Capital Regiment

No names..... but I know a Drum Corps years ago where some high school football players overstayed their practice after practice was through, their coaches having left , but they refused to leave the field for a Corps that had reserved the field and the time for practice. The Corps was from a surroundong area and some of the Drum Corps kids were 20-21 years old ( maybe older )and a few of them even former graduates of that high School . A few of these Corps members went to the director and said " We'll get them off the field for you ". The Corps director balked, and proceeded to try diplomacy with the remaining football players that were in shorts and t shirts doing sprints and refusing to leave..... but they laughed and ridiculed him, and told him essentially to buzz off. With persistence from some of the Corps veteran members, ( a few of them pretty big, strong and tough kids ) the director finally relented and said " I 'll give you 3 minutes, then I'm calling the police, so make this quick ". In those 3 minutes ,all manner of heck broke loose, with the remaining H.S. football players being chased off the field under a brief flurry of chosen words, some persuasive nudges, and a couple of mostly air striking thrown fists for about 15 seconds. No one was physically hurt at all, just some arrogant 16-18 year old football player's egos when they wre sent quickly scampering to the locker rooms by a few of the Corps members. The Corps bonded like never before after this, and the exaggerated story went around the high school school that week on how this "Band " from outside the area physically beat the beejeesus out of some of the school's football players on their own football practice field. Whenever this Corps has their reunion, the Corps members recall fondly the day the " Band " marched the local High School football team off the field.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No names..... but I know a Drum Corps years ago where some high school football players overstayed their practice after practice was through, their coaches having left , but they refused to leave the field for a Corps that had reserved the field and the time for practice. The Corps was from a surroundong area and some of the Drum Corps kids were 20-21 years old ( maybe older )and a few of them even former graduates of that high School . A few of these Corps members went to the director and said " We'll get them off the field for you ". The Corps director balked, and proceeded to try diplomacy with the remaining football players that were in shorts and t shirts doing sprints and refusing to leave..... but they laughed and ridiculed him, and told him essentially to buzz off. With persistence from some of the Corps veteran members, ( a few of them pretty big, strong and tough kids ) the director finally relented and said " I 'll give you 3 minutes, then I'm calling the police, so make this quick ". In those 3 minutes ,all manner of heck broke loose, with the remaining H.S. football players being chased off the field under a brief flurry of chosen words, some persuasive nudges, and a couple of mostly air striking thrown fists for about 15 seconds. No one was physically hurt at all, just some arrogant 16-18 year old football player's egos when they wre sent quickly scampering to the locker rooms by a few of the Corps members. The Corps bonded like never before after this, and the exaggerated story went around the high school school that week on how this "Band " from outside the area physically beat the beejeesus out of some of the school's football players on their own football practice field. Whenever this Corps has their reunion, the Corps members recall fondly the day the " Band " marched the local High School football team off the field.

"The drum corps tried to take the field. The football team, they had to yield".

Really? And to where would these supposed heads literally have rolled?

Probably just far enough to allow the corps to begin practice. I can only imagine a situation like that involving a football team, with BAC and Blessed Sac waiting to use the field!

Really? And to where would these supposed heads literally have rolled?

As I understand it, they actually would pick the heads up, impale them on spears and set the spears upright in the corners of each endzone and at the gates, warning other football teams that they could meet the same fate. :lol::worthy: :o :blink: :sshh:

In addition to the termination and suspensions, Peters announced that the university has waived all of the costs and charges associated with DCM's use of NIU facilities this year. Officials estimate annual DCM rental revenue at between $14,000 and $19,000.

"It is extremely unfortunate that the poor judgment of a small number of individuals should reflect so badly on our university," Peters said. "I am committed to doing whatever it takes to assure the drum corps community that we value and respect them, are very sorry about

this incident, and are working hard to make sure nothing like this ever happens again."

Then DCI took that extra $19,000 it saved and reduced the price of it's tickets to that event the following year.

Oh, That didn't happen?

Well, How did DCI spen that winfall?

MIKE BOO can you answer this?

Edited by boxingfred

As I understand it, they actually would pick the heads up, impale them on spears and set the spears upright in the corners of each endzone and at the gates, warning other football teams that they could meet the same fate. :lol::worthy: :o :blink: :sshh:

Yeah. I literally don't believe it.

Figuratively, maybe.

*snip*

Then DCI took that extra $19,000 it saved and reduced the price of it's tickets to that event the following year.

Oh, That didn't happen?

Well, How did DCI spen that winfall?

MIKE BOO can you answer this?

I would expect that DCI used the money to help with it's operating costs. I'm assuming that the costs of running DCI from year to year are so enormous that saving $19,000 in it's budget would not provide enough revenue to provide a meaningful dent in the cost of tickets.

Of course, that's pure speculation.

I forget who said this: "The 'conspiracy theory' is the hallmark of a crackpot."

I would expect that DCI used the money to help with it's operating costs. I'm assuming that the costs of running DCI from year to year are so enormous that saving $19,000 in it's budget would not provide enough revenue to provide a meaningful dent in the cost of tickets.

Of course, that's pure speculation.

I forget who said this: "The 'conspiracy theory' is the hallmark of a crackpot."

Except that Dekalb was not a DCI show. It was a DCM show. That's why DCM got the financial break. In turn, they gave it to their fans. It's a few dollars for each ticket. A way to say "thank you" to their fans, even if it isn't a "meaningful dent," I think the gesture carried a lot of meaning.

Except that Dekalb was not a DCI show. It was a DCM show. That's why DCM got the financial break. In turn, they gave it to their fans. It's a few dollars for each ticket. A way to say "thank you" to their fans, even if it isn't a "meaningful dent," I think the gesture carried a lot of meaning.

If that happened, That's great! That kind of good will goes along way.