2003 Phantom Regiment

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got me, I typed that in a hurry and added the extra "n" in there.

Yes, I realize that they are not the same song, but still find the video amusing. I also realize that all the songs in the medley are not necessarily the same just because they happen to have the same chord progression, he did change the keys and the tempos so that they would fit better.

Ok... I've been puzzled by this for quite some time...

Why does it seem that I'm the only one who doesn't really care for Phantom Regiment 2003... ?? I'm not asking this to be dumb or anything... I'm being totally serious. I just thought it was awful.

Please tell me what I'm missing.. What should I watch for/listen for that could change my opinion???

I'm mostly a guard person, so I really just didn't like it because I thought the guard was horrible. (MUCH better than in 2004 though).

Anyway... people, please enlighten me and perhaps I can change my ways and learn to love this seemingly 'great' show..

Thanks!

If you didn't see it live, I think I can understand why you are puzzled. If you didn't see it during finals week, you would have needed to see it a lot over the course of the season to get how deeply it affected people (in the stands and on the field). I think the way the show was constructed was very satisfying to me as a spectator.. it's like reading a good thriller and at the end of the book, it turns out EXACTLY the way you wanted. You don't care if it was contrite or you saw it coming.. it's just AWESOME that they ended it exactly the way you wanted them to.

I don't like to listen to the recordings of it too often, now. I loved the show live -- watched it all season and thought it was pure genius.. it was an emotional show to watch, sit through, listen to and witness being performed. In short, I thought on the field, it was nothing short of magical.

The recordings, however, defy my memories of it and I like my memories of it better than the recordings.. so, like I said, I try not to listen to them. I like to preserve that memory for what it was.

that's not much of an explanation.. and I hate it when people tell me "you had to be there.." but IMO, you really did have to be there.

Stef

I first saw this show at DATR in July. I liked it immediatly. You could see that it wasn't quite a finished product yet but what they had was so good already. They just connected with the audience right from the start of Canon. Something that struck me was how they allowed the full melodic line of each peice to mature. No snippets or jumping around. Full melodic devolopement which to me is so classic Regiment.

Then I saw them in Orlando. I agree with some of the points already posted about a "lack" of drill, execution problems, Guard not quite as good as the rest of the top 6. But you know what? They put on the most emotional, raw, edgy performance of the night. I don't think they really cared about placement that night. They just left it on the Field in what was I thought The performance of the night. :blush::doh::doh: Absoulutley incredible. And when the Brass resolves the Last Chord the response from the audience was extrodinary. Worth waiting for all season!!

I first saw this show at DATR in July. I liked it immediatly. You could see that it wasn't quite a finished product yet but what they had was so good already. They just connected with the audience right from the start of Canon. Something that struck me was how they allowed the full melodic line of each peice to mature. No snippets or jumping around. Full melodic devolopement which to me is so classic Regiment.

Then I saw them in Orlando. I agree with some of the points already posted about a "lack" of drill, execution problems, Guard not quite as good as the rest of the top 6. But you know what? They put on the most emotional, raw, edgy performance of the night. I don't think they really cared about placement that night. They just left it on the Field in what was I thought The performance of the night. :blush::doh::doh: Absoulutley incredible. And when the Brass resolves the Last Chord the response from the audience was extrodinary. Worth waiting for all season!!

I saw it first in late June at the Devils' home show. I loved it right away and the crowd seemed quite surprised on how good it was and they really appreciate it. I then went to midwest all hyped to see it again. Little did I know, Phantom was not yet back from the west and I would have to wait until Championship week to see it. I loved it each night. At semifinals, one man that I had marched Scouts with in 1985 was crying by the end of Phantom's show and had to excuse himself for a beer. At finals, a group of people behind me had brought a newbie, a middle aged man of around 50 years old. He was enjoying the show but hadn't been blown away. I told him that Phantom would and, surprisingly, they were playing the Canon. He replied, "I hate that song." Several of us chuckled and assured him that he had never heard it like this before. Needless to say, he was blown away! :doh:

I found the show to be very enjoyable. Unfortunately there were quite a few performance issues, so I understand why some people didn't care for it. If you liked the music, but not the finals performance, you might try getting their tour dvd from 03. There is a studio performance of the show, and other than some small intonation issues towards the beginning of the show, it is a better performance than finals.

And coming from a horn player, I know that they could get more volume without the issues they have. Blue Devils have always had one of the loudest hornlines, and I don't hear all the technical issues with them. It is just a matter of proper technique. So I do not personally buy the "Going all out for finals" excuse for poor tonal quality.

But overall, it was definitely one of Phantoms top 3 shows of the last decade in my opinion.

I saw it live a few times, and loved it best on semifinals night. I stood and clapped from the Recap to the end... and yes, the stands were about to break off it felt like!!!

Granted, now if I watch it today, I am kind of bored for the middle parts... but it is still pretty amazing in the beginning and end.

Ok... I've been puzzled by this for quite some time...

Why does it seem that I'm the only one who doesn't really care for Phantom Regiment 2003... ?? I'm not asking this to be dumb or anything... I'm being totally serious. I just thought it was awful.

Please tell me what I'm missing.. What should I watch for/listen for that could change my opinion???

I'm mostly a guard person, so I really just didn't like it because I thought the guard was horrible. (MUCH better than in 2004 though).

Anyway... people, please enlighten me and perhaps I can change my ways and learn to love this seemingly 'great' show..

Thanks!

Ok, friend.

I'm not a huge fan of this show either. Not to turn this into that kind of thread. They were a visual mess, guard not real strong, out of tune, poor tone quality, messy drums, etc.

But I guess I'm wondering why you posted in the first place. Why do you need to seek the council of people on this forum to decide if you enjoy a show or not? If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't.

And, watch what you say about certain corps. People on this website don't take too kindly to dissenting opinions around here. If you don't like something, your opinions will be ridiculed and mocked ad nauseum.

Edited by contrajedi8

People on this website don't take too kindly to dissenting opinions around here. If you don't like something, your opinions will be ridiculed and mocked ad nauseum.

I'm not really sure why you are so defensive, we're 5 pages in to this discussion, and no one has attacked this person - or anyone else that criticized the show.