Southwind 07

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can toss out some speculation...

I'd guess that they'd need a new source for uniforms this year as Steve Vento (brass arranger) is no longer affiliated with Broken Arrow, from whom Southwind borrowed uniforms. I've read that there may have been some bad blood in the Vento/BA divorce, which I could understand seeing as how Vento is now arranging for BA's top rival, Tulsa Union.

On a similar note, is Darrin Davis, BA drillwriter, still writing drill for Southwind? If not, this may substantiate this rumor.

I should also add that just because there may be bad blood between a staff member and his former school doesn't necessarily mean that it would carry over to a relationship like loaning out uniforms to a corps with which that staff member is affiliated. But it makes for an interesting thought... :)

If I can toss out some speculation...

I'd guess that they'd need a new source for uniforms this year as Steve Vento (brass arranger) is no longer affiliated with Broken Arrow, from whom Southwind borrowed uniforms. I've read that there may have been some bad blood in the Vento/BA divorce, which I could understand seeing as how Vento is now arranging for BA's top rival, Tulsa Union.

On a similar note, is Darrin Davis, BA drillwriter, still writing drill for Southwind? If not, this may substantiate this rumor.

I should also add that just because there may be bad blood between a staff member and his former school doesn't necessarily mean that it would carry over to a relationship like loaning out uniforms to a corps with which that staff member is affiliated. But it makes for an interesting thought... :)

Broken Arrow bought new uniforms 2-3 years ago, and I could have sworn Southwind bought those old uniforms outright from BA.

Also a strange little fact, Broken Arrow didn't make finals in BOA from 2003-2005 with, I'm assuming, Darrin Davis as the arranger. This past year I think I remember hearing how they hired Aaron Guidry (also arranges/writes for Ronald Reagan and from what I've heard he is involved with the Crossmen?) as their arranger and they won BOA grand nationals. Someone please correct me if any of my information here is incorrect.

Edited by Musicman1084

Also a strange little fact, Broken Arrow didn't make finals in BOA from 2003-2005 with, I'm assuming, Darrin Davis as the arranger. This past year I think I remember hearing how they hired Aaron Guidry (also arranges/writes for Ronald Reagan and from what I've heard he is involved with the Crossmen?) as their arranger and they won BOA grand nationals. Someone please correct me if any of my information here is incorrect.

Aaron Guidry is the Brass arranger for the 2007 CROSSMEN.

Broken Arrow bought new uniforms 2-3 years ago, and I could have sworn Southwind bought those old uniforms outright from BA.

Vento was the winds arranger at BA. Darrin Davis writes drill, and he might be more involved in the BA show design now.

Guidry was definitely involved in their show (notice the similarity in BA 2006 and past RR shows? :)). However, I didn't know that he actually arranged it himself. I thought his capacity was "musical advisor" or something.

Guidry being involved with the Crossmen does nothing but bode well for them. A corps could do worse than sound like RR/BA, though I guess that's not the Crossmen "identity."

Ok. BOA has their own forum. Take it there.

No. Darrin Davis is no longer writing the drill.

Thank God.

Aaron Guidry creates the music for the Crossmen, and Andy Yovziak arranges it for the brass. It is Guidrys creation though.

Guidry also wrote BA 2005, BA 2006, RR 2002-2006, and tons of other band shows.

And to stay on topic.....

I love S-dub. Their shows are very hip.

I'm excited for sdub this year, what really hurt them last year was the percussion arrangements, battery in particular and how it just didn't go well with the music, but this year they have a promising percussion staff and I can't wait to see what's in store for the entire corps having Eric Willie and Shane Gwaltney join in on arranging and design.

Are there many battery members returning from last year?

Hahaha sorry Randy!

About a year later I got a copy of their show, and there was no way I could deny them the crown.

I would love to see Carolina Crown's show from that year as well. That was a great 3-way fight in the end.

Thanks for the love on the show. It was definitely a fight to the finish.