The best drum corps of all time.

The oldest drum corps still in existence and competing, who is DCI runner up for gold medals, who has innovated the activity into what it was today and will be tomorrow (thanks Zingali). B)

IIRC, I think Racine Scouts are the oldest Jr. still competing (i.e., were founded the most years ago and are still around). Pls correct me if I am incorrect.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I think either SCV or BD should be considered the best of all time. Each have been at the top since DCI started. My favorite corps....Phantom!

"Best of "All Time"":

I would modestly cast a vote for the old St Vincents Cadets of Bayonne NJ. Not "Only" were they in the "Best" catagory, with multiple wins in the VFW & Legion Nationals, as well as "Rouund Robin" Champs of "Joisey" (Won all the Veterans titles at the State & National levels), and at least two "Back to Back" undefeated seaons, but were serious inovators in the world of marching and brass.

Their director & drill instructor was the late great Mickey Petrone, (Known to one and all in the DCA) who set the standard for "Marching and Manuvering" in the 1950s. Their horn arranger/instructor was the late great Jim Donnelly who set more than a few standards of his own in the area of BUGLE instruction and arranging.

The corps also implemented the original "National Dream Contest" which ran for decades at Jersey City's Roosevelt Staduim. The contest has been much commented upon lately on these boards.

They could easily be called the "Cavaliers" or "Blue Devils" of their era, and are fondly remembered.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"Best of "All Time"":

I would modestly cast a vote for the old St Vincents Cadets of Bayonne NJ. Not "Only" were they in the "Best" catagory, with multiple wins in the VFW & Legion Nationals, as well as "Rouund Robin" Champs of "Joisey" (Won all the Veterans titles at the State & National levels), and at least two "Back to Back" undefeated seaons, but were serious inovators in the world of marching and brass.

Their director & drill instructor was the late great Mickey Petrone, (Known to one and all in the DCA) who set the standard for "Marching and Manuvering" in the 1950s. Their horn arranger/instructor was the late great Jim Donnelly who set more than a few standards of his own in the area of BUGLE instruction and arranging.

The corps also implemented the original "National Dream Contest" which ran for decades at Jersey City's Roosevelt Staduim. The contest has been much commented upon lately on these boards.

They could easily be called the "Cavaliers" or "Blue Devils" of their era, and are fondly remembered.

Elphaba

I guess I really meant the best since 1972, ... or in DCI history.

I do see that the topic is "the best of all time", but I'm to new to this activity to say who I think that should be.

IIRC, I think Racine Scouts are the oldest Jr. still competing (i.e., were founded the most years ago and are still around). Pls correct me if I am incorrect.

You are correct. The Racine Scouts are the longest active Drum Corps in existence. They had some stages during this fine longevity where they were a top 12-15 level Corps in Div.1. ...... My choices would be Hawthorne Caballeros, in the Sr. ranks and Cavs, Madison, Boston, Troopers, Cadets, Spartans in the Junior ranks....... the" best Corps" is a tough one....... there are about a half dozen Corps I'd have to put on equal footing.

Edited by X DM

It would be a virtual dead heat for me between BD & SCV

Behind these 2, the next group, in a loose order:

Madison Scouts

Cavaliers

Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Harvey

I thought Jubal was the oldest corps in history, but I can't remember when they were founded

I thought it was the Garden of Eden Apple Eaters

Either way - it's coloUr. I swear it on my honour, neighbour......

Jim, Americans spell colour, odour, honour, neighbour, favourite, etc correctly. It's the rest of the english speaking world that chronically mispells. :P

It would be interesting to see everybody not only put who they think is the best

Santa Clara Vanguard

...but also to put who their favorite corps is.

Santa Clara Vanguard