If you could pick a Uni for Scouts in '07

Weren't last year's uniform NEW uniforms? I thought they looked great. Why change? Do the Scouts have that much extra money that they can go for new uniforms after just one year? Must be nice.

Second time I've seen this type of statement posted. Careful with the sarcasm.

As most people know, most corps have endorsement deals with a uniform manufacturer in which the corps receives uniforms at a vastly discounted rate.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second time I've seen this type of statement posted. Careful with the sarcasm.

As most people know, most corps have endorsement deals with a uniform manufacturer in which the corps receives uniforms at a vastly discounted rate.

They do? Like, how much of a discount? Free or almost free? Is it comparable to the endorsement deals that corps have with the percussion companies?

I remember asking about this in a thread on this topic a while ago and nobody could tell me for sure that they got free or almost free uniforms. If what you say is true, then that's great. But what's your source on this?

They do? Like, how much of a discount? Free or almost free? Is it comparable to the endorsement deals that corps have with the percussion companies?

I remember asking about this in a thread on this topic a while ago and nobody could tell me for sure that they got free or almost free uniforms. If what you say is true, then that's great. But what's your source on this?

First off, I'm not involved with the Scouts in any way. However, just a general understanding of sponsorships will tell you.. if they have the company's name on the side of their truck or in advertisement, then the company gave the corps something in return for it. Usually, that means discounts on products -- sometimes it means free product or free test product.

In the case of uniforms, most DI corps have some sort of budget allowed for uniform replacement/repair/design. That will usually include the guard's uniforms (which are often sold to HS or Winter Guards the following year or years later) and more often than you know, it also includes replacement of a piece of the uniform. Whether it's new pants (which wear much faster -- especially now that they're made of lighter, stretchable and more breathable fabrics) or new uniform tops. When they use the same uniform from year to year, fans never know or bother to question how much money is spent on uniforms because they can't really tell that anything has changed. I assure you, though, it happens about every year with most of the top DIs and at least every couple of years with others.

With that said, I think the scrutiny a lot of people have for the Scouts' uniform budget is unwarranted. I doubt they are spending an inordinate amount of money on their uniforms or anything else. They put together a budget and follow it for the year... just like every other corps.

Stef

I actually liked the uniform they wore from 2003-05. I liked that uniform better than this past year. I didn't like the drum major uniform because it was too similiar to the rest of the corps. I'm probably one of few that liked that uniform.

I also, for some reason, liked the uniform worn during the late 70s.

and wouldn't it have been something if you'd actually ever seen it on the field?

I'm sure the guys who've marched in (and maybe even loved the way they looked in) those "jester looks" of the past few years appreciate your disdain. Heck, I'll bet they're even surprised by it!

Stef

And there you go making bad asssumptions again (you are becoming an expert Stef :ph34r: ). Yes I have seen them on the field with all the past variations of their jester uniforms and in no time did they look masculine. They looked bad.

no, I didn't.

and you can disagree with me all you want, but they had the same uniform for 15 years... a uniform that, I, for one, thought was REALLY overrated.

~>conner

ya, and again...opinion...in you OPINION a change was warranted....in your OPINION the old uniform was overrated. A uniform that I marrched a kick-### show in, mind you....and I can sit here and say that I WAS one of the 7 lead sops for the Scouts in '96. Very elite company indeed. Alongside the likes of Jon Schipper and Edwin Bogert. Son, apparently you have yet to have suited up...and your involvement on the board or with the activity has, I'm sure, been limited to the past few years. So you like the current uniform better, fantastic. I certainly can't expect you to know what it's like to don a Superman Suit, now can I?

I like the idea of the corps...MY corps...staying closer to the tradition that they revel in. Phantom and the Cadets certainly don't get much grief for having not changed...so why do they get a pass?? hmmmmm??

Eh, I'm saying all this knowing full well what kind of answer I'll get back. I've read plenty of your comments to know where your bias lies. All well and good.

Give me the alumni corps uni's....awesome stuff!

ya, and again...opinion...in you OPINION a change was warranted....in your OPINION the old uniform was overrated. A uniform that I marrched a kick-### show in, mind you....and I can sit here and say that I WAS one of the 7 lead sops for the Scouts in '96. Very elite company indeed. Alongside the likes of Jon Schipper and Edwin Bogert. Son, apparently you have yet to have suited up...and your involvement on the board or with the activity has, I'm sure, been limited to the past few years. So you like the current uniform better, fantastic. I certainly can't expect you to know what it's like to don a Superman Suit, now can I?

I like the idea of the corps...MY corps...staying closer to the tradition that they revel in. Phantom and the Cadets certainly don't get much grief for having not changed...so why do they get a pass?? hmmmmm??

Eh, I'm saying all this knowing full well what kind of answer I'll get back. I've read plenty of your comments to know where your bias lies. All well and good.

Give me the alumni corps uni's....awesome stuff!

please, tell me where I once said that the shows that Madison put out between 88-02 were overrated. Not just in this thread, but ever. I bet you will have a difficult time, because I have never said it.

and tell me where my "bias" lies... I don't even know where my bias lies. I haven't marched corps yet, so I don't really understand how I can even have a bias about a drum corps.

~>conner

Of course it's his opinion. Unlike you, he's not represeting his opinion as anybody's but his own. And people happen to agree with him, just like people happen to agree with your opinion. And since when do you have to have worn the uniform to have an opinion about it? :doh:

Anyhoo, thanks for the screams in 96. Awesome show. :)