Classical music in DCA?

Any style of music if performed well can be highly entertaining. If you have a bias again classical (or any genre for that matter), maybe it's because you just don't understand it enough to appreciate it. Or maybe you just really closed minded...which is a shame cause you close yourself off to so many wonderful peices.

While there is some truth to this, I disagree with some of it as well. I do think that any style of music has the potential to be enjoyable, or at least impressive. However, there are many types of music that I understand but do not enjoy. One is classical period opera. I can listen to it and appreciate the skill, talent, and dedication that goes into creating it, as well as the form, style, and structure, but there is much of it that I don't enjoy. On the other hand, I tend to enjoy baroque opera and romantic opera more. I think your statement can be true of some people, but is by no means a blanket case. Understanding doesn't always mean enjoying or liking, although it can mean appreciating (two different things).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that being said, I love classical music in drum corps - DCI and DCA.

You can say what you want about 'dem snazzy show tunes and intricate bouncing jazz riffs..but there ain't nothin' like stomping yer feet and snappin' your fingers to a stirring rendition of "Claire de Lune"!!!!

Is Carmen considered Classical?

If it is I'm sure that the DCA fans will love it.

Mike

Im sure I will .... IF its done tastefully .... me being a big classical person myself Im a bit picky about how classical is performed ...

ie New World Symphony ...

Phantom Regiment - AMAZING kept pretty true to the original for the most part

Glassmen - Horrible ... they totally killed the piece Im sure Dvorak was spinning in his grave ... a more jazzed feel to the 4th movment ... oh #### no

um...agree or disagree with Ed, there's no reason to break DCP's guidelines and be insulting about it.

um...agree or disagree with Ed, there's no reason to break DCP's guidelines and be insulting about it.

Good point and well recieved. Therefore, I have edited my previous post (but could only bring myself to edit it so far). But do you not think he is being insulting? To say that a certain group of corps "makes him vomit" is just way over the top! It goes beyond just "agreeing or disagreeing". The guy is asked to refer to a corps by their real name by corps members, he refuses. He says certain corps make him "vomit". I'm sorry, he needs to be addressed on that as much as I may need to be addressed on my comments to him.

Edited by passionatedc

That has got to be the most horrible and disrespectful thing I have ever seen someone say on this message board! Please grow up!

You got to be kidding me?With all the trash that gets slung around here.???

Sounds like you are just steaming from the #$%% thing.

Anyways back on topic,,

OTher than PR I didnt see any of the other corps in DCI that did classical music well.Classical music has to be done extreamly well to be enjoyable.Done half baked,,its going to sound half baked.

Many of PR previous attempts at classical left me with that same pit in my stomach so don't think I am picking on just a couple of corps here.