Show of the Night

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That show had one of the better flows to any show I have ever seen. To me, that is vintage Phantom. The deep sounding drumline and hornlines.

I think if that show was done a few years earlier, it might have won. It had that campionship performance to it. The crowd went nuts for that show.

The famous visual was in earlier in the season and was removed, if I remember correctly.

I feel the placements were fair for all the corps. Yes, I was able to watch much of the show from the stands until Cavies went on...though the memory is fading...

SCV deserved their placement, IMO. The brass--espcially upper voices just weren't there all season. Visually, the feet were very dirty, and there were a couple of guard mishaps. Finals night, someone made a huge mistake with the opening chopper timing--just sounded like beating drums--but tey pulled it together for the finale!

That said, SCV's show was one of my favorites that year. The members of SCV were also great people and fun to hang out with after shows.

Edited by ravedodger

Summer of '91 had a lot of Great Shows Musically that year. Had a lot of times to see Phantom while on tour..and the show seemed to get better and better it really pulled you in. NESSUM DORMA and PAGLIACCI if anything Vintage Phantom is ever revisited those 2 should be at the top of the list..TOO AWESOME!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Holy freakin' crap. I'd never actually seen the video till just now (thank you Google Video!). I could never really get into the audio recording, but WOW. You have to see it to believe it. What an awesome performance!!!!

Where did Phantom's percussion place in 91? I keep hearing the drumline was dirty in the early 90's, but from what I can remember & the recordings I have, they sound pretty d*mn good to me (but I was a sop & guard person, so...).

1991 Phantom hornline had issues esp sop sololist, it sounds like he blew his "load" early and didn't have enough chop left for the Maynardish(?) (GOD BLESS) solo.

Ray did have a problem finals night. Many of us heard him 'on' prior to then.

1991 Phantom hornline had issues esp sop sololist, it sounds like he blew his "load" early and didn't have enough chop left for the Maynardish(?) (GOD BLESS) solo.

A guy I know had the quarters or semis recording and the sop soloist did fine then. I first saw that show on a crappy tape of the PBS broadcast. They showed some clips from I&E and there was a Phantom sop guy playing variation 3 of Fantasy Brillante. :worthy: