Rock songs never done before

Hendrix.

If a corps did a Jimi Hendrix show, I'd be very happy. :)

Not sure about the judges or the rest of the audience, though.....LOL

Fran

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a little "Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe and "Witch Hunt" by Rush

maybe "I want it All" or "One Vision" by Queen

Hey how coma a corps hasn't done a show consisting of the music of

Boston, Chicago, Alabama and Kansas?

US Geography.....with the Cadets :)

Love it! Great concept, and some great tunes to boot.

I've mentioned it before, but Judas Priest came out with a new album in 2004 or 5, Angel of Retribution--first pop / rock album I've bought since literally Thriller way back in 84! Cool stuff--a couple would be pretty hot on the field:

Judas Rising

Hellrider

Drummers, start your engines!!

I'd love to see some Phish - Fluffhead, Divided Sky, The Curtain, the composed part of Reba, parts of Guyute... intricate stuff.

Grateful Dead - Almost anything off of Blues For Allah, some stuff off of Anthem of the Sun would be good too (Cryptical->The Other One).

I post it once a year, but I still think Grateful Devs is a show waiting to be played by the Blue Devils (especially with the Bay Area connection of both GD and BD).

Re: Kansas '93

Had we, Northern Aurora, based our entire show around the source music for the closer (Magnum Opus), possibly added a little Dust In The Wind (since people still talk about it), I would fully endorse it. Instead, I feel that we did what most people fear about rock music in drum corps - made it "band-y". The opener was "Carry On My Wayward Son" - great tune in a stereo, but not on a drum corps field. The second song was "Play The Game Tonight" and it doesn't get any cheesier than that. That was a song I was embarrassed to play. The next tune was Paradox. We initially had horns playing in the beginning, but they were taken out early in the season. What was left was one of the longest drum solos in DCI that year (I think BK's was the longest) and what sounded like a bad Blue Devils imitation. I don't blame the percussion arrangement (it did eventually differ quite a bit) as much as I blame the use of the source material... it's PARADOX! The ballad was Dust in The Wind. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan. It always got a good crowd reaction, but it just seemed to be too long, too down, and too cheesy. The closer - Magnum Opus - was a SWEET tune, and one that demands to be looked at again if someone is looking at 70's rock tunes. There's SO much we didn't even touch from the original that could be used. But the bottom line is that for me performing, most of that show felt like halftime versus feeling like a Division 1 drum corps. It all comes down to the source music and the subsequent arrangement. Like the old knight said in the Indiana Jones movie: "Choose wisely".

Edited by Fievel

Anything by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

I was thinking "Black napkins"

Although "Dancin' fool" might work for VK or maybe Impulse.

(Note: The style of the song - I'm not calling anyone in either organization a fool.)

I post it once a year, but I still think Grateful Devs is a show waiting to be played by the Blue Devils (especially with the Bay Area connection of both GD and BD).

Cheesy! But it just might work...