Rules Proposals

2007.3 - "Prop folks" not included in the count  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

IMO, if you need people to specifically carry stuff around, you have too much stuff!

Plus, what do prop people have to pay for a season of drum corps? Should they pay the same as a "performing" member? Are they going to be getting instruction in staging and design? Will adding prop people take away seats on the bus for the additional 15 people Hop wants to add? Should there be a limit on prop people?

Too many variables that were not considered in the proposal.

I vote no.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to this proposal being a bad idea, it's very vague and not specific enough. As a result, there are way too many loopholes in this proposal.

1. It doesn't give a limit to the number of "prop people" a corps can have.

2. It doesn't define exactly what a "prop person" is allowed to do and what they're not allowed to do. And it doesn't say what the consequences are (penalties, DQ, etc.) when they do something not allowed.

That's the idea, methinks.

I have a hard time believing this will pass - at least in its current form. There are way too many logistical and practical problems to have this go off without a hitch.

we said that about amps too...even with all the expertise we were told they have.

yet we still have issues, even with sound techs now.

we said that about amps too...even with all the expertise we were told they have.

yet we still have issues, even with sound techs now.

Let me rephrase:

I have a hard time believing this will pass this year because there are way too many logistical and practical problems.

Based on past practice of certain other proposals, I do not doubt that a slightly modified proposal could be reintroduced in a future year - and pass. And - that would be without necessarily working out all the logistical and practical issues.

(and I'd still vote no - if I had a vote.)

If you want to have excessive props, there is an opportunity cost for doing so. You are allowed a certain number of performers on the field to execute whatever you want them to do, whether that is carry picnic tables and screens around, or play bugles and drums. I like that each corps has to decide how best to deploy these assets and that it isn't always a battle of money and who can drive the most people and props around the country, which is what this rule and the membership increase proposal would do.

If you're on the field for any reason, including handling of props, you ARE part of the performance.

Ask anyone involved in theatre, the sound, lighting and stage hands are very important to the performance and can have a great effect on how the performance goes.

I totally agree here

Let me rephrase:

I have a hard time believing this will pass this year because there are way too many logistical and practical problems.

Based on past practice of certain other proposals, I do not doubt that a slightly modified proposal could be reintroduced in a future year - and pass. And - that would be without necessarily working out all the logistical and practical issues.

(and I'd still vote no - if I had a vote.)

it seems we all would on 95% of these proposals.

not that they care

it seems we all would on 95% of these proposals.

not that they care

Why should they care about the opinions of the constant whiners who decry just about every change proposed? Esp as some of them don't even attend DCI shows.

IMO, if you need people to specifically carry stuff around, you have too much stuff!

Plus, what do prop people have to pay for a season of drum corps? Should they pay the same as a "performing" member? Are they going to be getting instruction in staging and design? Will adding prop people take away seats on the bus for the additional 15 people Hop wants to add? Should there be a limit on prop people?

Too many variables that were not considered in the proposal.

It should be up to each corps to determine the makeup and number of the prop crew, if this passes.

Why should they care about the opinions of the constant whiners who decry just about every change proposed? Esp as some of them don't even attend DCI shows.

Mike there's a lot more people against this year's batch of proposals than just "the usual whiners"

man i'd love whatever kool aid you drink :P