Rules Proposals

2007.4 - Allow electronic instruments  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

I will say this: I'd take electronics over amplified vocals ANY day.

What he said. Still, a big NO from here. I'm not really interested in hearing stories or experiencing ocean waves crashing on the shore...I just want to see great drill and hear great music. The argument of attracting more kids or more fans simply doesn't hold water...most top-level corps turn away hundreds of kids annually already (although they could turn away 15 less each if ... oops, off topic). All the shows I went to last year were basically already sold out...I'm not seeing that anyone is sensing a lack of "coolness" or anything else that's keeping them away from the activity.

Electronics are simply not needed and would further distract from the performance, IMO. However, if I could get a repeal on amped vocals, I'd still put up with electronics.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument of attracting more kids or more fans simply doesn't hold water...most top-level corps turn away hundreds of kids annually already (although they could turn away 15 less each if ... oops, off topic). All the shows I went to last year were basically already sold out...I'm not seeing that anyone is sensing a lack of "coolness" or anything else that's keeping them away from the activity.

:doh:

I've said the same thing myself. You can only attract so many fans to a show and with the decrease in local shows, you've already isolated some new (and old) fans from the activity. Also, if they're concerned about getting more people to march, how about doing a better job of sending your cuts to the smaller corps?

And here's a question: Does this benefit the junior corps activity as a whole or does it simply give the top corps more of a competitive edge?

Edited by EKBari

:doh:

I've said the same thing myself. You can only attract so many fans to a show and with the decrease in local shows, you've already isolated some new (and old) fans from the activity. Also, if they're concerned about getting more people to march, how about doing a better job of sending your cuts to the smaller corps?

And here's a question: Does this benefit the junior corps activity as a whole or does it simply give the top corps more of a competitive edge?

Electronics allows drum corps to be more creative. I can't wait to hear the new possibilities.

Cuts do go to the smaller corps. Kids march where they want to march, or they do not march at all. Sending cut lists doesn't help.

If Hoppy's mentality spreads throught the board of directors, I fear for this activity.

It already has to some and you see the results.

You either like it or don't but drum corps is what it now is and will morph into whatever the "elite" think it should.

In a decade I see 6 corps in division I and maybe a dozen in II & III combined.

DCA will become much larger.

If you don't physically make the sound, forget it. Leave it to Broadway.

In a decade I see 6 corps in division I and maybe a dozen in II & III combined.

The corps that can afford to buy the most toys wins....

Or

Who needs talent when you can tweak the sound coming from electronic instruments.

Sheesh, miss the days when corps had out of balance make ups (ie - too many sops, not enough snares, etc) and had to make up the difference with creative arrangements or plain old gonads to the wall playing.

Do you *think* it should.

Mike

Just imagine you had a real vote... what would you do with it?

Okay, thanks.

I would vote against it, but I think it will pass.

If you want to see this stuff, go watch a marching band, if this passes, what will the differance be? I can't believe what certian people are doing to drum corps, soon it you won't be able to tell the differance!!!! not that there is much now.

If you want to see this stuff, go watch a marching band, if this passes, what will the differance be? I can't believe what certian people are doing to drum corps, soon it you won't be able to tell the differance!!!! not that there is much now.

There's plenty of difference. I've seen marching bands, plenty of them, I'm pretty sure my corps still doesn't look like that.

Relating to the original topic and the rule proposal........................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

................................................................................

....................................NO!