Who's left in G?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCR is all G except the contras/tubas are in Bb. It was going to take an extra six months to make G contras so the corps bought the Bb's.

I think we will continue to see G horns until the majority of all-age/alumni corps are from the "modern" junior corps. Once that happens they will not see a need to use G horns since their experience will only be with Bb horns.

Edited by Jeffreelancer

When it comes to things like this I think economics plays a key role. When all of the Jr Corps started going to bflat the g horns were easier to get second hand. Im sure once the g horns start falling apart and only b flat is left in the world of drum corps your more economically savy Sr Corps will make the switch as well.

As for the nostalgic idea of playing g horns. It will be a little weird calling a sport Drum and Bugle if there are no real bulges. Although it will just be another chapter to our long rich heritage as an american sport/music.

Is it safe to assume that sooner or later everyone will be using "any key" instruments? Is it inevitable? Will Kanstul and others stop making G horns? I guess what I'm saying is, " is the G Bugle dead?" It sure seems that way. With the exception of those few corps mentioned, the passion to save G bugles is gone. The corps that I thought would not acquiesce were some of the first to switch, e.g., Cabs, Bucs, etc. It is somewhat reminecient of the old horse soldier not wanting to relinquish his faithful steed for the newfangled mechanical horse. "You can't stand in the way of progress!" is the mantra of those who subscribe to such philsophies. Although some still maintain a pious-like devotion of affection to G horns and to a soon-to-be forgotten era. I guess that's why I teach history and do Civil War reenacting. Does anyone else feel this way, or is this just the rantings of a gray-haired 50 year old?

Kanstul has the tooling for G-horns ,correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't cost to keep it. .

They get an order they fill it.

As for the nostalgic idea of playing g horns. It will be a little weird calling a sport Drum and Bugle if there are no real bulges. Although it will just be another chapter to our long rich heritage as an american sport/music.

There are lots of bulges in DCA corps! :P

I'm not a corps guy. However, the Renegades sounded 'bigger' than the b-flat Blue Devils last year. B-flats sound too 'polite' for jazz charts.

I just hope your activity can keep BOTH in your ranks. The diversity of hornline sounds make DCA a great activity. Hope to make Rochester this next year.

This sort of falls under the same lines. I marched LVK back in 04 on b-flat as my first drum corps experience. It was great, and at that point, i never really understood the difference between b-flat and G. The following year I moved on to the Empire Statesmen, who are in G. That's when I realized the difference. And ever since then, I've been adamant about never going back to b-flat. But the more I contemplate this, the more more i'm realizing the switch isn't that big of a deal. I know b-flat is easier to play in tune. And it takes a few more horns to get that in your face sound that you can with G. And yes, it is easier to go from band in schools to drum corps if they're in b-flat. So those are and couple of bonuses and one con. But that con to me is huge. The others i don't mind making the switch. I guess what I'm looking for, is someone to convince/persuade me about overcoming the con of not getting that in your face sound with small numbers. Help?

(I hope that all made sense.)

Thanks for the info. Good luck to the Hurcs this year, but I'll sure miss the G horns.

Thats funny that you are quick to call a Bb horn a bugle but call a G bugle a Horn. :doh:

Bb bugles :doh::doh::doh: