Capital Regiment

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was with CR as a visual tech for the incident. The coach did send the team on wind sprints through the corps and kids did get injured. Despite the instructions of the coach, most of the players actually made the effort to avoid hitting anyone. I give credit to NIU for taking responsibility and taking action against the offenders.

What this incident speaks to more than anything, IMHO, is the ridiculous sense of entitlement college football programs enjoy almost everywhere. I loveme some college football, but the fact that they are the economic engines that drive college athletic departments gives them a level of entitlement that is just plain scary. This guy Binkowski bought right into it and no one was going to tell him anything was more important than HIS guys taking HIS field when HE said so. It was a scheduling mistake, apparently, but if he could have, perhaps, looked at a campus newspsper or read a campus news release, he might have seen that DCM was happening all around him. I think it was nothing but a fog of pure entitlement that enveloped him.

I was with CR as a visual tech for the incident. The coach did send the team on wind sprints through the corps and kids did get injured. Despite the instructions of the coach, most of the players actually made the effort to avoid hitting anyone. I give credit to NIU for taking responsibility and taking action against the offenders.

So, he really told the players to hit the members. I hope he was tried on criminal charges.

But did the coach say run into the "band" members, or did the players choose to do that themselves?

The coach told them to run their wind sprints THROUGH the corps, but with a moving corps and football players running straight lines, it was probably clear the coach's intent. Video/stills existed but few got to see it.

NIU could not have done a better job (very swift) of dealing with that situation.

Besides making things right with Capital Regiment and the kids (undisclosed), NIU did not charge DCM for the facilities.

Edited by dannyboy

Speaking of Columbus Ohio...

In 2005, the Blue Knights were rehearsing in Columbus for the show there that evening. About 3/5 of the way through the final runthrough for the day, we were kicked off of the practice field and forced to end rehearsal for the day so the football team could have their field. Of course we were furious, and wanted to say a few choice words, but we decided to be the classier group there and swallow our pride.

We then packed up our gear and headed towards the gym while the football team did their sprints. Before a good majority of the corps was even starting to leave the field, the football team was done with their workout and ran back to the weight room, after an whopping 5 minute workout. They just couldn't wait to do their sprints I guess.

Once the drum corps season was over, I personally kept track of that particular football team to find out if that 5 minute work out was worth it. They lost their first game 33-0, and went 3-8 that year.

What this incident speaks to more than anything, IMHO, is the ridiculous sense of entitlement college football programs enjoy almost everywhere. I loveme some college football, but the fact that they are the economic engines that drive college athletic departments gives them a level of entitlement that is just plain scary. This guy Binkowski bought right into it and no one was going to tell him anything was more important than HIS guys taking HIS field when HE said so. It was a scheduling mistake, apparently, but if he could have, perhaps, looked at a campus newspsper or read a campus news release, he might have seen that DCM was happening all around him. I think it was nothing but a fog of pure entitlement that enveloped him.

It was also an example of something we probably ALL faced while in our school music programs..a total lack of respect for what WE do out there...and typically it comes from the football players.

How many time4s did you or your mates get called "band fags" or something along those lines??