Rules Proposals

2007.3 - "Prop folks" not included in the count  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

Like others, I hate to see band "runners" on the field every fall...my daughter's HS band included. I'm afraid of what kind of distraction this would allow. Even the very few green shirts on the field at times blur the picture of what I'm trying to view.

But my biggest beef with this...I think it would allow for more props. BAD BAD idea.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imaginary conversation with a junior corps member...

"I didn't march with Cadets, per say. I was a prop kid."

"So you marched props? Is that like 'marching pit'?"

"No, I moved the props on the field."

BTW, would a prop handler have to audition for this position like any other marching member? :laugh:

When large props are moved during a show, it's often done by guard members...an example of how this can go wrong is Magic of Orlando 2002. Something as small as a dropped toss can cause that guard member to be late moving a prop, and next thing ya know, somebody is tripping backwards over a concert bass drum. I say free up the performers to perform, and have somebody there that can pay full attention to the props.

But the tenor player didn't trip over a concert bass drum or props. They tripped over the guard person that was attempting to retrieve a dropped sabre. Props had nothing to do with it.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

I have a hard time believing this will pass - at least in its current form. There are way too many logistical and practical problems to have this go off without a hitch.

If you are using volunteers, what happens during rehearsal out on the road, do those people have to be there for every drill cleaning or re-write session while on tour so they know what to do during the performance?

What happens if a prop person trips during a performance? Moves the prop in the wrong place? Interferes with the performance of a "real member"? Does that prop persons actions effect the score in any way?

What do these people do when they are not moving props? Think of Boston's show this year. Those props were mostly in fixed positions but then were moved into new fixed positions at a couple key points in the show. What do the prop people do during the not-moving part of the show? Stay on the field? Stand behind the prop if it is big enough? Run off? Then, when it is time to move the prop, run back on? (What a visual mess that would be.)

I gotta vote for "none of the above".

In addition to this proposal being a bad idea, it's very vague and not specific enough. As a result, there are way too many loopholes in this proposal.

1. It doesn't give a limit to the number of "prop people" a corps can have.

2. It doesn't define exactly what a "prop person" is allowed to do and what they're not allowed to do. And it doesn't say what the consequences are (penalties, DQ, etc.) when they do something not allowed.

And there should also be a cap on staff sizes and unionized and nonunionized wages paid for consultants on staff and performers known as ringers for championship performances.

Mom

no

anyone (including that who controls the sound board) should be counted as a member as their actions during the show affects the outcome of the performance.

And there should also be a cap on staff sizes and unionized and nonunionized wages paid for consultants on staff and performers known as ringers for championship performances.

Mom

I know you ment that as tongue in cheek, but why hasn't the teamsters, UAW or music unions become involved with the directions corps are going? Maybe someone should contact the labor boards and pass this information around. Afterall, since corps want to be considered professionals organizations with all the bell and whistles why not have them pay now instead of being the non-profits they want to be.