San Antonio Crossmen

Ah, it all becomes clear now.

Move the Crossmen to Texas, home of several BOA champions to draw from.

DCI turns into BOA Summer.

Remember, it was Mr. Hopkins who said Drum Corps = Band.

I wish no ill on Crossmen. I want nothing but for them to succeed. I feel bad for the vets who will now have to triple their work load to be able to afford to march there.

However, I have a suspicious feeling that there are alterior motives behind this move by a certain individual.

These are MY opinions, and are definately speculation.

well if there are alterior motives by said individual then he better get hoppin' on them because in 2 years crossmen are a free corps.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should review a copy of YEA budgets; you got a link to their year end reports and finical statements?

Here’s one, seeing that YEA has been proven incapable of managing the crossmen, why should the cadets get a free pass…I don’t get how they can keep them so separate…if crossmen are in such bad shape, than why are cadets so healthy?

Because the Cadets draw in almost twice as many donations as the Crossmen do? Because the Cadets sold more souveniers than the Crossmen do? In other words, because in the mechanisms of touring, YEA was spending as much on the Crossmen as on the Cadets, but they weren't drawing in as much revenue?

Hop has been pretty upfront about it in his blog for years now - the Cadets pretty much break even; the Crossmen were doing about 200k less than that.

Mike

Gross mismanagement of the crossmen.

YEA was fully capable of achieving the top levels of success for one of its corp – so they have the ability, just not the desire or wherewithal to dedicate their efforts on the crossmen. Maybe they just could not handle managing 2 corps properly, seems to be the case

The Cadets were already a top level corps before YEA! rescued the Xmen from dissolving.

Did not notice the cadets lacking funds as the crossmen had the pink tables pulled from them

YEA! assumed the Xmen debt to the tune of 'hundred of thousands' of dollars...and the continued to operate at a loss during this time. They got new equipment, unis, busses, trucks, etc....and had many successful seasons....including the last two.

Maybe I should review a copy of YEA budgets; you got a link to their year end reports and finical statements?

Me? No...Guidestar is one place to look.

Here’s one, seeing that YEA has been proven incapable of managing the crossmen, why should the cadets get a free pass…I don’t get how they can keep them so separate…if crossmen are in such bad shape, than why are cadets so healthy?

The Crossmen have been a drain on the YEA! finances....they cost more than they take in. It doesn't mean that YEA! treated them badly...just that they DID have to continue to pump funds from their other operations into the corps....which they did.

And maybe I was wrong about not supporting crossmen, maybe I should throw all my support behind them and send them a fat check, their success would show how inept their past management really was…but this is so much for them to overcome, they have been put in a huge whole

How do you know what the terms of this move are? Setting them up in alignment with one of the top band programs in Texas, and maybe the US itself...is far better than folding them or casting them adrift to sink or swim.

Wow, quite a thread.

Here are my thoughts, comments, and criticisms:

- first of all, all of you griping about the move, bemoaning the move, saying they should have done something else.....it is done, move forward, no amount of words can change what has happened

- everyone of you that has said they felt bad for the members that will now have to travel: FIND a returning member and offer to help them out. (and know that I am doing exactly that. I am a proud sponsor of a multi-year veteran and we will be supporting her again this year. I have seen her posts on here already and though I would support her anywhere, she is going to make this work. And, I know you are reading this, so I want you to know that I cried when I read your post and am very proud of you)

- yes, staff continuity is the key ingredient to consistent, competitive drum corps. This is my worry for the corps. However, in every organization that has really great continuity, guess what, they all had their first year. Hopefully this is the first year for many many years. Be positive. Move forward.

- Crossmen mean so much to the drum corps activity. If the choice is folding, or moving. Take moving. They will get their feet under them and move forward. How many people remember the Colts leaving Baltimore? They have continued their identity in Indy and have flourished. Let us have the same happy thoughts for this corps, and the kids. Because at the end of the day, it is about the members.

Finally, for everyone that is spouting hate, vitriol and just plain ugliness about this. Please stop. Be positive, offer solutions. Be there for the members and the orgnization.

My thoughts and love are with every current member, future member, former member, volunteer, staff person. I will be out there supporting you guys in 2007. And since I make it to San Antonio regularly for business, I will try and schedule my trips around your camps there, so I can come out and help when I am in town.

Cheers,

Bob

:wall: No..and you edited my quote to give this response...I'm not admitting anything except that I am beginning to see a clear picture of what is going on.

It will become clear in due time.

Sounds like you got your Magic 8-ball working overtime! :P

(j/k)

:wall: No..and you edited my quote to give this response...I'm not admitting anything except that I am beginning to see a clear picture of what is going on.

It will become clear in due time.

cue the music for the twilight zone ala cadets 05 and 06?

since you seem to have such a profetic vision of what is really going on how about you share with us landerlady?

ps - you do realize that Xmen are only with YEA! for this season and next season right?

I wonder if this will effect Academy.

my guess is no. san antonio is a 16 hour drive from phoenix. a handful of academy members have gone on to div1 corps, but mostly ones in the california area.... some even when given the opportunity to march elsewhere chose to return to academy. within 16 hours you have impulse, fever, mandarins, SCV, SCVC, BD, BDB, hawthorne gold, now crossmen, pacific crest, etc etc. i don't think the addition of a corps 16 hours away will hurt them. something like 95% of members are from arizona...if anything, i'd see more people from other states COMING to arizona, not arizona people leaving to audition elsewhere.

my guess is no. san antonio is a 16 hour drive from phoenix. a handful of academy members have gone on to div1 corps, but mostly ones in the california area.... some even when given the opportunity to march elsewhere chose to return to academy. within 16 hours you have impulse, fever, mandarins, SCV, SCVC, BD, BDB, hawthorne gold, now crossmen, pacific crest, etc etc. i don't think the addition of a corps 16 hours away will hurt them. something like 95% of members are from arizona...if anything, i'd see more people from other states COMING to arizona, not arizona people leaving to audition elsewhere.

Hey - you stoled my line! Not fair! :) :wall:

Of course, the question then becomes, where were the parents offering to run / pay for the corps in Pittsburg, Harrisburg, Dover, Wilmington, Baltimore and Richmond?

This seems like a clear choice of there being a Crossmen active *somewhere* or none at all.

Mike

I'm not even sure that this is the issue.

The perception is that YEA didn't give the same treatment to the Crossmen as they do for the Cadets. Whether or not this is accurate or not isn't 100% known, but I don't see Mr. Hopkins disputing this assertion.

I'm happy that Bones lives on, and that they'll shake free from the 10,000lb yoke that is YEA. But I'm still convinced there's alterior motives behind this move.