"Blue Shades" Added to Cadets 2007 Show

I always find Bocook's arrangements of songs that other corps have played to be interesting. I like the "apples to oranges" comparisons, I suppose.

I really consider him to be the leading arranger for brass in DCI to date and in my opinion the best. He consistently puts out great horn books with the most moving lines.

I really consider him to be the leading arranger for brass in DCI to date and in my opinion the best. He consistently puts out great horn books with the most moving lines.

Wouldn't Richard Saucedo have to be considered the leading brass arranger in DCI, especially this decade?

Who has won more titles as an arranger, Bocook or Saucedo?

(I know Wayne Downey would be the king if all of DCI history were counted, but except for 2003, BD hasn't won any championships this decade).

Wouldn't Richard Saucedo have to be considered the leading brass arranger in DCI, especially this decade?

(I know Wayne Downey would be the king if all of DCI history were counted, but except for 2003, BD hasn't won any championships this decade).

There is more to being a great brass arranger than your corps winning titles...i think its a self-explanatory and maybe even widely accepted fact.

Edited by euponitone

I absolutely loved Blue Shades by SCV in 99. Crossmen also had a nice arrangement in 99. I can't wait to hear Cadets version of it. I have also heard a few high school marching band arrangements of this as well, and have also liked those.

That's nice and dandy, but titles don't really mean much to me when I listen to horn books. Plus, I prefer Bocook's writing much more over Saucedo's.

I can definitely see how Blue Shades fits into the concept intellectually. The whole tune is basically an exploration of bringing blues harmonies and styles into modern, aggressive wind band music. Integrating elements of one style into another would go along with the concept very well...especially with the way Tichelli highlights certain elements by themselves while gradually adding more and more until it all weaves together in a big shout chorus.

I'm a bit baffled by the placement of the tune...Blue Shades screams opener or closer all the way to me. We'll see how Bocook handles the arrangement...I'm pretty confident it won't sound anything like SCV, if for no other reason than they performed it as a closer and here it'll make up the middle portion of the show.

I generally find Tichelli's music somewhat annoying, but Blue Shades is an exception.

Either way, Ticheli is a fantastic composer, so I'm looking forward to this.

i like the fact that they have 9 minutes of music in 2 songs...it gives you more room to play around with it, and make cuts of music that isn't necessary...I hate it when really cool parts are cut because the tunes are too long AND the writing is sucky. At least with Bocook, you know it's all good writing, for the most part.

Believe me, that makes perfect sense in my head. :worthy: