Classic Countdown Finalists

Two points:

1. Since a corps can only appear once in the show, I think that it makes little sense to vote for multiple shows from one corps. Now, I might see voting for two out of the 5 or 4, but if you spread your vote, you are essentially voting for none of them. To that end, I would just like to request that everyone select Garfield 1987 as the Cadets's selection. We've already had 2000 and 1984, so for the sake of seeing something different (and seeing my favorite show ever), let's vote for 1987 Cadets. Also, I think it would be really cool if both 1987 Garfield and SCV made it so that the audience can get another look at one of the closest, most debated championship ever.

2. For those of you who are so convinced that we will only see the Big 7 (Mad., PR, SCV, BD, Cadets, Cavies, and Star), I think there is a real possibility that we might see all of those with only one show nominated. The reason is simply that the fans of that corps only have the one option. So I think we could very easily see the votes for SCV, Cadets, Cavies et al. be divided and lose out to the block voting of Crown, Glassmen, 27th and Bridgemen.

I don't think your points are statistically correct

1. Lets say group 1 votes for MyCorps 1999 only, group 2 votes MyCorps 1989 only and group 3 votes for MyCorps 1979 only. If there are 500 people in each group and the 10th highest vote count is 800. MyCorps is not shown. If we all vote for all three, each show will have at least 1,500 and one of MyCorps shows get in.

2. The results show that there are many more fans of that big seven. The block voters of the other four WILL vote for four more shows (will they all only vote for each other?) along with all of the fans that put in the multiple entry corps. One or two of the seven might not make it statistically but just using this thread as a sample group, they all get in.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCI has a lot of younger fans/members voting, I understand the skew to the 2000's.

I agree.

I'll take this a step further and say that the process is skewed to favor younger fans because in general, younger fans will tend to be more active on the the internet than older fans. One might be able to argue about exceptions, but the tendency is there.

On the other hand, it's probably the younger fans who will be more represented in the theaters, too. Especially after the vote! :worthy:

This classic countdown looks disappointing. Not a chance all those shows from the 2000s should be there.

I actually think the results are exciting news. The new millenium, despite having had only seven sets of shows, dominated the top 30. Yes, the younger fans are going to be both more tech-savvy and have little to no experience with some of the older shows, but that's irrelevant. Why? Because the results show pretty convincingly that fans still approve of what the current edition of drum corps has to offer. The support is there, and even Cadets 2005 made it in as one of the top 30 vote-getters. Even if I concede the obvious argument that these recent shows are all that some fans know, they enjoy these shows enough to want to see them broadcast again in the theaters. So for all the people that say drum corps is losing fans and the product isn't enjoyable anymore... seems plenty of other fans will disagree.

These results are a rousing endorsement for what corps have accomplished and produced in the 21st century. :)

boo to no 93 Regiment, 90 Cavaliers, 06 BK, or 03 SCV.

~>conner

I'm a veteran fan, and found myself voting for a Corps from each decade ( 70's through to now ) and without being asked too. I had 2006 Cavaliers for instance as one of my 8 votes. Not sure the recent fans are into the 70's, 80's Corps though..... but who knows.

I'm a veteran fan, and found myself voting for a Corps from each decade ( 70's through to now ) and without being asked too. I had 2006 Cavaliers for instance as one of my 8 votes. Not sure the recent fans are into the 70's, 80's Corps though..... but who knows.

I'm a recent fan, only getting into the activity late 2005, and most of my favorite shows are from the 80's. I voted heavily for the 80s and 90s, a few in the 00s, and even one in the 70s (Phantom '79) in the preliminary round. I can't speak for all new fans, but us youngin's do enjoy the classics, too. ^^

Having to pick between 2003 and 2006 Phantom Regiment- now THAT'S a dilemma!

I own the legacy collection. I know all of those older shows. Fact is, I don't watch shows from before 1987 very often. I listen to them, but they just aren't exciting for me to watch. I don't mean that as a knock on any of the older FMMs on here, but it was a different time period, and the visual design doesn't entertain me as much. Sorry (not really).

Edited by TSRTS13