Cadets Narration 2007

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Cadets fan and I never blamed the judges for the 2006 result (although they should have beaten the Bluecoats!), 2006 was not a good season for the Cadets, show just didn't connect

Hmm....here are some of your posts from last summer:

First off, no offense to Blue Stars, Crossmen & Seattle Cascades, but they don't have the talent level to attempt what Cadets are doing this season, so your statement has no merit. I knew there would be someone that just couldn't stand to read the positive words by the original poster in reference to the Cadets show. I couldn't agree with the originator of this post any more about the brilliance of the Cadets show this year. It's strictly my opinion, but I honestly feel some in the judging community have a bias against the Cadets this season.
No, I said what I said because certain judges have not given the Cadets any feedback (isn't that their job?), constructive, or otherwise.
I would have to say things are not looking real positive for the Cadets this season. As much as I enjoy & appreciate what the Cadets bring to the field this year, the judging community seems to be sending the message that they are not rewarding ensemble difficulty, complexity of design, demand on performers, and anything that does not even remotely resemble something that has been done before will not be rewarded.
You are 100% correct about the Cadets! This show absolutely flat out rocks! I'm usually one of the biggest defenders of DCI Judges but they are just flat out wrong this year. All the bad comments being made about Cadets are sheer nonsense and bull######!! I have watched this show over and over again and I just flat out disagree with the critics about this show. To say this show is cluttered and lacks focus is nonsense. This show had some issues early on but is has been changed and tweaked more effectively than any other show (with the exception of the Cavaliers). I don't know why DCI is in anti-Cadets mode this year, they are not giving this corps a fair evaluation. I have followed this activity for forty plus years, I have marched with and been taught by some of the best and brightest individuals this activity has to offer. I know a great Drum Corps show when I see one.
You forgot one:

Because the judging (I use the term loosely) community has decided about a month ago that the 2006 Cadets are not worthy of merit

The Cadets have clearly been slotted by the judging community at this point.........

...........I am usually a big defender of the DCI juges. I realize they have a very difficult job but last night the better corps was actually very obvious. The judging community has obviously decided the Cadets will come in 5th this year no matter how good they become, what a shame. Oh well, that's the way it goes! Kudos to the members of the Cadets and their staff for giving us a very entertaining and complex product this season. :worthy:

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

No they did not. If you were not familiar with the story beforehand, then you would not have known squat watching that show. It was a great show, but the music and movement did not tell the story.
I didn't know the story. I didn't get the story. I loved their show.

Who needs a story. Just entertain me. That's all I ask.

I agree. I pay little or no attention to "themes". A lot of the time I think they get in the way.

I think it's the term 'Borg'....which is a derogatory term. 'Homies' for other corps do not get labelled as that, yet it seems to be open season on labelling Cadet homies as Borg.

I've been called a Cadet Borg many times...yet I have posted many trmes about Cadet shows I don't care for. Outside of 2005, they have not made my own personal favorite list in this century, yet I am called a Cadet Borg.

I have not called you Cadet Borg, you know that already. However, you write quite differently than the other poster I quoted, who gives his eternal blessing and hommage without knowing what will happen in the future. There's a difference.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy many things about the Cadets show, I did.

However, yes FOR ME part of the power of Phantom's show is because they didn't use amped voice. To me, an amped voice speaking/singing over an acoustic instrumental ensemble just doesn't work. I like the music to fill my spirit and speak to me allow me to feel what ever it is without interuption. The amped voice interupts that process and makes the emotional impact on me MUCH less.

:ph34r: w/Stp: :worthy:

Some things yelled from the upper deck during the part where the singer sounds like she is moaning...

PM me if you need to know more.

There were a lot of "Not Drum Corps!" yells coming from the seats near the ramp where they exited with the props. Kind of crass but at least they didn't get personal/nasty. Some other stuff I noticed. But I was also listening just cause I was curious what would go on.

I wouldn't yell that at the kids. You want to say that, find George and tell him. Email him, write him a letter or call him on the phone. The kids did not choose the design, they just fulfilled their dream.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy many things about the Cadets show, I did.

However, yes FOR ME part of the power of Phantom's show is because they didn't use amped voice. To me, an amped voice speaking/singing over an acoustic instrumental ensemble just doesn't work. I like the music to fill my spirit and speak to me allow me to feel what ever it is without interuption. The amped voice interupts that process and makes the emotional impact on me MUCH less.

Again, I can go along with that, but you originally claimed they were able to convey their story without the use of voice, and they were not able to do that.

Sounds good to me.