ech2os

let him post more. easier to hit the report button then

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and Gentlemen:

(As Peter Bishop, Caballeros Alumni Corps Director always addresses us members by, when he sends out e-mails)

I live in the Chicago area and last year I performed with the Cabs Alumni Corps for the first time ever. I can play that 2006 show forever, as far as I'm concerned. My favorite part of the show is still the opening, and I will never, ever get tired of playing that! It was an absolute THRILL to be on that field with this Corps, especially in Rochester. I've waited 29 years to be able to do that, from when I first saw them back in 1977. The Rochester audience really liked what we played, from start to finish. Obviously, there are those who would like to see something different from what the Corps has been doing in the past. You will still hear "blasts from the past" from this Corps, however STAY TUNED!!! 2007 will definitely be different, and for sure, the best year ever, for the Caballeros Alumni. Plus the horn line has almost doubled from 2006 and the drum line is SMOKIN!!!!!!!!!! Check us out in Harrisburg, for a sneak peek, in April. You will not be disappointed!!

Vanguard Rich

Cabs Contrablaster

I have to agree with Rich. I first saw Hawthorne live in 1954, at the A.L. Nationals in Washington. I swore at that time - in my own twelve-year old way - that someday I'd march with that corps.

Life intervened, however, and it wasn't until 2005 that the opportunity presented itself. So, in 2005, 2006, and hopefully in 2007 - my lifelong goal will have been realized.

As for marching to the old Hawthorne classics - I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure there's room for "new stuff," but I'm convinced that our audience wants to see and hear the corps they remember so fondly.

I'm sure this applies to other alumni corps as well, but I'm constantly amazed by the number of individuals who come up to us after shows to thank us for bringing to them the music they remember. Up in Canada in 2005, for example, an olde pharte (about my age) latched on to my wife in the stands and actually had tears in his eyes when we finished our show. When we gave him my "Blast from the Past" t-shirt, you would have thought he'd died and gone to heaven.

And I'm certainly looking forward to this coming season - just as Rich is. And he's right; come to Harrisburg to see the corps. I'll be looking forward to seeing your eyes light up when you hear the rumps.

Andy

Life intervened, however, and it wasn't until 2005 that the opportunity presented itself. So, in 2005, 2006, and hopefully in 2007 - my lifelong goal will have been realized.

Andy

YAY!!! b**bs

ok Spartacus ~ you just made my day!!! :D

It appears as if no one ever identified the music for Eric. So, for the record: The OTL we played in 2006 is a slightly new arrangement of "Espiritu del Toro," by Larry Kerchner, originally played by the Hawthorne Muchachos and later by the Caballeros competing corps. The first drum solo is essentially George Tuthill's from 1973 with a few additions, and the second song is a brand-new Kerchner arrangement of a Cabs' classic, "Cachita."

Fun music to play, unquestionably, and apparently enjoyed by audiences everywhere we appeared last season. As Rich pointed out, wait until you hear this year's show! Some new things, some 'returning classics,' all exciting, traditional Hawthorne music.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

(As Peter Bishop, Caballeros Alumni Corps Director always addresses us members by, when he sends out e-mails)

I live in the Chicago area and last year I performed with the Cabs Alumni Corps for the first time ever. I can play that 2006 show forever, as far as I'm concerned. My favorite part of the show is still the opening, and I will never, ever get tired of playing that! It was an absolute THRILL to be on that field with this Corps, especially in Rochester. I've waited 29 years to be able to do that, from when I first saw them back in 1977. The Rochester audience really liked what we played, from start to finish. Obviously, there are those who would like to see something different from what the Corps has been doing in the past. You will still hear "blasts from the past" from this Corps, however STAY TUNED!!! 2007 will definitely be different, and for sure, the best year ever, for the Caballeros Alumni. Plus the horn line has almost doubled from 2006 and the drum line is SMOKIN!!!!!!!!!! Check us out in Harrisburg, for a sneak peek, in April. You will not be disappointed!!

Vanguard Rich

Cabs Contrablaster

That is awesome. Good for you. Some day I'll do it too. :)

It appears as if no one ever identified the music for Eric. So, for the record: The OTL we played in 2006 is a slightly new arrangement of "Espiritu del Toro," by Larry Kerchner, originally played by the Hawthorne Muchachos and later by the Caballeros competing corps. The first drum solo is essentially George Tuthill's from 1973 with a few additions, and the second song is a brand-new Kerchner arrangement of a Cabs' classic, "Cachita."

Fun music to play, unquestionably, and apparently enjoyed by audiences everywhere we appeared last season. As Rich pointed out, wait until you hear this year's show! Some new things, some 'returning classics,' all exciting, traditional Hawthorne music.

John.......I could be wrong......but didn't we talk for a while in Benigans this year ? If we didn't, maybe next year....if we did.....how's it going! Thanks for the clarification. The title of my post and the way I presented my comments seemed to have the opposite effect of my intentions. I can't wait to see you guys in Harrisburg.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Sorry Eric, it wasn't me. Haven't been in a Bennigan's in years. Maybe you met one of our other members named John.

I agree, I think the intention of your post was misunderstood. I wasn't sure what you were driving at at first, but I got it eventually. Old music can be very good, and of course Alumnis specialize in it. My own feeling is that competing corps could use lots more old stuff re-worked, re-arranged, and the people would love it.

We like to play only "recycled" music from Hawthorne's past, but are willing to try slightly new arrangements, as long as the basic number is still recognizable to fans. As much as possible, we even try to re-create original drum parts whenver we can, either from available copies of old music, or from members' memories! Not always easy, but we try.

Be sure to look us up in Harrisburg, and come by to say hello.

John / Smitty

Hi guys. I'd like to make a comment about the issue of old "recycled" music versus the so-called new or cutting edge music in drum corps. I am now in my fifth season as a lead sop/trumpet with the Cabs competing corps, and I marched with the Muchachos in the late 60's, so I have been around long enough (off and on) to have seen the full evolution of drum corps instrumentation, marching styles and repertoires. Despite being in a competing corps, every chance I get, I sit in with the Cabs Alumni corps and play stage shows with them. I do this because each corps offers something rewarding and thrilling.

The Cabs Alumni repertoires excite audiences like no other shows I have seen. Playing the Cabs classics gives me a chance to feed off that audience energy and try to play better and get the audience even more excited. I feel an emotional high when I perform with the alumni corps.

It is also exciting to play with the Cabs competing corps beacause it honors Caballero history and continues the Cabs tradition with high energy repertoires that include original arrangements and new versions of classics designed to entertain audiences while being innovative. Competition, by its very nature, causes change as corps try to get an edge and be identified by judges as being innovative. But, that doesn't mean that show design should abandon a successful tradition or forget about the audience.

Obviously, Hawthorne corps are a part of my soul, and my opinions are biased. But, anyone who was at the Rochester 2006 DCAs , and witnessed the audience reaction to the Cabs alumni and the Cabs competing corps shows (not to mention the awards for audience favorites), knows that thousands of people agree with me - Cabs shows are exciting whether they are blasts from the past or new.

Mike (Doc) Risley

Cabs Sop/trumpet '03-07

Despite being in a competing corps, every chance I get, I sit in with the Cabs Alumni corps and play stage shows with them. I do this because each corps offers something rewarding and thrilling.

The Cabs Alumni repertoires excite audiences like no other shows I have seen. Playing the Cabs classics gives me a chance to feed off that audience energy and try to play better and get the audience even more excited. I feel an emotional high when I perform with the alumni corps.

Obviously, Hawthorne corps are a part of my soul, and my opinions are biased. But, anyone who was at the Rochester 2006 DCAs , and witnessed the audience reaction to the Cabs alumni and the Cabs competing corps shows (not to mention the awards for audience favorites), knows that thousands of people agree with me - Cabs shows are exciting whether they are blasts from the past or new.

Mike (Doc) Risley

Cabs Sop/trumpet '03-07

Mike,

Extremely well stated. Thank you. I agree with you 100% (except maybe for that Egyptian show, and other eminently forgettable Poulan stuff :)

Jim

Despite being in a competing corps, every chance I get, I sit in with the Cabs Alumni corps and play stage shows with them. I do this because each corps offers something rewarding and thrilling.

Mike (Doc) Risley

Cabs Sop/trumpet '03-07

Mike,

Extremely well stated. Thank you. I agree with you 100% (except maybe for that Egyptian show, and other eminently forgettable Poulan stuff :)

Jim

Its without saying I am a bit biased to what I have played through the years. I have marched in the competitive corps since 1986 though now! So that being said I have played Larry Kirshners stuff, John Arientano's, Matt Krempowski's, Jime Prime, Michael Klesch's, Wayne Downey's, Scott Boerma's, Chris Bernatos, Jeff Kivet's, and Key Pouland and now Dennis Argul. While Dennis is still in the beginning stages with us, you will have to make your own judgment once this years show is played in public but IMO He is making his mark as a Caballeros arranger and I for one am enjoying his music immencely. But I personally believe that Keys charts are what brought us back to the forefront! I'm not going to argue taste because everyone has their own. But as a playing member I enjoyed keys music. Probably the most challanging music to date as it pertains to mello charts. While everyone has commented on Keys music being either esoteric or unrecognizable, but no one seems to be taking into account the hornlines we have produced with him at the helm. 2003 although original has to be the one show that just screamed CABS!!! As we have always been innovators. How innovative would we be if we played the (not to be cliche) the same o'l ####? 2004 Pamplona too is another favorite for me because it was Cabs only baby. Not an old mothballed Jr corps chart. I agree with you about the Egyptian show! Didn't like it. But thats another story. Last year brought in what has to be the quintessential Caballeros Anniversary performance. Keys writting was beyond exceptional! As was Gary Gills! BAsed on crowd appeal 2006 had to be one of the best shows we have fielded.

I for one would like to welcome Dennis to the ranks of phenomenal arranges to grass us with his talent! I can only hope we do him justice! I believe Carmen will be one of those shows everyone will be whistling when leaving the stadium and will be everthing everyone expects to hear from a Caballero corps! AND THEN SOME!