Thanks Eddy for a little control here and Don I won't make a threat to you or anyone else but I NEVER back down when someone gets personal, not now not ever,and by the way after 72' I was with PHOENIX not CRU. and also let me say one of the reason's drum corps is so special to many of us who marched ALOT of years are those memories. When I get together with people I've played with and against we have some not down drag out arguments about who was better than or now but we never make it personal. My respect for getlemen like Ed Reese and his knowledge and experience in this activity goes without question, just as does for all the others here on DCP who have earned the right to give ther opiion. By the way was was 77 your last year of compitition? Just wondering because mine was 2002.

i sat out 2 years and went back in 1980. BIG MISTAKE. sorry did'nt mean to get personal.........it was supposed to be my sometimes dry humour. alls well on my end. let's not ever forget we're all brothers. we lived and breathed our lives together. peace .

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there you go I made another mistake Don, 2002 was my last year playing at a DCA final, but than I won 4 DCA BRASS ENSEMBLE CHAMPIOMSIP'S in a row with the HITMEN and with PRIME TIME BRASS, and did I tell you I had the honor and privilage to be inducted with the first group in the DRUM CORP HALL OF FAME as an asscociate member? I mention this NOT to bragg but I beleive it does give me the right to have an opinion in this forum whether you agree with me or not. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

Well there you go I made another mistake Don, 2002 was my last year playing at a DCA final, but than I won 4 DCA BRASS ENSEMBLE CHAMPIOMSIP'S in a row with the HITMEN and with PRIME TIME BRASS, and did I tell you I had the honor and privilage to be inducted with the first group in the DRUM CORP HALL OF FAME as an asscociate member? I mention this NOT to bragg but I beleive it does give me the right to have an opinion in this forum whether you agree with me or not. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

that's great man. how's dave martin doing? haven't seen him in 25 years. nice to know people from rochester are still doing well in drumcorps. all that marched have right to opinions and none of us should try to take that away from anybody. by the way i do agree with you about the hornline being the best in dca EVER. IT WAS SOOOOOOO SWEET. hope all works out for your family and everyone gets well.

This quote from you at least implies that, IMO....and I guess Jim's as well....

BTW...why would simplifying a book, even if that was done, automatically lower their GE score? It might have been more musical and fit the show better, and if better performed the arranger's original ideas could come across better as well.

Demand does not equate to GE in and of itself. Never has.

Oh, and I have a degree from a University too....Seton Hall. :P

OK MikeD! You saved me some research by showing Mike Siglow's self-indicting post where he stated, FOUR TIMES no less, that the Cabs "watered down" their drum book. (As he's clearly denied that he did)

Point! Set! Match! I say again: "Oh, Mikey, Mikey, Mikey." :sleeping:

And Dr. Davis you get extra credit for your astute point that simplifying a drum book does not AUTOMATICALLY lower ones GE score. Au contraire, Monsieur Sigleaux!! C'mon, Stevie, pile on Mike NYSkyliner again; just for the FUN of it!! And, of course, as you/we well know by now, he's just ASKING for it. :) Thanks Mike S. for being such a good sport in this slam/dunk.

Do we all agree, that "72 was the best for the quailty of all DCA Corps, and the most controvercial? I'm looking at both in the same year. If not, what year would it be?

agreed!!

OK MikeD! You saved me some research by showing Mike Siglow's self-indicting post where he stated, FOUR TIMES no less, that the Cabs "watered down" their drum book. (As he's clearly denied that he did)

Same response to you as to Mr. Davis Jamesie (or is it Jamesey?) The point I was making was to Mr. Williams assertion that you made NO changes to your drum book. Both Dave AND yourself (as an instructor that year) have refuted that assertion that indeed you DID change/revise your book.

AGAIN, could you point out exactly where the word "SIGNIFICANTLY" is again Mike (or Jamesie,....or is it Jamesey?)?

QUOTE(MikeD @ Sep 11 2007, 11:53 AM)

This quote from you at least implies that, IMO....and I guess Jim's as well....

Well naturally. Both of you were music majors, not english majors and obviously you both skipped the reading comprehension lectures. :sleeping:

BTW...why would simplifying a book, even if that was done, automatically lower their GE score? It might have been more musical and fit the show better, and if better performed the arranger's original ideas could come across better as well.

I think that hand to hand flams would get a higher GE score that a 4 count 2 stroke roll, but that's just silly ole me.

And Dr. Davis you get extra credit for your astute point that simplifying a drum book does not AUTOMATICALLY lower ones GE score. Au contraire, Monsieur Sigleaux!!

But in certain situations it most definitely does. GE being such an individual decision open to all kinds of intepretations that it can vary widely from one judges perspective to another and many judges (in ANY GE caption) may (and have) disagree(d). Obviously Mr. Bennett did so up in Schenectady that year without knowing that you had "revised" your book (and I'm being kind here). Execution is/was an entirely different story. AGAIN, "Revising" the book amounts to changes that would make it more conducive to presenting your drumline in a more favorable light thus enhancing your chances of getting a higher score. Nothing more and nothing less. In order to do that the revisions that you made placed less demand on you drumline, thus "watering down your book" to "whatever" degree.

C'mon, Stevie, pile on Mike NYSkyliner again; just for the FUN of it!! And, of course, as you/we well know by now, he's just ASKING for it. :) Thanks Mike S. for being such a good sport in this slam/dunk.

Have NO fear Jamesie (or is it Jamesey?) my back is much stronger then the cheek that was slapped all those years ago at the German Hall. That, Mr. Melon, is why you and I were always so reluctant to further discuss 72. And again keep in mind, I NEVER drank Diet Pepsi during my entire college/university career in the "Rat". :)

Mr. Williams is the only loser in this issue. To Mr. Jamesie Melon (or is it Jamesey Melon?) and Mr. Davis? The rest is all a nonsequitur debate which could (and probably will) go on for as long as the scoring system for GE continues as it is. You both can have the last word but all I'm hearing is a couple of band/drum corps instructors trying to get a higher score for their band/drum corps. Carry on carryin' on!

:) B)

Edited by NYSkyliner

QUOTE(NYSkyliner @ Sep 10 2007, 04:34 PM)

Could you please show the quote where I say the you "significantly watered down your book"?

It was during their Chicago tour that the Cabs watered down their drum show. During the entire year their drum book was a VERY difficult one and they didn't have the horses the execute such a demanding book. As well, all year long they were receiving top GE drum marks which such a demanding drum book could very well call for and if it were executed properly they would have been receiving top overall drum marks all year and finishing higher in the standings all year long. When they got to Schenectady and performed with their watered down drum book their execution drum mark was raised substantially but with the watered down drum book their GE drum mark should have gone down as their "new" drum book didn't deserve the same GE marks that it had been getting earlier that year. All that the GE drum judge knew is that they had been getting high GE drum marks all year long and gave them the same GE marks for the Schenectady show. Thus is how the (once again) drum judging was crucial in the defeat of a GREAT Skyliner Drum Corps. The watering down of a show is a tactic that has been used for decades. If you write a book that is above the heads of the talent you have and you want to win, you've got to do something that will be in your best interest to win, and that is what occurred.

Could you point out exactly where the word "SIGNIFICANTLY" is again Mike?

Well naturally. Both of you were music majors, not english majors and obviously you skipped the reading comprehension lecture.

Well, mentioning something that many times sure implies that you think it was significant, and not just something small and insignificant.

I think that hand to hand flams would get a higher GE score that a 4 count 2 stroke roll, but that's just silly ole me.

Why? Depends what fits the music better.

But in certain situations it most definitely does.

Nope. Not in and of itself.

Oh, and I have a degree from a University too....Seton Hall. :P

Really? I have a cousin who got his degree from there. His brother-in-law was vice president of the Alumni Association and the one who set up the transportation for those students, family and friends who traveled west for the NCAA tourney when you made it to finals.

Cool. I got my Masters from there in 1980, in Educational Administration and Supervision.

"In this corner.........please welcome MAULIN' MIKE SIIIIIIIGGGGGGGLOOOOOWWWWWW, the Skyliner Sniper!!!!!!!!!!

And in this corner.......let's hear it for JOLTIN' JIM MAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEENNNNNN, the Well-Dressed Warrior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornerman for Jim Mallen....... MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKE DAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVIIIIISSSS!!!!!

OK, gentlemen........ 12 rounds, Marquis of Queensbury rules, eight-ounce gloves. Let's give the paying customers a show!!!!!!"

Fran