• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that makes some sence.

If you had props placed at strategic places on the field...you would at least have some idea where you are at. :)

Funny. We had props on wheels with MBI. The wind was strong enough to blow them out of position on the field! That took some doing.

Say what you will, but this will be a semi finals performance I'll never forget.

So there's this corps that's had a tough season. They have only one goal...MAKE FINALS. This particular corps is doing a rather hard show, and it's been changed a million times, meaning they've spent more time learning drill than cleaning it.

Anyway, this corps is ranked out of finals going into DCA, by several points. They know they have to put on an amazing performance or they are dead. The only problem is, there's a hurricane on, and despite the fact that the field was just lined, they are having trouble finding thier opening sets.

One would expect them to cave, becuase pressure on a younger bunch is tough. But thier drum major heard the following quote as he climbed up on the poduim...

"Lines? We don't need no stinkin' lines!"

That became the battle cray, and that corps went on to perform thier best show of the season BY FAR, and made finals as a result. They decided that no amount of adversity was going to stop them. THEY were not daunted.

Oh, this wasn't fiction. This was Carolina Gold.

If only every corps that took the field would have had that attitude instead of only most of them...

This has been completely predictable. Legitimate concerns raised and we get this condescending crap for the east. FYI we were not daunted, we scored the highest score ever achieved by our corps.

This has been completely predictable. Legitimate concerns raised and we get this condescending crap for the east. FYI we were not daunted, we scored the highest score ever achieved by our corps.

You know, Dan, your whiny attitude isn't reflecting well on your corps.

I posted that TRUE story as an example of why can be achieved when you don't worry about the small stuff. It's a shame you decided to turn it into a Kiltie-bashing moment (which is certainly was not).

Of course, your corps is about the only ones whining. But then, you're always a victim of something...

Edited by Kamarag

I think LASERS are the answer. Given today's technology why not project light beams onto the field?

I still have to look back when the TBIRDS (then the Meadville TBIRDS) were just getting into field shows (1963). All our rehearsals were on a gravel parking lot with a 5 degree grade and no lines. Ya.....that was back in the '60s when we marched elbow to elbow. We could do our drill at midnight with no lights and be on the money. (I know......UPHILL both WAYS b**bs )

Gene, you couldn't see the lines because of the 3 feet of snow you had to march thru. :P

And that was after you milked the cows.....

Doing drill around parked cars is fun too. :worthy:

You know, Dan, your whiny attitude isn't reflecting well on your corps.

I posted that TRUE story as an example of why can be achieved when you don't worry about the small stuff. It's a shame you decided to turn it into a Kiltie-bashing moment (which is certainly was not).

Of course, your corps is about the only ones whining. But then, you're always a victim of something...

This is not about Kilties its about negative conditions that werent addressed well by the contest organizers. You are the one that decided to take part of the Kilties motto as a criticism. In any case my corps is not whining about anything, I am no spokesman for my corps anymore than you are. And I dont think you are representing your corps very well either.

For some reason some people find it impossible to separate criticism from who is giving it. Either DCA could have done a better job or they didnt. And its fairly easy to see why some wouldnt want to voice concerns here as they will have their corps labelled as whiners for doing it.

For some reason some people find it impossible to separate criticism from who is giving it. Either DCA could have done a better job or they didnt. And its fairly easy to see why some wouldnt want to voice concerns here as they will have their corps labelled as whiners for doing it.

It's easy to seperate criticism from who is giving it. It's all in how you do it. A great example is Fred's call for feedback thread. Criticism there was well-thought out and addressed. In this thread? Not so much. I say again, go back and read it from the beginning with fresh eyes.

Edited by Kamarag

..........at least you can admit that you are not representing your corps well,............I will give you that one!

So lets review, in this thread, I've been called a whiner, a has been, a troublemaker, someone with unreasonable expectations, ........

Meanwhile there's some 10 corps that ONLY got to perform in the middle of a hurricane. Five of those didn't even get a single Jolesch photo taken of their show. And nobody really knows how bad the video will be or when we'll get them. Much less the state of the audio recording.

And then there's the slight performance order/seeding issue.

Corps that beat corps that went on after them at prelims:

SoCal Dream: 74.525 (0.4) - bested 4 post corps performances

White Sabres: 75.50 (0.0) - bested 2 post corps performances

---

Frontier: 80.288 (0.0) - bested 2 post corps performances

Music City Legend: 80.613 (0.0) - bested 2 post corps performances

Kilties: 84.213 (0.0) - bested 2 post corps performances

Hurricanes; 88.263 (0.0) - bested 2 post corps performances

CorpsVets: 87.363 (0.0) - bested 1 post corps performance

Syracuse Brigadiers: 91.063 (0.0) - bested 1 post corps performance

Minnesota Brass, Inc.: 92.50 (0.0) - bested 1 post corps performance

Corps with NO Jolesch Pictures at Prelims of their show: