costs. It's just a shame that our final field show was done to a small private audience, under the title of DCA prelims.

I'm listening to some CD's I bought at DCA,right now I have on Rochester crusaders on at the 1965 dream playing in the rain with thunder and lighting very loud on the recording. I also got the 1969 Shine show from Toronto, it's the only time you'll here keyboards played before DCI started, by Boston Crusaders who were told to lose them(which they did) or be disqualfied every time they came out with them,very historical moment in jr. drum corps.

Edited by zarblap

i need something to help my spirits ~ not sure what ~ but definately something

'65 Dream - Rochester Crusaders

WOW... I love reliving that memory... while the recording captures the audio and the thunder... what's missing is the lighting strikes and dust devils all over the field... first time I ever marched THROUGH a tornado - they were swirling everywhere... and yes, the guard was nervous... 7' poles held aloft...

As you can hear in the "still of the night" exit... the audience toughed it out and responded amazingly to having witnessed the "super" corps of '65 march through the unGodly weather...

We marched 50 horns - a number only exceeded prior to that by Cabs... and I would guess it was the loudest 50 horns drum corps had heard up to that point. And as most know, we detroned the Cabs (there first loss at an American Legion Championship in many years) in Montnomah (sp?) Stadium in Portland OR

If you didn't recognize everything... here's the book:

"Frank's Fanfare" - opening fanfare was pounded out on a piano in the fall by one of our tenor drummers - Frank Michaels... and translated onto the field by Dr. Edward Mizma. Hang in there Frank - he's had some serious health problems recently.

OTL "Devil At 4 O'Clock" - theme from the Frank Sinatra movie drove the corps onto the field with a passion.

"Valient Years" - Theme to the Winston Churchill written TV series on WWII (opening of the color pre)

"The Navy Hymn" ("Eternal Father") - what more can be said... brought the house down with a sophisticated closing of Lutkin's "Sevenfold Amen".

"When My Lover Has Gone" - Production number into concert with solo by Big Mike who is STILL soloing for St. Joe's Alumni

Concert of "Cubana Chant" into "Goldfinger" - LOUD, LOUDER and LOUDEST all in one concert...

Production number of "I talk to the Trees" with one of the first ever Contra Bass Solos - a solo which the previous year in 1964 had been played by none other than Cab Alumni Director Peter Bishop

Exit of "In the Still of the Night" featuring a wonderful duet and solo highlighting the ability of the late great Ray Mura...

Finale Tag - Crusader's theme "Tonight" from "West Side Story"

There is not a note of that show I could not play today without reading music... the years that came later often have faded into mush.... but every note of 1965 remains clear to this day...

thanks for the memories

lol make that "lightning strikes"

There is not a note of that show I could not play today without reading music... the years that came later often have faded into mush.... but every note of 1965 remains clear to this day...

thanks for the memories

Sweet!

You know, I bet we all have that one show we remember like it was yesterday. For me, it's the original Florida Suite. I can still, to this day, play most of the contra parts, especially all the cool licks.

i need something to help my spirits ~ not sure what ~ but definately something

loud blaring horns and drums, bus fumes and time with friends (oh yeah, and alcohol!)