Gay DCI Community

I'm not gay so I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting. B)

Anyway, I think the drum corps community is one of the most tolerant and accepting places to be. I know a *lot* of gay people through drum corps and my observation has been that they are treated no differently than anyone else. I've only ever been involved with drum corps since 1998 so others may have different feelings about it.

Incidentally, prior to marching drum corps I never knew a gay person. For that matter, I had rarely ever known a foreigner. With all the talk about the importance of cultural diversity nowadays I think drum corps is keepng up nicely.

I absolutely agree, when I marched at SCV everyone was tolerant, accepting and encouraging. Some of my best friends are gay. I think that the drumcorps climate today is extremely accepting of any sexuality or gender (by gender I mean gender crossing...beside showering in the wrong locker room) diversity. Drumcorps is where the understanding of gays and lesbians that we're taught all throughout life finally became real and of importance. It's where the realization that we're all human, and we all struggle with the same fundamental qualms in existence hit close to home. When you're with a group of people for so long you become yourself, have nothing to hide, and it's a beautiful process. I'm fundamentally grateful for my experience at drumcorps especially for this reason.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree, when I marched at SCV everyone was tolerant, accepting and encouraging. Some of my best friends are gay. I think that the drumcorps climate today is extremely accepting of any sexuality or gender (by gender I mean gender crossing...beside showering in the wrong locker room) diversity. Drumcorps is where the understanding of gays and lesbians that we're taught all throughout life finally became real and of importance. It's where the realization that we're all human, and we all struggle with the same fundamental qualms in existence hit close to home. When you're with a group of people for so long you become yourself, have nothing to hide, and it's a beautiful process. I'm fundamentally grateful for my experience at drumcorps especially for this reason.

OK, What is so bad about saying some of your best friends are gay, black, chinese, Irish???????????????????? That means that you can and do get along. But people love to use that against you.

It's probably no surprise the San Francisco Renegades are very gay-friendly. As a matter of fact, we've performed at the massive San Francisco Gay Pride parade numerous times, including this upcoming June (1.5 million people audience... woo hoo!).

Here I am as Drum Major in the 2005 parade:

PrideParade43.jpg

As for other local corps, like Vanguard or Blue Devils, it wasn't discussed back when I marched in 1980-81 (I was still pretty much in the closet). However, now-a-days I am good friends with management of both corps and it's NEVER been an issue -- quite the opposite. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Jeff Pearson (director of SCV) was Renegades drum major in the pride parade one year.

See you by the rainbow flag,

- Greg

It's probably no surprise the San Francisco Renegades are very gay-friendly. As a matter of fact, we've performed at the massive San Francisco Gay Pride parade numerous times, including this upcoming June (1.5 million people audience... woo hoo!).

Here I am as Drum Major in the 2005 parade:

PrideParade43.jpg

As for other local corps, like Vanguard or Blue Devils, it wasn't discussed back when I marched in 1980-81 (I was still pretty much in the closet). However, now-a-days I am good friends with management of both corps and it's NEVER been an issue -- quite the opposite. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Jeff Pearson (director of SCV) was Renegades drum major in the pride parade one year.

See you by the rainbow flag,

- Greg

Drum corps allowed me, in part, to come out in the early 1980's. I remember going to Garfield's January camp in 1983 to audition for the line (I made it in, but didn't join...no $$, alas), and seeing George Zingali who was, of course, uncompromisingly gay. So there I was at "camp" (no pun intended) and George Zingali was in his prime. He had no problem displaying playful affection for the young men and many of them (straight or otherwise) played right along. It was an amazing thing for me, coming from my homophobic small-town, Catholic, Italian upbringing.

Also, some of my corps friends--many of whom were in college and came from out of state--were gay and their influence also made it easier for me to come out. Most of them were simply being themselves...going about life, doing rehearsals, laughing with friends, etc...in others words not doing anything particularly "gay". They were simply being who they were which included being gay. It was a revalation for me and really helped make it easier for me to self accept.

(Now of course I see it's really no big deal...in fact it's all rather boring...but back then, at 15 years old, in suburban-rural Massachusetts in 1982, believe me it WAS a BIG deal.) :)

It isnt about your sexual orientation...it is about respect, and working your ### off as a team.

Yes, and wouldn't it be helpful to apply that perspective to many other aspects of our lives! At work, in our communities...stay focused on respecting individuals (i.e. people) and working together towards common goals. It's in our collective best interests, but so easily forgotten, it would seem.

I have to state also that I am not gay. My very best friend is, and he is my best friend from the tolerance and exposure that I was given in my years of corps. My Sky Ryder corps had numerous gay men in it and they were some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Some of you are taking this topic a little the wrong way. I think that an open discussion is LONG overdue. Education is key and for those who get ticked because people are inquisitive, lighten up. It is an issue, right, wrong or in between, it will be an issue for a VERY long time, so be part of the solution and EDUCATE. The more people understand the gay lifestyle, plight and dilemas that go along with it, the quicker it becomes a nonissue. The arts in and of themselves draw more liberal well rounded people so the number of gay people is going to be higher. Gays are far more tolerant of others than others are of them, and the gays in DCI can call me their friend any time. I am the guy who goes to as amny shows as possible, buys something from EVERY souvy stand and throws money in the gas jars. 5.00 per corps per show. I also buy the members milling around the concession stands ANYTHING they want. So if you are one of those people and a stranger tells you to go ahead and get what you want, GET WHAT YOU WANT. Last but not least, to those people in corps who are gay and befriended me, Thanks.

Ive done both DCA and DCI ... I have never had a problem with anyone no matter where I marched. as long as you show up and pull your weight thats all that matters.

... Hey Greg is it time for the parade yet ??? I cant wait Ive heard so much about the big SF Pride festival I cant wait to finally go to it let alone be IN the parade for it !!!!

Played Euph, wasnt out in corps (no biggie really just wasnt out yet) Members didnt give a #### who slept with who. (unless you made noise while we were all trying to sleep, then take it out of the gym) the issue i found in my corps was hoe childish the staff acted. tatless tackey crude jokes obout the bois in the gaurd or one of th econtra players. They acted like igonrant stupid 5 year olds and thought they were being funny. At least the members were all cool.

It's never been an issue where I've marched. I'm bi myself, so of course I never had a problem with any of the gay boys. I only had an issue if anyone was the target of an unwanted advance. Ten times out of ten that was resolved with a simple "no" or "not interested". Drum corps is a very uninsulated environment. You experience a huge spectrum of personalities, preferences, races, religions, and so forth. I enjoy the fact that a group that can be as diverse as the world at large works together for one singular goal.