1987 Garfield Dissolving Comapny Front

Haven't seen it. Is it on YouTube (or can we not talk about that here)? :sshh:

You have to see it --- soon -- now

Did you get the buy 3 get one free deal? I did shortly after Christmas and got 95-98. I had vhs for most of the 80's and will someday get dvds

I did.. I had ordered 88 and 87, along with 99 as a birthday gift for a friend that marched that year. When I was notified I would get an additional one free, I went with 86 so that my whole collection would remain connected. I've started to build a pretty decent collection- not sure if I'll end up owning the whole Legacy Collection or not, as I'm more interested in latter day drum corps, but 86-06 should be pretty good at curing any hankerings I should have.

Perfection.

Compare the 1987 show to the 2006 show. Somewhere along the line, something went horribly, horribly wrong.

*Runs away*

Edited by Hrothgar15

Haven't seen it. Is it on YouTube (or can we not talk about that here)? :sshh:

For those who are new to Drum Corps in the last decade or so, you really need a bit of context for why that moment is so special to some of us old-timers. The company front was a standard part of pretty much every show back in the day, you'd come to the big musical climax and the company front would hit and the corps would push the stands, blowing back the hair of all the fans in the lower seats.

Garfield had been making a name for themselves, winning 3 championships in a row in 83,84 and 85 and pushing the creative envelope in directions that few had tried and fewer had succeeded with. They were doing crazy assymetrical drills, telling stories and adding dance.. really focusing on the artistic expression of a show as much as power and precision. In 87 they created a masterpiece, Copland's Appalachian Spring. They took the fact that it was a ballet literally, with dance soloists, magnificent drill and even some posturing from the hornline (unheard of at the time) that opened our eyes to a level of interpretation that seems familiar today, but was stunning at the time. Their music was spectacular, mixing just the right blend of emotion, nuance, at times dizzying speed. At the finale they came into their company front and then.... as it came forward with those gorgeous chords, the hornline went into a freeform cascade, dissolving the company front, performing balletic movements and finally coalescing back into a company front. The fans went berserk. Garfield stood that company front on it's ear and created a moment for the ages. Still gives me goosebumps.

Edited by Super Don-O

Garfield had been making a name for themselves, winning 3 championships in a row in 83,84 and 85 and pushing the creative envelope in directions that few had tried and fewer had succeeded with. They were doing crazy assymetrical drills, telling stories and adding dance.. really focusing on the artistic expression of a show as much as power and precision, none of which required any sort of rule change whatsoever.

Fixed. :P

• Like 1

Drum corps is like NASCAR. Those who love it really love it.....and those that don't get it never will!!! :P

.....and for the record....I will never "get" NASCAR!!! :)

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones as I get both.