Rules Proposals

2007.3 - "Prop folks" not included in the count  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

When large props are moved during a show, it's often done by guard members...an example of how this can go wrong is Magic of Orlando 2002. Something as small as a dropped toss can cause that guard member to be late moving a prop, and next thing ya know, somebody is tripping backwards over a concert bass drum. I say free up the performers to perform, and have somebody there that can pay full attention to the props.

I say if you can't handle the props, leave 'em out of the show.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people get carried away with props and it actually takes away from the show and mainly...the performers.

I agree, if you are on the field, you should be in the count.

Agreed. It's the performance I'm interested in, not the scenery, backdrops, doors, tables, or whatever other furniture of the day is on tap. I'm afraid that this proposal opens the door for even more visually distracting shows than the Cadets did last year. This sort of stuff takes attention away from the performers, who should be the focus. The answer isn't more people to move the props, it's less props!!!

At what point is a prop, say a "character" prop, part of the act? What happens if you have a bench move in a "funny" way during a show... that's a performance, and as lame as it may sound, that's why drum corps has member limits.

I voted no on this proposal, and that's before I even THOUGHT of this angle of it. You're right, the line between performer and staff (support, instructional, or administrative) becomes MUCH more blurred when said staff are on the field. Blurred lines are not a good thing for competitions with rules. I prefer solid lines, like the white one between the field and the sideline.

Edited by madscout96

I know this isn't part of the proposal, but I'm just putting it forth as food for thought -- what if there was a limit to the number of "prop folks" (say, four or six) and they had to meet DCI's age restrictions just like any other corps member? I'd be fine with that, but not with an indefinite number of staffers having the capacity to have a direct impact during the performance. As far as this proposal goes, you could have one corps with no props at all against another corps with a dozen or more people, probably staffers over the age of 22, moving junk around on the field. Like others have said, if you're on the field, you should have to be part of the corps.

My opinion... if they're on the field, they should be under 21. If they're under 21, they should be performing as a member of the musical ensemble or guard. If they're NOT performing in either of those groups, then they're not REHEARSING in either of those groups - hence they're touring all summer and the only instruction they're getting is how to move their prop.

How is someone supposed to grow from that type of experience- pushing props all summer - especially when they're not "counted" as members? Why allow corps to waste someone's summer because they didn't pass the audition, when they could be gaining experience and instruction at another (perhaps Div 2/3) corps who would love to have them there as a "true" member. I would say this counts for woodwind and string players too... learn to play bass drum, toss a flag, or play a horn... some corps out there would love to have you if you REALLY want to march.

Just my 2 cents...

I think I'm the lone "aye" here - it frees the members up to actually, you know, perform. And I don't think the Cadets having a prop staff to move those benches around would have made much difference in the GE.

if your show needs that many props to pull it off, then someone needs to write a better show

Edited by skewerz

after years of seeing "runners" do this in bands, it can be a visual distraction to no end.

Better yet, brass players should be exempt from the count. Use as many horns as you want! b**bs

Seriously, you get 135 people. Use them however you want. More prop handlers means less of some other section, just like brass vs. percussion vs. guard. Fair is fair.

after years of seeing "runners" do this in bands, it can be a visual distraction to no end.

In the late 70's and early 80's as gaurds started to use multiple sets of flags and other equipment changes, they often would use 2 or so gaurd members to pass out the new and collect the previous set. It was very distracting. Finally designers figured out how to have everything preset, mostly on sidelines, and handle the changes much better.

I'm not for extra people on the field.

Just for clarification.

Staff and volunteers can currently help with presetting props and equipment before the show starts and getting off it at the end, for example: pit percussion, Cadet's backdrops last year, Phantom's front sideline wall in 05.

So this rule is asking for additional personnel to MANIPULATE props DURING the show. That automatically makes them a performer as in the two guard girls wheeling around the sun dial in Cap Reg's 05 show. YES?

Edited by shawn craig