Drum corps shows that have made you cry

Suncoast Sound 1984...she let's go of the balloon....

I'm fairly certain that was '88 - that was one whacked show...

(EDIT) Never mind - it was the girl letting the ball roll away in '88...

(EDIT Pt. Deux) Of course, on a related note - Sky Ryders '86 when Dorothy's balloon flies away - freakin LOVED that closer...

Anyway...

Goosebumps leading into major physical mountainous deformities up and down the back leading to close to impossible to contain the emotion:

The last minute and a half of Garfield '87

Edited by Zaromas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, pretty much every year there is something.

I cried during Danny Boy once, and I cried the whole show when I saw 94 27th reunion corps. I would have loved to participate or see it live.

Others that make the emotions well:

81 SCV - my first love

83(?) Freelancers - "we've got something you're really gonna like!" Don't you know it!

86 27th - a show in a different vein for 27th, but I really like it, and knowing it's the last makes me really emotional.

Any sweet SCV melodies, esp ones where they feature duets or trios - beautiful. The PotO shows have a number of good moments.

Phantom Clair de Lune, Elsa's, Sanctus, the Biebl.

So many. Above someone mentioned about getting emotional just walking through the parking lot. I get that too. It was such a wonderful experience...

Warming up on the steps of Clifton School just before the Grand Prix, we learned that Jim Ott, our Brass Arranger, had been killed in a car crash. Playing EVITA was nearly impossible.

27th Alumni in 94--- Danny Boy was a tear jerker.

Madison Alumni Project in 07. Ice Castles Company Front was also.

Not a dry eye in the press box. Even the DCP guys stopped typing on their laptops..

A genuine DC MOMENT TO REMEMBER..

There have always been moments that make you tear.

Emotion should always be part of the activity. Without it there is no real performance,

and no self fufillment.

:blush:

86 Sky Ryders....not so much when the ballon gets released, but the vid shot of the girl in the guard raising her face from her hands....she's crying herself (ageout??) and that gets me every time.

From a non-show moment....riding the BART out of Concord to head to the airport to go home about a week after returning from Finals in 84. Just after we pulled out of the station, we passed the yard where the busses were stored...realizing that I'd never again ride the 04 as a member of the corps...

That hurt more than losing by 1/10th....and was the first indicator of what being a Blue Devil had meant to me...

Christina, thank you for reminding me of that part of the Bluecoats' show that year..... that was an absolutely awesome moment in what I thought was a very well-conceived show!

Fran

I know this is supposed be about shows that made us cry...however after many shows in 1995 we had one or two WW II vets come up to us with tears in their eyes, telling us how much they enjoyed our show. And that still makes me tear up!

I know this is supposed be about shows that made us cry...however after many shows in 1995 we had one or two WW II vets come up to us with tears in their eyes, telling us how much they enjoyed our show. And that still makes me tear up!

Close the thread....we have a winner!

Oh, and I kid you not. The final "push" and company front in 2000 Cadets show made me cry because of how awesome a moment was, I remember saying to myself, as I watched it, I held my head up towards the sky and looked down with my eyes so I could see the field at a slant an told myself "This is one of those vintage, rare moments of drum corps at its finest and Im gonna remember this moment just as it is, for the rest of my life" and I cried and it was so unreal, and it was drum corps, and it was awesome !!

~G~

Imagine how I felt. Getting to that halt and then hearing people in the crowd start screaming before we played a note, I may have cried rivers that night. And then after that when we got to the Z-pull and hearing all those people screaming and cheering....when we hit the last note, I put my horn down and I can remember looking up at the crowd and just thinking to myself, this is the best moment of my life. That moment still gives me goosebumps to this day.

Crying moments for SpartacusRocks...mostly in repsonse to music, but some visual cues too.

VISUAL:

*the final "Z Pulls" in the 1982/1983 Garfield shows. That field coverage was just awesome and (for me) unprecendented. It was an inspired idea and shattered my conceptions of what drill could do.

MUSICAL

*1996 Phantom...low brass and brass fortissimos...choke me up everytime

*1995 Cavies "Mars" movement especially

*1982/1981 Phantom during the concluding hit of the main theme...gorgeous and sentimental...dares to be lush and lovely

COMBINED EFFECT:

*2002 Boston

Oh yeah, and the combined efforts of all the top 12 DCI corps playing "America the Beautiful/Oh Canada"...pushes me over the edge.

Many others but those stand out.

Edited by SpartacusRocks

Forgot some from a while back:

Crossmen '92

Boston '05 ballad without me even realizing it; it hadn't occured to me until then how often I had heard this during the summer, and the fact that it was the first sounds I heard from the stadium in Foxboro (when we were making the 15 minute walk...a hajj, if you will) made it a pretty emotional memory as well.

My recording of the Cadets '02 ballad from the DCI Orlando show (June 22...first DCI show I ever saw live), too. I've said it plenty of times before, but I still feel like if they hadn't put the pledge in, that would have been one of my favorite endings ever. The brass arranging was incredible at the end of the ballad, and its too bad the designers de-prioritized it.

Forgot some from a while back:

Crossmen '92

Boston '05 ballad without me even realizing it; it hadn't occured to me until then how often I had heard this during the summer, and the fact that it was the first sounds I heard from the stadium in Foxboro (when we were making the 15 minute walk...a hajj, if you will) made it a pretty emotional memory as well.

My recording of the Cadets '02 ballad from the DCI Orlando show (June 22...first DCI show I ever saw live), too. I've said it plenty of times before, but I still feel like if they hadn't put the pledge in, that would have been one of my favorite endings ever. The brass arranging was incredible at the end of the ballad, and its too bad the designers de-prioritized it.

Amen. Crossmen 1992.