Your Drum Major

From 1972 to 1976 we had, with The Royal Coachmen (NY), a terrific drum major in Carleen Tesavis. Her conducting patterns were clear and conscise and she knew how to cue and even let her body and facial expression help her conduct. The entire corps looked up to her and highly respected her. We had a drum major that started off 1976 who was not in the same league conducting wise but as for looks they were both above a 10! Carleen won many best drum major trophies too.

How about yours?

Pancho Hernandez, Mike Dietz, Tim White and me. Hrmnn...

Mike and Pancho DEFINITELY had the personalities that were fun to be around.

Wait... we had a girl in 84 and 85... what was her name??.... eek.

I recall in 86 one of our drum majors challenged the other to eat a 5 pound bag of popcorn in 24 hours. He didn't quite make it if I recall correctly LOL

If you really want to win a bet, bet someone they can't eat 3 saltine crackers in 1 minute. I couldn't even eat one. :lol:

Madison Scouts had a great drum major in 1984 and 1985 named Craig Mason. I have always thought that Craig was one of the best drum majors to grace the activity. He was a great guy, very warm and friendly, this was huge to new people coming into the corps. He absolutely oozed class and professionalism. He marched in the corps for several years before becoming DM. He was also a great musician, and truly one of the best conductors I have seen. He won a few "Best Drum Major" awards, but I always got the feeling that those really didn't matter to him as much as just doing a great job because that was the kind of guy he was. He went on to be a band director in his home town.

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm...a female drum major? :worthy:

1973...... Mike Marsh was drum major for my junior corps.... Manville (NJ) Sacred Heart Crusaders. Mike was a drummer with the corps, and he took over as DM late in the '72 season when our drum major for that season took ill.

Our corps director preferred to have a female as drum major for the corps..... and he probably would have preferred to replace Mike with a female for '73...... but Mike was easily one of the most popular people in the corps, and he had everyone's respect. Plus, he was a BIG guy with a big voice... so when he gave a command, you listened!!!!!

I think if our director had replaced Mike as DM with someone else in 1973, half or more of the corps would have quit. Mike was not only a terrific leader, but he was a great personality in front of the corps as well.

Fran

The guy we followed was Paul Siebert, center snare for SCV, who was heckled and backed up by his brother on number two bass drum, Gary. Our drum major was Tim Moxely.

Our drum major was Chad Humpal--the guy who sang and fell off the podium when he got too excited. :P