That did not go so well.

"(secret: most of the top corps take the strongest people, who can live through texas in july and 90 straight days of rehearsal, not the best players, per se. show them you are a strong person.)"

Hehe, I live in Texas in July :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thread, notwithstanding the typical know it all critics.

Anyway, hang in there. If you don't make your favorite corps, march somewhere!

.........Everybody ready for a little drum corps myth-busting?

Corps don't factor in "attitude" for auditions.....

-Means

Yeah..... the Tooth Fairy came to my house last night too.

Attitude certainly does play in. If you have potential and are willing to learn, chances you will get called back. If you are stand-offish and dont get along with other staff/members, chances are slim.

One guy last year came to audition with our guard without ever touching a flag in his life. he was horrible, but the staff recognized that he was dedicated and willing to learn. and he got offered a spot.

you never know. keep going back and show them you are dedicated.

I had a bad audition at my corps, but I think they heard me during the ensemble part and probably realized that hey he was just nervous. Remember that the whole camp is an audtion, so eating by yourself can even hurt you. Your techs that are working with you during rehersal observe things and I'm guessing the whole staff meets up and they talk about each member. Even though your audition was bad, still be great during rehersal. Worse comes to worse, it's okay to march a lower corps. A lot of people disgrace against some of the lower corps because they're lower. I marched a semi finals corps for a year to gain corps experience, which probably helped me with my audition. You still learn a lot anywhere you go. So just keep in mind more than SCVC, although a great corps and a way to learn the history you can also benefit more with another Div. I corps.

Yeah..... the Tooth Fairy came to my house last night too.

hysterical.gif

"(secret: most of the top corps take the strongest people, who can live through texas in july and 90 straight days of rehearsal, not the best players, per se. show them you are a strong person.)"

Hehe, I live in Texas in July :P

But have you marched in Texas in June and July?

Thats how it was with me, it was my first non private playing of brass...Lip slurs = sucky. I miss my octave key :'(

To above poster that was at audition, you wouldn't happen to be Corin would you? Just wondering, she was the only person to actually talk to me there :)

I'm hoping that attitude and determination will help me out here. I want nothing more than to march with them this summer, and I will do anything/learn anything/take however many lessons/practice however many hours to do it. I am quite teachable and eat up any advice I can get.

Two things are making me optimistic.

1. On the SCVC audition site, it says they are open to people wanting to start brass and guard (not perc though, that is previous experience only)

2. On the rubric thing you got when you checked in and gave to the judge, there were only three options under "Final Assessment."

The options were: 1) Ready for Vanguard, come to Dec Aud camp, 2) With improvement, ready for Vanguard, come to Dec Aud camp, 3) Ready for Cadet Corps.

There was no "You suck Brad go away" so, yay.

I'm hoping that those are the ONLY options for auditionees :)

Oh yes, I am also checking my email every other minute. :)

Way back in the dark ages (this would have been Dec 1988), I auditioned for SCV. I played bassoon, but picked up baritone and was practicing like mad. Like you, the SCV camp was the first time I had ever played a brass instrument with an ensemble or in front of anyone outside my family. I was a tiny little kid that could barely hold up the horn (turned 16 on the last day of the camp), and really had no business being there.

I didn't make the line (SCV 89... who was I kidding?), and actually ended up eventually marching in another corps a couple of years later. The only thing I do regret is that I didn't take the opportunity to march somewhere else, anywhere else, during those couple of years.

Anyway, if it doesn't work out at SCV, go someplace else... doesn't matter where, just get involved and get experience, and have fun.