Hey Dave:

Behave now, LOL! If you have read his posts he flip flops back and forth. Several posts he rips Hawthorne saying we deserved fifth at Finals in 1972 ,then he says he has no problem with Hawthorne and even drank with us in Chicago. Yeah, probably to gloat. All I can say is I have a DCA 1972 patch that I still wear today and I have a video copy of our performance that night at Finals. We can listen to all who cried they were cheated by timing judges and the sort and that we were not really good in 73 and 74 because it was just everybody else sucked worse than us. Sour grapes is all it is. We who were there know how hard we worked in Chicago and it paid off. Everyone was enjoying seeing Hawthorne while we were down but we did not give up. I highly respected the 1971 and 1972 Skyliners because they were indeed a very good corps but we were hungrier at the end of the season in 1972.

i'm not flip flopping. i didn' say you deserved 5th at dca. i said i didn't think you won. i think sky won. i was with cru for years and had a good time with the cabs all the time. i never ever commented on '73 or '74. i thonk you guys have sour grapes about chicago. we won that night and you guys protested the show to the american legion and i remember bruni assuring us that they wouldn't take the title from us. all i know is after that the whole season changed for all the top corps. it's all history now but it's just something that is hard for some corps to forget. just don't understand how a corps could improve 6 points in 6 days.........but somehow the score says you did.....so be it

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hurcs and bucs never beat cru in the regular season. bucs beat cru at dca and hurc tied cru.

donincardona:

that's still pretty amazing....72 was without question the most competitive season ever in DCA IMHO.

Too all the other posters, Cabs were great, as well as Bucs, Cru, hurcs and Yankee Rebels. it was just a fantastic year.

donincardona:

that's still pretty amazing....72 was without question the most competitive season ever in DCA IMHO.

Too all the other posters, Cabs were great, as well as Bucs, Cru, hurcs and Yankee Rebels. it was just a fantastic year.

yes it was. probably the best ever. everyone from top to bottom was good.

I was marching with the Marine Drum Corps in Hawaii in late 72 and remember we just got the Fleetwood records and listening over and over again and then always looking at the scores and saying "who won?". Any one of the top six corps could have won that night. With out a doubt a fantastic show. When I finally got to see some video of the show years later I was blown away actually seeing visual along with the audio. Of course the penalties helped decide the outcome whether everyone agrees or not but you can't hear or see that difference in any of the performances and that is what us fans remember. All I remember is listening to some of the BEST drum corps shows ever. Thanks to Cabs, Sky, Hurcs, Cru, Bucs, and Rebs for memories I still treasure today. :doh::doh::laugh:

just don't understand how a corps could improve 6 points in 6 days.........but somehow the score says you did.....so be it

Most likely the main reason: Legion sheets vs. the DCA sheets, and vastly different judging slates. Wasn't all that unusual for big score and placement swings from Legion shows to DCA shows. Case in point: In '66 the Sunrisers didn't even make top five for finals in Washington D.C. Legion Nationals, then turned around and beat us at the '66 DCA Finals a few weeks later (in addition to Sky and Hurcs beating us as well). Dave, you were in Sun then, right? If you were, I bet you recall knocking us off in Bridgeport at DCA for the first time ever.

All past history. 1972 was a great year, unquestionably. To this day, I regret I sat out that season for personal reasons. At least I got to see that DCA Finals from the stands. Probably one of the single best contests I ever witnessed. Inspired me to return for at least one more season.

Nope, can't blame Legion sheets or judges since CRU had beaten Cabs all year until Saratoga. Cabs just plain improved more than we did in that time period. Great year!

I just got the DVD of '72 Hurcs & '72 Cru @DCA

What I love is the obvious enthusiasm of the members of the 'bolts

It stands out. The corps could not wait to step off the line!

There are GE moments all over the place.

Horn soloists, drum soloists, drum solo visuals (what exactly are they doing?)

unique flag-pre, and the horn wheel during Hang Em... which was nailed

the way the corps joined ranks and exited, the way the contras wheeled to exit....

and the finish line performance though, talk about letting it rip!

nobody enjoyed performing more than this

being a winner is part score and part an attitude

cap001.jpg

cap002.jpg

"1972":

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting those pictures of the Hurricanes!!!! :doh:

Elphaba

I was at DCA in "72 and being a SKY fan at the time I obviously was rooting for them ( I joined the following year and lived through the fallout). As other people have mentioned there were "smokin" performances up and down the line by all of the corps. in the final analysis that is what you have to hold on to. You have no control of what the man is going to put down on paper in his adjudication so if you maxed out your performance, hold on to that.

In 1972 we went to Chicago for the American Legion Nationals and an exhibition at the first DCI Championship. We knew the show had problems so we took the 8 days together to change some of the drill and music.

Hey Williams,...This the part I'm talking about. B) Geez,... Who'da ever thought. :lol: Looks like someone has integrity to tell the truth. And yes Steve you probably did "conveniently" did sleep through the changes. :doh:

Hey Williams,...This the part I'm talking about. B) Geez,... Who'da ever thought. :wacko: Looks like someone has integrity to tell the truth. And yes Steve you probably did "conveniently" did sleep through the changes. :doh:

Dear Mr. Siglow:

The point I was trying to make was your specific reference to the drum parts being watered down in Chicago. I do not remember any drum parts being watered down as you say they were and I did not believe Dave Saccente was alluding to that. Hell, we always used Nationals to make changes in the drill. We made drill changes down in Miami in 1974.

By the way, how have you been?

Repectfully,

Steve :doh: