Drum corps shows that have made you cry

Finals Day singing the Corps song for the last time during the season, and listening to a recording of Spirit of Atlanta playing Georgia IMO one of the best hornlines in DCI

You should have heard "Let It Be Me" live.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ONLY time I have ever come to tears when watching a corps is last summer when Regiment played the Finale from New World Symphony. Our closer from 89.

It was part of their standstill concert.

Was really amazing.

I never thought about it until afterwards, but that was the first time I got to hear it without being part of the group playing it.

I would give anything to see the 89 show live from the pressbox just once.

Oh helz yes! :blush: When they hit that Sop lick at the end during their encore in Dallas, I was a big ol' titty baby. I had to go find PR's busses after that and tell a few members how much that meant to me being able to hear that from the front finally. And what a hornline sound they had too.

On the way over there, I ran into Rick V. at the PR souvie stand and I bet he thought something was wrong at first (since I still had tears in my eyes), till I explained to him how moved I was by that. A religious experience...

Thanks for reminding me Mark. B)

Edited by bradrick

I'm a manly man.

My tear ducts were removed at birth.

Great topic BTW,

Back in the day, the Kilties brought out the emotion with their version of Auld Lang Syne. We can't forget Danny Boy from the 27th lancers. MYNWA from Madison has gotten me quite a few times in the lot. SCV's Send in the Clowns has sent sent chills up the spine more than once. SCV's closer in 89 was a real emotional moment too, with that big push from Phantom of the Opera. How about Boston's, " Close to You", from 1969? Great! We can't leave out BD, who has had some of the most emotional closers in all of drum corps. The Mangione tune, Chase the Clouds Away, was fantastic, and of course one of my favorites, Dindi. There's many more from the Devs.. I really liked Cadets closer in 1993 too. After their third or fourth Crown, and a sound that was like they were standing still, I couldn't help but well up a little. This was a corps going for it. There's so many more, and IMO, some of the greatest are the most recent. These kids today are just so fantastic. I can't say enough great things about the youth that are out there busting their chops. All I can say is WOW and Thank You. It's interesting that a young(er) guy started this thread, because, stirring that emotional response at the gut level, is really one of the things that drum corp is all about. My heartfelt thanks to all the great performers over the years (and today) that have created so many fantastic "moments". Is June ever gonna get hear???

Edited by oldtimedrummer

1995 Bluecoats - the year of the home front show, when the guard member got the folded flag

Christina, thank you for reminding me of that part of the Bluecoats' show that year..... that was an absolutely awesome moment in what I thought was a very well-conceived show!

Fran

Come on people,...there wasn't a dry eye in the house when 27 turned and hit Danny Boy with the reunion corps !!!!

I remember the same exact emotion, for totally different reasons, after we played that at our 1st rehearsal a year prior. Two hours of rehearsal on out-of-shape chops that hadn't been used in 10-20 years had us ALL crying.....

IT WAS THAT BAD!

It was purposely placed on the "Once More In 94" Biography to show the evolvement, improvement and impact from a very meager start!

I always teared up whenever Madison played "Brians Song", which really wasn't very good considering I was usually standing on "Off The Line" getting ready to go for it... Must have been in their game plan :blush: .

And definately whenever our Hornline, be it A or Alumni play "Clowns". However, the biggest tears had to flow during the '02 Alumni performance at Madison. The Guard turned to face the rest of the Corps and held hands as they proceeded to drive that tune clear into our souls.

the ONLY time I have ever come to tears when watching a corps is last summer when Regiment played the Finale from New World Symphony. Our closer from 89.

It was part of their standstill concert.

Was really amazing.

I never thought about it until afterwards, but that was the first time I got to hear it without being part of the group playing it.

I would give anything to see the 89 show live from the pressbox just once.

I got a bit misty when I saw them do that at their encore in Decatur IN last year. Great stuff :)

Stuff that gets me:

Vanguard '89- build into the company front

Phantom '03- pretty much the whole show :)

Every alumni performance I've seen

Vanguard '87- RCM and Great Gate