Well, I was there as a spectator in 1972 and the quality which I witnessed in the top five has remained emblazoned in my drum corps memory banks all those years. I have been fascinated to note in this thread that there are many others with the same memories.

But, memory is a funny thing. We tend to make pleasant memories more grandiose over time remembering the pleasant aspects and forgetting the bad. So when I was at DCA this past weekend and spied the Fleetwood stand, I immediately went over and purchased all three volumes of the 1972 DCA. I had not heard the recording in over thirty years and I was curious to see if my memory was playing games with me compared to the actual recording.

And you know what? The performances were that great! Man, that truely was when drum corps was drum corps!! From the rich baritone strains and electric drumming of the Cabs "Captain From Castile" to the Skyliners punching holes through the stadium with the world's most powerful lead line (and OMG the baritone line), to the Bucs classic "Russian Sailors' Dance" OTL rocketing them into orbit with the prestissimo finale, to the perfection and musicality of the Rochester Crusaders, to the Hurricanes' masterful performance of "Fanfare For the New" and the rudimental rage of their drum line, this was definitely a championship for the history books. All of you participants should be proud. Alas, modern day drum corps does pale in comparison. Where has the thrill gone?

Geoff:

Amen!

You can also buy the videos performances of those same 5 corps at http://www.drumcorpsvideos.com. The videos are black and white but they recapture that night. I have our performance and Skyliners. I keep watching those videos over and over and it gives me goose bumps because they were indeed of a golden era, unlike the homogenized product of today.

Edited by cabalumsw

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoff:

Amen!

You can also buy the videos performances of those same 5 corps at http://www.drumcorpsvideos.com. The videos are black and white but they recapture that night. I have our performance and Skyliners. I keep watching those videos over and over and it gives me goose bumbs because they were indeed a golden, unkike the homogenized product of today.

thanks for the web site. i'll get all top 5. this will refresh my memory. i've never seen videos of 72.

thanks for the web site. i'll get all top 5. this will refresh my memory. i've never seen videos of 72.

Don: They are treasures you will enjoy. The sound quality is not bad and the video is a little grainy but something is better than nothing. They recently came out in DVD. I wish they could convert the junior portion of the 1969 Dream but the owners say they cannot locate a converter and are not sure of the condition of the tapes. Tha is sad because it contains one of the last performances of St. Lucy's Cadets.

Don: They are treasures you will enjoy. The sound quality is not bad and the video is a little grainy but something is better than nothing. They recently came out in DVD. I wish they could convert the junior portion of the 1969 Dream but the owners say they cannot locate a converter and are not sure of the condition of the tapes. Tha is sad because it contains one of the last performances of St. Lucy's Cadets.

i can't wait to get the dvd's . it's hard to remember what the drills looked like. thanks again

Hello Steve,

Did they actually record the juniors at the 1969 Dream? Man, with todays technology, I would hope they could convert or restore those tapes. BS, St.Lucy's, 27th and Garfield. That would be great.

Hello Steve,

Did they actually record the juniors at the 1969 Dream? Man, with todays technology, I would hope they could convert or restore those tapes. BS, St.Lucy's, 27th and Garfield. That would be great.

Danny,

The recordings were made using state-of-the-art TV studio filming equipment from that era. The Haas's did an extraordinary amount of work in enhancing the quality of the original tapes and the final product is very good ... I've had the Sky shows on VHS for more than 10 years now and have since transferred them to DVD to stop the wearing down of the tapes ... it's truly a trip back in time to see the shows ... I think your father is even on some of the shows juding at the Dream! ...

Hope all is well with you,

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

Hello Steve,

Hi Dan:

Have not talked in awhile. How have you been?

After seeing the 1969 Senior portion of the Dream being offered, I called the Haas family and asked about the Junior portion of the show. The Juniors were recorded but never converted to VHS but the original tapes are still in the can. I spoke to Jackie Haas and later Christine Hass and I was told they used two different recording tapes at the 69 Dream. They cannot find a machine to convert the tape format of the Junior show and Christine was not certain of the condition of the tapes. Those performances are priceless. It is a shame that those tapes probably will never be seen. Christine did say she would continue searching because they had family stuff on some of those tapes as well so it means a lot to them as well.

Edited by cabalumsw

Andy and Steve,

Things are going well, thank you. I hope all is well with the both of you. I'll probably try to pick up DVD's of 1972 and I hope they can eventually convert the junior portion of the 1969 Dream. Also, I'm hoping to get back in the mix drum corps wise next season. I'll keep you posted. Take care!

Andy and Steve,

Things are going well, thank you. I hope all is well with the both of you. I'll probably try to pick up DVD's of 1972 and I hope they can eventually convert the junior portion of the 1969 Dream. Also, I'm hoping to get back in the mix drum corps wise next season. I'll keep you posted. Take care!

I just found this thread a few days ago, and I LOVE it! First, it is a year old!! Amazing for DCP threads. Started in Sept 2006? Next, I was there with Cabs in 1972. Tuthill was caption head and arranger, and Jack Pratt and I were Asst. Instructors. I also played in the line on snare, while Jack didn't.

As a staff member of Caballeros, and a snare drummer in the line, I would clearly remember, in my many meetings/discussions with George and Jack, if we significantly watered down the parts, as my friend Mike Siglow alleges. (Mikey, Mikey, Mikey.) Please know that we didn't. Yes, we revised some of the parts; everyone with half a brain does so. But we did NOT take out the giant eraser, as Mikey alleges. Yes, we were bummed out to lose to Crusaders by half a tenth in Chicago at Nationals. Yet, they were an excellent corps that year.

I, and many others, believe that the main reason Cabs won DCA that year was that we "went on tour". That is, we boarded buses and went on the road. We rehearsed 7 to 10 hours a days for a several days straight. I remember drumming until midnight, in the dark, because Pratt said it was better than sitting around drinking (and he was right). This intense rehearsal time was a major reason why we improved so dramatically. I remember going to the Crusaders motel after Finals, even though we lost to them; some of us had an ongoing and friendly relationship with some of the women in their guard, and the chemistry was great fun.

I've known Mike Siglow since the late 60s. My dad was the drum instructor in Mike's first drum corps (Madonna, from Fort Lee, check his signature). He marched Sky and I marched Cabs in the early 70s. He and I later did undergraduate studies together in the late 70s. When we'd go the the Rathskeller together on campus for a Diet Pepsi, we agreed to NOT talk about the 72 DCA championships. :)

Great memories!!! Thanks to all of you who posted for bringing back such great memories.

PS In addition to Art Bouvier and Al "Nipples", please know, MikeD, that we also had the reknowned David Tintle, ex-Cadet and current NJ band director, in our drum line that year.

PS In addition to Art Bouvier and Al "Nipples", please know, MikeD, that we also had the reknowned David Tintle, ex-Cadet and current NJ band director, in our drum line that year.

[/size]

That's right....he was a one of those who quit Garfield when George was fired after 71, a move I will never understand (George being fired, that is)...well...actually I think it was done by Don Angelica to give Fred Sanford a spot, as he was hired to be Bergenfield's band director for 71-72, so maybe I DO understand after all! :P

BTW, I was percussion arranger and instructor for the King's Regiment in 77, a merger of the Wayne Monarchs and Greenwood Lake Lakers, and Jack Pratt worked with me that year. What a neat guy! I spent many an hour in his home in Hawthorne.