Would you?

I'll have to break everything down into easily read comments from now on.

No longer will anyone have to think when they read my comments, because it'll be spelled out for them 100%.

Here goes.

(Fixt)

If a director wants to have anything that isn't in Drum Corps today, they should be allowed to.

I would perfer it to not be in drum corps, and because not everyone agrees with this, I am so very very sorry.

Granted there is BOA (Bands of America), and there is always the ability to form a new (marching/music) ciruit, though they shouldn't have to make anything new with something new.

Good luck.

The funny thing is that I don't want synthesizers in drum corps, either. But I've kind of accepted that I have no control over the situation except with my money and my attendance. I'm just tired of all the rhetoric coming from the anti-amp crowd here on DCP. It's become broken record, and I'm tired of hearing the same arguments rehashed over and over again.

(cue comment from somebody somewhere along the lines of: "well, don't read the thread then.")

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is that I don't want synthesizers in drum corps, either. But I've kind of accepted that I have no control over the situation except with my money and my attendance. I'm just tired of all the rhetoric coming from the anti-amp crowd here on DCP. It's become broken record, and I'm tired of hearing the same arguments rehashed over and over again.

(cue comment from somebody somewhere along the lines of: "well, don't read the thread then.")

Welcome to my world. :P

Hey, thank my professor.

M, I'm sure you know that adding woodwinds would mean a much larger corps to deal with visually. As a drill writer, what you think will happen to drill in a future that includes woodwinds? Will the visual drill remain as intense and fast-paced? If so, how? I would really love to hear the perspective of someone who writes drill for profit on this. You must be thinking of this whenever you see anything about increases in size. Thanks for the input!

Well, I never really specifically said I was in favor of woodwinds. I am, now (I wasn't always) in favor of adding electronics and the capabillities they offer. Woodwinds would need to be considered seperately, and if they do happen in drum corps, I feel they are still a ways off, so I'm not going to worry about that right now. I think everybody has their "limit" on how much change they can handle or embrace and how quickly. I realize that I am usually fairly quick to embrace new ideas, but believe it or not, I do have an eye for tradition, and I do have a fondness for brass and percussion. Will I be anxious to see that go? I'm not right now. I think there is a lot we can do and say with brass + percussion + amplification + electronic instruments. I'm not, at this point, in favor of an "anything goes" approach.

Now, to address your original question. Why would adding woodwinds mean larger corps? You are thinking that if woodwinds are passed, the corps size limit is increased to 180 or 200 to accomodate sections of woodwinds? But, believe it or not, logistics do play into these decisions. The corps are NOT interested in having to tour with 4 buses for members, compared to the 3 of today. The additional members in the new 150 limit will fit nicely onto the 3 55-seat buses most corps are using these days. So, if woodwinds were to be ratified down the road, I would suspect that corps would have to fit their woodwinds into the current 150 limit. Maybe the limit goes to 160 or 165. Still a very manageable size on the field, IMO.

As far as this current increase in size to 150 goes, I think it finally gives corps the opportunity to balance visually their hornlines and colorguards. I know a lot of people who feel that to get a decent amount of sound out of a multi-key hornline, you need at least 64 or more members. But that limits the size the guard can be...and I know that 30 or 32 guard just doesn't balance a 64 or 72 person hornline well enough. But I suppose that is personal taste and somewhat subjective. I also know that there are a lot of visual ideas that get cut because drum corps hornlines (most are around 64) are just too small to pull off some ideas. Increases to 72 or 80 do open up some opportunities while keeping the size managable enough to keep em running around. I know I certainly DO NOT want to write for a drum corps hornline of 100 or more...add a 50 person colorguard and a full battery and then I think we start to loose the ability to produce *clean* shows...or maybe not? Who really knows unless we try?

M

You don't need "ideas" for a drum corps show! You need music, and drill, and THAT'S IT!

JESUS JAZZ RUNNING CHRIST!

[edit: it's late... I let the tired get the best of me... use your imagination...]

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I come from way back in the day when tenors were a single drum played with fuzzy sticks and the G bugle had a slide and a valve. I have seen drum corps fully evolve into the product it is today. Some of the changes added value some didn't. I don't mind the amps. It added value to some shows (when the sound board worked properly). I personally feel that all the corps should learn to use amps better and get a full knowledge of how it can truly enhance a show before taking the next step in electronics.

I also appreciate great music, wether it's classical, modern, jazz. . .

Personally, I appreciate the corps who produces amazing music like Faust on the field. And that goes for any corps that can produce the quality sound that todays corps produce.

In a few years, electronics will be a part of drum corps. and when it is, I sure there will be those who will use it effectively and those who will not.

But I will still show up and support my favorite corps as always. And, as always, I will appreciate the corps who produces great music without using the electronic toys more.

java script:emoticon(':angry:',%20'smid_10')