Dot books or Charts?

imagine you are a visual staff going to critique.. and the visual judge says.. well, it was all great... but there was one member who was about 3 yards out of the form for half the show. what do you say? "yeah.. but he was in his spot!"

I know you were exaggerating, but after a season of rehearsing why would something even remotely close to this happen?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dots teach only one facet of visual presentation....hard to argue that point. Form maintenance, however, is the other facet that is optional and subjective.

It is the responsibility of the instructors to educate either approach properly for maximum retention, regardless of situation.....

It is my opinion that while learning dril, dots are PRIORITY is #1, thus dot books may be necessary, based on the marching levels of your organization...I know I used em.....thus my students are required in my rehearsals to have them.

Once the drill is taught, and or staged, the PRIORITY #1 shifts to form integrity, with dot reference (CHECK AND ADJUST!!!!!!)

Too each is own.........

MM

I know you were exaggerating, but after a season of rehearsing why would something even remotely close to this happen?

yes i was exaggerating, but i was just trying to show that anything can happen on the field. the member needs to know how to adapt to any situation.

ever hear about the lights out show BD had in 99? adapt and overcome :)

That reminds me of the Cadets Olympic show with no lines! Also a show that a former student told me about that was staged on a horse track, I believe, that was like half the size of a football field. Every interval had to be halved. Someone from early 90's Crown help me out here, does that sound familiar?

That reminds me of the Cadets Olympic show with no lines! Also a show that a former student told me about that was staged on a horse track, I believe, that was like half the size of a football field. Every interval had to be halved. Someone from early 90's Crown help me out here, does that sound familiar?

For the horse track show, are you talking about the Illinois State Fair show? They did that on some kind of track (dog or horse, can't remember) and it's brutal for the bigger corps. I believe it is (was; I don't think it's still around) a II/III show. I taught a Div. III group in 96 who did that show and I can't imgaine the hell it would be for a Div. II or bigger corps.

For the horse track show, are you talking about the Illinois State Fair show? They did that on some kind of track (dog or horse, can't remember) and it's brutal for the bigger corps. I believe it is (was; I don't think it's still around) a II/III show. I taught a Div. III group in 96 who did that show and I can't imgaine the hell it would be for a Div. II or bigger corps.

That sounds sorta right. It seems like she was talking about Crown's first or second year, so Div. II-III would be right. I remember her saying (she was a guard member) that it really played havoc with their guard routine because of spacing issues. Imagine having flag work designed with a five step interval in mind, being shrunk down to a two and a half step interval :sshh:

Dots teach only one facet of visual presentation....hard to argue that point. Form maintenance, however, is the other facet that is optional and subjective.

It is the responsibility of the instructors to educate either approach properly for maximum retention, regardless of situation.....

It is my opinion that while learning dril, dots are PRIORITY is #1, thus dot books may be necessary, based on the marching levels of your organization...I know I used em.....thus my students are required in my rehearsals to have them.

Once the drill is taught, and or staged, the PRIORITY #1 shifts to form integrity, with dot reference (CHECK AND ADJUST!!!!!!)

That's why I use the dot system. The form takes care of itself. Even with beginning level groups (of which, I have taught many) students understand moving from point A to point B taking an equal size step.

And you're right, it doesn't really matter which system you use, as long as you are consistent with it and teach your kids how to use the system.

Back in the dark ages they did not use yardlines at all....goal lines, sidelines, and a mid-field stripe...see these of the Cadets from the 1971 World Open....

Opening set:

Openingset.jpg

Battle Hymn/Peace sign:

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

Closer:

Profilescloser.jpg

From back when we had to start on one side and exit out the other.... :P

Mike

Holy crap. How did you guys get away with that peace sign in 1971? Wouldn't that have been more controversial than like...singing and narration is today?

Check one of my posts in the Cadets thread....I mentioned just that! :P

1971 was our second year doing it....to Battle Hymn...our entire show was about the Revolutionary War...very patriotic...so it wasn't as controversial as the FIRST time we played it...in 1970 to "White Rabbit". That's the year the VFW folks wanted to kick us out of Nationals in Miami.

On the 1970 recording of finals, Tony '*hic*' Schlechta, the head VFW honcho, did not even acknowledge our performance at the end of our show. :P

However, one of my all-time moments in drum corps is as we turned to the stands in the Peace Sign the flashes going off by the thousands was amazing to me. The VFW rank and file apparently did not mind the form! :)

1971 was controversial in and of itself for 1) being a total-themed show and 2) us passing out a printed libretto throughout the stands...10 years prior to PR with their Spartacus show.

1972 had it's own political moments, as we titled our show "No More War". We passed out a placement sized poster in the stands...with two photos...

One the left were two Cadets, a boy and girl who were obviously lovers, saying good-bye as the guy went off to war.

One the right hand photo the girl looked sadly down at a casket that had a Cadet shako and gloves sitting on top.

That year we set up the Peace Sign to "A Mighty Fortress is our God" and moved it forward to a theme from Mahler's 5th.

So yes, controversy is nothing new to the Cadets.