1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

Clueless party of one. What you do and the experiences and history and personal growth and enlightenment one brings to gather the data and construct an idea to ultimaltely form an opinion is indeed affected by ones experiences. You have NONE...he has many.....therefore while your opinion is as VALID as his, his will be much more respected and taken into consideration.

Sorry, YOU are wrong.

~G~

So, Michael. . .what year(s) did you march Madison?

I've asked this in like 5 threads of you and have gotten no answer. :grouphug:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how come there is no video of cadets 1992 To tame the perilous skies on

youtube or google video.? My inquiring mind would like to know.

i dont know, guess no one has gotten around to it, but even though im not much of a "gamer," id just like to mention that ff7 will forever be the greatest video game of all time.

Edited by Jared_mello

Clueless party of one. What you do and the experiences and history and personal growth and enlightenment one brings to gather the data and construct an idea to ultimaltely form an opinion is indeed affected by ones experiences. You have NONE...he has many.....therefore while your opinion is as VALID as his, his will be much more respected and taken into consideration.

Sorry, YOU are wrong.

~G~

No. How many professional sport commentators have never played a game in their life? How many professional movie reviewers have never been behind the camera? Drum corps is one of the few activities I can think of in which some people, such as yourself, give less consideration to any opinion by anyone who hasn't participated and is simply a fan. Have I ever commented about sleeping on gym floors, performing in competition, and singing the corps song? No, because I haven't experienced those things yet. The only thing I share opinions about is something I do every day, every year: watch and listen to drum corps shows. My not having marched has NOTHING to do with the opinions I form about corps' shows.

No. How many professional sport commentators have never played a game in their life? How many professional movie reviewers have never been behind the camera? Drum corps is one of the few activities I can think of in which some people, such as yourself, give less consideration to any opinion by anyone who hasn't participated and is simply a fan. Have I ever commented about sleeping on gym floors, performing in competition, and singing the corps song? No, because I haven't experienced those things yet. The only thing I share opinions about is something I do every day, every year: watch and listen to drum corps shows. My not having marched has NOTHING to do with the opinions I form about corps' shows.

Agreed.

Also, its amazing how many people on this very board lie all the time about their marching experience in order to gain favor.

Pretty ironic that you are being attacked on this one, and by whom, Hroth.

Agreed.

Also, its amazing how many people on this very board lie all the time about their marching experience in order to gain favor.

People used to do it often in the real world, as well. I know there was a thread here once about people that have lied about marching corps and their stories never checked out.

Edited by Tekneek

People used to do it often in the real world, as well. I know there was a thread here once about people that have lied about marching corps and their stories never checked out.

I'd think most corps would have alumni orgs this day and age with rosters from past years. It should be an easy thing to check out.

I'd think most corps would have alumni orgs this day and age with rosters from past years. It should be an easy thing to check out.

Yeah, but people don't usually carry that with them everywhere they go. So you end up deciding whether you believe them or not while talking to them. It's getting easier to find them out these days, though.

It was routine amongst highschool kids and some college students, but I've been amazed to find that there are some "grownup adults" that will still try to lie about when/where they marched as well as other things. I've even had car salesmen (selling new cars, not used car conmen) claim they've marched drum corps or even been an NHL draft pick in attempts to gain favor with me, based on what they thought might close the deal at that particular time.

i dont know, guess no one has gotten around to it, but even though im not much of a "gamer," id just like to mention that ff7 will forever be the greatest video game of all time.

This is true.

I am not much of a gamer myself...however, I played FF7 all the way to completion...which is saying something, since usually I don't have the patience for such things.

The only other game I've gotten into:

The Thief series.

No, you are wrong.

The fact that he marched and I haven't is completely irrelevant. My opinion, that the Cadets' 1991 show is one of DCI's greatest, has no less value and doesn't "lack authority" just because I haven't marched.

Sorry.

This is all I am going to say on this subject, and then I am done with this thread (which I can't believe has been resurrected from last year....what did it do, sit dormant like a virus?)

The fact that I marched and you didn't does NOT give me any more right to an opinion than it does you. We're both entitled to say whatever we want. That's the beauty of an opinion.

HOWEVER

The fact that I marched probably gives my opinion a tiny little bit of more weight than yours. That's just the way the world is. Is it right or wrong? I don't know.

It happens in sports as well...take a look sometime at the derision John Clayton gets from players and former players in the NFL, especially someone like Sean Salisbury...even though John Clayton knows more about football than that idiot and ten others combined. And why does he get that derision? Because he didn't play football...not at any level.

But you know...I don't think it's because of our experience or lack of it.

Frankly, in my opinion, it's because you state YOUR opinions in such absolute terms that it ticks some people off, especially when they see that you didn't march (for example: "Cadets 1991 is one of the best shows ever!") I mean...yeah...it's your opinion, you are entitled to it, but when I read that, I think "This kid is talking out of his butt, and doesn't know much." Sorry, I'm just being honest with you here. And frankly, I've seen you do that a bunch with your opinions, so you shouldn't be surprised when someone takes you to task for it. Most of the time I ignore it, but....since I've been dragged back into this rejuvenated thread, I decided to comment.

It doesn't really matter to me whether you marched or not...for example, I respect Alan Mundy's opinion (he commented on this thread earlier)...and he never marched. And he's not the only one...there are lots of guys on DCP with no marching experience, and I respect their opinions more than I respect yours, frankly. It has to do with the presentation, of course, and I think you have more to learn about how to present your opinions. Trust me...this is coming from someone who had to learn that lesson in the early days of RAMD, so...I recognize the problems when I see them.

Anyhow, that is my long and rambling post for the week...I will not post in this thread again, I've said my piece (or peace, if you're left-handed).