And you thought tour food was bad ...

I can remember back in the day when corps' didn't have food trucks on tour and you had to hunt for your meals and got no respect - sort of like that caveman in those Geico.com commercials. :P

It was worse than that. I've got one word for anyone who marched in most corps prior to the 1980s...McDonald's.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early 80's my brother marched with the Bridgemen and I marched with the Garfield Cadets. The Bridgemen didn't have a food truck. The Cadets did. (Food trucks back them were the size of the Cadets souvie truck now) Every show the Cadets and Bridgemen had together I would give him food. I remember him eating sour cream and onion potato chips and pepsi for breakfast and lunch in Toledo. You can't march on that.

We must have had it pretty good in Blue Stars. No kitchen truck, but great volunteers. The corps had kitchen privileges at most of the schools and they would borrow BBQs. Lots of pasta, sloppy joe's, brats, burgers, salad, vegetables with dinner, scrambled eggs or french toast for breakfast, always PB&J and basic staples, sandwiches on the bus (ok, those pretty much sucked, a slice of balony with butter?), a steak house on free days. Some fast food for pit stops on the highway, but swore off the dreaded McD's. Nobody got fat but we didn't go hungry.

Our problem was dishes. ARGHHH! To save money by cutting out paper plates and utensils, they had us bring dishes, forks, spoons, knives, cups in our suitcases. Trying to clean them was almost impossible. The community dish water was legendary, after the first 20 people it was sewage. Imagine stowing your dirty dishes with your dirty laundry and then eating off them for dinner. Yum. In desperation, we showered with our crusty plates, cups and utensils. Gross, seemed like a good idea, but consider the logistics. People got sick. What a mess. Worked so well in 1980, we did it again in 81, both tours!

In general I think we ate very well at Regiment.

I don't think I realized just how well until I started instructing with other corps.

We had it pretty good.

In 86 we didn't have the food truck, we hauled our food around in a ryder truck.

Luckily the job of my section was to load and unload it every day.

As you can imagine, my bus got a lot of late night goodies.

I think it was the next year we got the food truck.

Man what a step up that was.

The cooks loved it and it showed.

We ate like kings that summer.

In Korea it is considered a delicacy (Kagogi). There is a special breed of dog they raise for it - looks something like a grey rottweiler/shepherd mix. I remember somewhere up near the Z that there was a guy raising them next to some comm site or something I was visiting.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not the meat commonly found in the establishments outside the US installations - you have to go looking for it (I never did, but I did see it for sale 'skinned, dressed and hung-up' at a market once)

One time on our first tour, we were served canned roast beef....if was GREEN !!!!!!

They had as much left over as they did when they started to serve it !!! Go figure .

Edited by ODBC

...actually, for the most part, I thought I ate better on tour than at home. :)

Same here..

...actually, for the most part, I thought I ate better on tour than at home. :)

Agreed, and somehow I still lost 16 pounds this summer

Edited by Carl306

In Korea it is considered a delicacy (Kagogi). There is a special breed of dog they raise for it - looks something like a grey rottweiler/shepherd mix. I remember somewhere up near the Z that there was a guy raising them next to some comm site or something I was visiting.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not the meat commonly found in the establishments outside the US installations - you have to go looking for it (I never did, but I did see it for sale 'skinned, dressed and hung-up' at a market once)

Yummm. Kagogi. j/k!

I went on a lot of hikes in Seoul while stationed there with my Korean roommate. I remember walking down some alley and he pointed out a cage of small dogs. I was thinking "pet store". He corrected me and said it was a restaurant. He also said that it was not common at all and most people just ate beef aka bulgogi aka 불고기.

It was worse than that. I've got one word for anyone who marched in most corps prior to the 1980s...McDonald's.

You're spot on with that one Mike. To this day I still shun the golden arches.