Cadets Narration 2007

I think a specific segment of the audience has been considered. Too bad for me, it's not my segment.

Yeah, they're called judges.

The performance levels are there, but the shows are not being written like they used to be.

Come on, Regiment plays classical music ("boring stuff"), and crowds of all kinds eat it up. Cadets play what one would expect to be more readily accessible music, and the crowd scratches their head.

The difference is design that is meant to ellicit audience reaction. I'm not saying they don't have a right to program the way they are (it's their corps, they can do whatever they want), but I am saying that they shouldn't be upset when people don't appreciate their "art."

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they're called judges.

The performance levels are there, but the shows are not being written like they used to be.

Come on, Regiment plays classical music ("boring stuff"), and crowds of all kinds eat it up. Cadets play what one would expect to be more readily accessible music, and the crowd scratches their head.

The difference is design that is meant to ellicit audience reaction. I'm not saying they don't have a right to program the way they are (it's their corps, they can do whatever they want), but I am saying that they shouldn't be upset when people don't appreciate their "art."

I think that last year some people may have been somewhat confused about the storyline of Faust. I think it is a risk you take when deciding to use a storyline or try to be artistic. In the end, when people do "get" the show, I feel that it is more rewarding.

That is a valid point - but PR 06 is a show that is enjoyable if you never look at the guard that is portraying the story or even know there is a story.

I think that last year some people may have been somewhat confused about the storyline of Faust. I think it is a risk you take when deciding to use a storyline or try to be artistic. In the end, when people do "get" the show, I feel that it is more rewarding.

But in the end they figured out a way to portray the story with the traditional elements of drum corps. NO narration was needed. The music did the job.

"This complex and extraordinary program will allow these talented Cadets to shine, all-the-while explaining what this drum corps is about, said Hopkins. Through incredible visuals, musical arrangements, segmentation, voice and narration, The Cadets will relay the philosophies the corps has carried within its heart for 73 years - goal setting, diversity, practice and performance.

Surprises in store for fans include professional narration, a passionate ballad, a show epilogue and a throw-down percussion feature written by Aungst that could bring instrumentation to the field never before seen in the activity. Staff are also studying the possibility of altering numbers within sections, increasing the hornline to 68 members, Hopkins said."

So, umm, are they going to have an actual drum corps on the field this year or a show so full of bells and whistles that it all get's lost and will turn more people off?? :lookaround:

BTW, what is DCI's rule regarding professional performers, i.e. paid performers? I guess George can say he started the need to pay performers. I can see it now when the leadsoprano trumpet now comes in with his representative for his signing bonus. :blink:

Edited by sburstall

But in the end they figured out a way to portray the story with the traditional elements of drum corps. NO narration was needed. The music did the job.

Well no narration was really needed in The Cadets show either than to set the surreal scene. In other words to limit interpretation. Obviously they enhanced this with the twilight zone reference. However, amped voice in the tea party production was used as another element of sound and not as a means of explaining a story.

Edited by JulioNickelodeon

As much as I hate vocals, I do have to agree that some scenes actually do require it... I mean, what's a Mad Hatter tea party without all the yelling? And a Twilight Zone reference really is a mix of both the cliche tune and the monologue.

I mean heck, if a corps did a 2001: A Space Odyssey show and the name "Dave" wasn't said at least once... :P

OK, first things first--I kind of liked the '06 show right from the first time I saw it at Show of Shows in Rockford. Kind of like someone's signature line--the 6 year old and I both saw the white rabbit immediately (not sure what that says about me). The references to the '05 show were brilliant, and brilliantly done (umbrella, helmet, etc). OK, someone who just came into the activity, and someone who likes the presentation of the colors and can't understand where the gun shot went might not like it, but I thought it was well done.

Now, I've heard some discuss the QUALITY of the performance, but I know from experience the more changes you make, the less quality the result, and Cadets made some MAJOR changes between SOS and San Antonio, and San Antonio and Madison. Too bad, I kind of liked the original intent.

Now here's the kicker--I was the guy at SOS who yelled out "we love you Cadets--good show!" Cut me and I bleed Phantom Regiment. And I don't always like what GH likes. But I can't understand the whole anti-Cadet thing. There are a few out there who don't share my sentiments for PR, and I can kind of understand. But man, I've only seen Cadets out of the top 5 once, and that was my first year seeing them ('91). The rest of the time they've been right nigh unto spectacular, including when they stood to our left at retreat in '94 (ie, ahead of us). After taking '93 off (mistake), if I hadn't ended up in Rockford, Cadets was my number two.

Let them write their show, let the members learn it, then go to the shows and get your faces blasted off and cheer like mad men (and women) like you always do. I look forward to seeing what they do, and I reserve judgment until then. But it seems kind of weird that they would be allowed to pull off '05 so well and be so accepted and that we in the stands (and the chat rooms) would be so appalled at their use of "Alice in Wonderland" in '06. I kind of liked the second better and got it better, too. Maybe cuz I saw it live twice?

I didn't read most of the ensuing 11 pages of what you all wrote, and I'm sorry to be so wordy. Toodles.

But it seems kind of weird that they would be allowed to pull off '05 so well and be so accepted and that we in the stands (and the chat rooms) would be so appalled at their use of "Alice in Wonderland" in '06.

That is something that got lost in the debate, 2006 was not nearly as clean or well preformed as 2005. Too many people point to design as sole the reason for their placement in 2006, just not the case.