Phantom - how long till they are considered 'elite'

I always considered any corps that usually places top 5 to be elite. Any year those spots can switch, Cadets 4th, 1st, 5th. My elite are SCV, BD, Cavies, Cadets, PR. Bluecoats are among the best but we don't know if it's short lived or for a long time.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the entire top 12 was considered elite. Hmm...

Agreed. They do say the "elite top 12" on ESPN and PBS and whatnot. Guess they're just doing it to be nice. Sorry, thousands of kids across the country.

In all seriousness, and in the DCP spirit, "who cares?" Phantom is a very good drum corps who constantly perform at a very high level. That's enough accurate classification for me to be able to go to sleep at night.

So as i'm sitting in class today nodding off, I begin to think...

for so long we had the Top3 - Cadets, BD, Cavaliers....

but now cadets have missed it 2 out of the last 3 yrs, and BD has been on the outside of it for 2 years...

do we consider this deviation from the norm? or is it that the top 3 is becoming the top 4?

how long will Pr have to stay at the top to be considered top 3, or 4?

It's quite interesting that this is the first year the PR has topped BD twice in a row.. (i think)

anyways... time for my next class... i'd like to see some comments or thoughts on the matter... give me a new perspective perhaps.

As far as I am concerrned there is a top four that at any time in any place. In no particular order, Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment. It is actually my prediction that Phantom will win this year unless Blue Devils massivly crank it up for their home town crowd(sort of). This is the year of the Phantom.

Elite as far as on the field competitveness...I guess. Nice to see them near the top once again.

What Regiment lacks that the other top corps have (BD, Cavies, Cadets) is solid and consistent financial backing. If Regiment even had half of what these other corps have on an annual basis, they could continually remain at the top of the activity.

I'm always amazed at how much they accomplish with just under adequate resources. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just wanting folks to know where they might will their fortunes after they go to the great finals performance in the sky. (Denver?) Oh, nevermind...

There are a couple of categories:

Top 5 (the elite, these groups will be at the top and one of them will win, unless something truly unusual happens)

- Cavaliers, BD, Phantom Regiment, Cadets, SCV

Perenial Finalist Corps (corps that will almost definately be in finals, but are unlikely to move ahead of a top 5 corps for more than one or two seasons)

- Bluecoats, Crown, G-men, Madison, Boston, Blue Knights

Bubble Corps (corps that have a good shot, but there are no guarantees)

- Spirit, Crossmen, Colts, etc.

Edited by raphael18

There's more to drum corps than DCI Div. 1... In the scope of ALL drum corps, the top 12 div. 1 are pretty elite

then consider the offering of the rest of the world... good drum corps, but the best corps in other countries are just... not as "elite" as the top 12.

~>conner