Rules Proposals

2007.3 - "Prop folks" not included in the count  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

If you want to have excessive props, there is an opportunity cost for doing so. You are allowed a certain number of performers on the field to execute whatever you want them to do, whether that is carry picnic tables and screens around, or play bugles and drums. I like that each corps has to decide how best to deploy these assets and that it isn't always a battle of money and who can drive the most people and props around the country, which is what this rule and the membership increase proposal would do.

So basically the junior corps really DON'T need any money from fans if they all this access cash laying around for building of props.

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're on the field for any reason, including handling of props, you ARE part of the performance.

Ask anyone involved in theatre, the sound, lighting and stage hands are very important to the performance and can have a great effect on how the performance goes.

But, these people are always behind the scenes, not on the stage. Therefore I agree with your first statement. If you're seen, you're part of the show.

So, how are prop people judged? With the mixing board guy?

Garry in Vegas

But, these people are always behind the scenes, not on the stage. Therefore I agree with your first statement. If you're seen, you're part of the show.

So, how are prop people judged? With the mixing board guy?

Garry in Vegas

Depending on the type of theatre, many times prop poeple do appear on stage. Granted they wear black and it's almost always between scenes, but they are sometimes visable.

But even when not, the actors wouldn't be able to tell the story if props, especially important ones, were missing or in the wrong place. They do a lot to make the show happen in real time. (As oppesed to directors who make things happen ahead of time in rehearsals.)

So basically the junior corps really DON'T need any money if they all this access cash lieing around for props.

At least not the corps that's proposing this... then again, members can be considered a source of income. I'm sure a kid's $2000 corps fee more than pays for the prop he's pushing around the field - especially if they're not getting specialized instruction during the summer.

At least not the corps that's proposing this... then again, members can be considered a source of income. I'm sure a kid's $2000 corps fee more than pays for the prop he's pushing around the field - especially if they're not getting specialized instruction during the summer.

But those poeple still have to be transported and fed. The props have to be transported.

Not to mention that the corps proposing it has had it's share of financial difficulties over the years. Hence the name changes and moves.

This proposal says nothing about the requirements for the prop personnel. Are they staff or volunteers? Would they be under 21? Would they get a member jacket?

If considered a member in terms of paying tuition and receiving all the previlages, then shouldn't they be counted?

But those poeple still have to be transported and fed. The props have to be transported.

Not to mention that the corps proposing it has had it's share of financial difficulties over the years. Hence the name changes and moves.

This proposal says nothing about the requirements for the prop personnel. Are they staff or volunteers? Would they be under 21? Would they get a member jacket?

If considered a member in terms of paying tuition and receiving all the previlages, then shouldn't they be counted?

And as the good politico George is, he created a proposal with no specifics. As much as he thinks that show sponcers won't be paying for this, think again. The corps will then go to DCI to propose that fee increase to cover this new cost. These higher fees will then be pushed onto the any shows so they will either have to 1) increase ticket fees or 2) have less corps at their shows.

Sorry, but without any specifics the proposal is fraut with abuse from the corps directors.

I'm beginning to think that's how he's getting some passe with his vague wording of things. If I was on the board, I'd be asking questions this go around.

Personally, I think it's a waste of paper.

I can hear the conversation now...

"What did you do with the Cadets this summer?" "I was a prop person, but I wasn't included with the corps, I paid my dues, but I was just there pushing props around".

It's just so ridiculous. :worthy:

If you're on the field for any reason, including handling of props, you ARE part of the performance.

Ask anyone involved in theatre, the sound, lighting and stage hands are very important to the performance and can have a great effect on how the performance goes.

"Count Time":

Count them. Ditto on the "Stage Hands" and "Techies" comment. They influence the performance.

Elphaba