Capital Regiment

As an ex-football player myself, when your coach tells you to do something, you are supposed to do it, no matter what it is. If my old high school coach had told me to run into a wall, I would have. For several years after high school, too."

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... brainwashed retards...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... brainwashed retards...

dont go there

I did sports in HS, and believe you me, i was 'brainwashed' alot more in corps than i was in sports. Its not being '########' , its believing in your staff, coaches, the program, whatever. If you want to get somewhere, you need to believe.

Im not defending the NIU players at all, just watch what you say.

:)

Edited by corpsismylife

That clown ex-strength coach at NIU should have taken a page from another coach in an adjoining state....

This coach brought his team to a drum-corps' practice and made them watch how they practiced. He told them that if 'they were in this great of shape and practiced this hard they would win a national championship every year!' He also mentioned that the corps' conditioning would put their own team to shame.

The corps...Star of Indiana.

The coach...Bobby Knight.

I still remember the research that IU did with the Cavies (I think) where they hooked up some of their members to a biometric package and monitored them thru a rehearsal and run-thru. They remarked that their conditioning was similar to a world-class sprinter....

I was a band director of a really competitive, aggressive band in So Cal in 1997 that had an unusually high number of kids in corps. The freshman football team tried to run us over once, but the band "huddled the wagons", and let them know that respect is due to ALL of the groups on campus, and the kids actually got an apology from the coach, as well as the team.

The HS Varsity team was GREAT! They were very respectful, and in fact were really impressed at the conditioning our kids went through....a couple of miles of running, situps, basic block, etc. They came to really appreciate the civic function of the band, and applauded us when we left the field after halftime. Lots of love at that school, because it came down from the COACH. He set the standard there, and it DID make a difference.

dont go there

I did sports in HS, and believe you me, i was 'brainwashed' alot more in corps than i was in sports. Its not being '########' , its believing in your staff, coaches, the program, whatever. If you want to get somewhere, you need to believe.

You are right...BUT...adults have the responsibility to refuse...and report...this type of behavior. Even in the military there are guidelines where a GI can refuse an immoral or illegal order from a superior officer (just be da...d sure you are RIGHT!)

There is a lot of mind games and brainwashing that can go on in any group where you have an adult in charge of youth or very young adults. This is why it is imperative to keep an eye on the staff and make sure that competent, ethical professionals are in charge. As we have seen this year, DC has it's own house to put in order in some instances.

Could you imagine a corps run by Bobby Knight?

DCI would have to come up with a new set of penalties, but kudos are extended for his Star remarks.

That clown ex-strength coach at NIU should have taken a page from another coach in an adjoining state....

This coach brought his team to a drum-corps' practice and made them watch how they practiced. He told them that if 'they were in this great of shape and practiced this hard they would win a national championship every year!' He also mentioned that the corps' conditioning would put their own team to shame.

Sports Illustrated, August 10, 1987, Volume 67, No. 6. I have a .jpg of it.

"If a basketball team trained as hard as these kids do," says Knight, "it would be unbelievable. I like to take my players over there to show them what they can accomplish with hard work and teamwork. Besides, once they see them practice 12 hours a day, my players think I'm a helluva lot easier."

dont go there

I understand what you mean, but let me remember you what happened. There was a corps rehearsing on a field and "Bizkowski got the 20 players to run and wade into the band members". now, this to me seems to me an intimidatory act to get the corps kids to go away or, at least, to show them "who's the man".

now, would you define "believing in your staff, coaches, the program, whatever" hurting an innocent kid who is simply rehearsing? I define that person with the exact words I used before: brainwashed ######.

If you want to get somewhere, you need to use your brain. you must be able to understand what's right and what's wrong.

It's a good drum corps related story about Bob Knight. But...

How ironic that in a thread about a hot-headed lunatic college coach (of NIU), someone brings up the king of all hot-headed lunatic coaches!!

I still remember the research that IU did with the Cavies (I think) where they hooked up some of their members to a biometric package and monitored them thru a rehearsal and run-thru. They remarked that their conditioning was similar to a world-class sprinter....

That's pretty awesome. Leave it to Bobby Knight, haha.

And I've heard that the Cavies train like mad-men during camps, etc.