Rules Proposals

2007.4 - Allow electronic instruments  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

I will say this: I'd take electronics over amplified vocals ANY day.

Honestly, I have to agree.

Don't suppose Hoppy's interested in a trade... :doh:

Edited by Galen

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...not yet.

No, not ever.

The LAST unique vestige of drum and bugle corps is its instrumentation, and remaining true to a percussion and brass heritage.

And for anyone who doesn't want clarinets, with sampling, you can sample a clarinet. At which point, why keep them out. Same with a sax. If you can sample a sax, why keep real ones out?

...then there's at least an argument for keeping woodwinds out, period, since we could sample them.

A flimsy argument, but given how fast people keep wanting to move things around now... :doh:

Edited by bawker

I hope you're being sarcastic.

If not, then you need help dude.

Any of you who aren't in the pit, or haven't done a season with amps/electronics have no idea how much a pain in the butt all of that stuff is. Plus, with electronics, there is a lot more hassle with rehearsing.

This summer, when the only electronics we used were amps and mixers, we would keep them in the truck, and pull them out for ensemble, because you don't need amps to run a pit sectional. Now with electronics, you would need to haul out the amps, and a generator, or find a power source for sectionals and stuff.

Not worth it in my opinion. There is still SO MUCH designers can do with the current instrumentation. If they can't design an entertaining product with the resources that are currently legal, they don't deserve to be in the activity.

...then there's at least an argument for keeping woodwinds out, period, since we could sample them.

A flimsy argument, but given how fast people keep wanting to move things around now... :doh:

I'd suggest it isn't all that flimsy... if you allow sampling, and sampling has no instrument "rules", then why have any instrument rules at all? If you're not sampling and it's legal, you're bringing a knife to a gun fight.