Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an old timer, when I gross or gripe about corps I hope none of you current marching members take it personally. I’m talking about your staff, mostly people from my generation. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the marchers of any generation at any level. You are all out there, giving your best, working together trying to put something great on the field. I’m sorry if I offended any of you or if you took it personally, it was never my intent. My intent was to let your staff know what I, as a fan, am looking for or what I like and don’t like. and I expect many will disagree with my opinions but I am highly opinionate and rather free with expressing them - as I hope all of your are also.

Do you really think that corps members of any era would 'get it' that when their corps is being trashed it's not really about them, it's about their staffs? Members today are just as proprietary about their corps as we were in our days...and that includes WHAT they are doing musically and visually.

I find it odd that people who were so "hard core" about their corps 15..20...30...40 years ago seem to totally ignore that attitude when they moan and groan about those of today, and then make little "oh, it's not about you...it's about your staff and admin". IMO that is just so lame.

I don’t want to go back in time, I would still enjoy the music of a 80s style show but the drill would bore me. There are aspect of 80s drill that I do like and think still have merit but unfortunately have been pushed aside. To me, it’s all about balance. I’d like to see aspects of all generations of corps but currently I don’t. And I do think too much has been given up for the sake of just trying to look new. Just as an example – I’d love to see more of the hyper, always spinning or tossing 80s style guard work but I hear that corps don’t look kindly on the 80s style guard because its dated. So its gone. It wasn’t bad, it wasn’t easy and much of it was very effective but it was dated…so out if goes completely. Bye-Bye

Well, corps in the 80's moved on from what corps had done in the 60's, so why should today be different? Every era gets to define what drum corps is for their era. Mine in the 60's and 70's was far different from yours in the 80's, yet both were state-of-the-art for their eera.

Gonna disagree with some things here Dan. Mostly just that the new schoolers don't know their history. I'm not a walking DCI/drum corps information box like some of the old schoolers, but I think I do a pretty darn good job of knowing my roots, and not being afraid to seek it out if I don't know it. And many new schoolers are very much the same. We just don't get the enjoyment out of the old school shows, in general, as we're used to something different. So I know your comment is a general statement about the education of current DCIers, but I don't think it's entirely accurate.

The folks who are today's old timers were the new schoolers in their era, whenever that was. In my marching days we knew the history of our corps, but as for general information about corps prior to my era? No. That's another issue I have with those who lived through an era and then whine that current members don't appreciate or know what the activity was like "back then". In 1970 I had almost no knowledge about what went on in 1950-era drum corps, outside of my own corps highlights.. Why MUST current members immerse themselves in 1980's drum corps as many vets demand they do?

I've asked this question many times before. I'm sure many hated it. They probably hated anything that wasn't a Sousa march too. Anything other than straight lines was probably frowned upon. I wonder what they thought about valves and rotors.

Well, there was all sorts of trashing of Madison, the Cavies and Garfield in 1971 for daring to put on themed shows.

Many of the old-time purists hated Bayonne for donning the banana unis in 76.

"What? People who marched in the past bash modern corps ALL THE TIME." Yes, I agree.... HOWEVER, current marchers bash older shows all the time, too. It works both ways. Usually the current marchers who bash seem a little smug and superior. The "old timers" are bad too, I agree. BUT it's a two way street on the bashing AND the respect. It's amazing to me that you see it that way. As far as I'm concerned, I call it like I see it. The modern marchers work their butts of, and so did all that came before them.

As on old schooler...it is FAR worse with the old timers bashing those of today on these forums.

And...don't you think that those who experienced what went on "then"...that is....the grownups....should take extra care to make sure they treat those of the current day with respect?

OK.... Who wants to explain why it even matters which side does it more???

Sheesh, I'm waiting for the old "they started it" defense. <**>

I don't see any problem with this "generation" thing. I'm "old school" Drum Corps, and I'll be the first one to admit that the kids today are much better than we were. They carried on where we left off, and that makes me feel proud.

OK.... Who wants to explain why it even matters which side does it more???

Sheesh, I'm waiting for the old "they started it" defense. <**>

what is this thread about then? Derogatory remarks are much more common about shows in the 2000's than from shows in the 80's and 70's.

Not all "old timers" do it, but when they do it doesn't surprise me at all.

~>conner

The folks who are today's old timers were the new schoolers in their era, whenever that was. In my marching days we knew the history of our corps, but as for general information about corps prior to my era? No. That's another issue I have with those who lived through an era and then whine that current members don't appreciate or know what the activity was like "back then". In 1970 I had almost no knowledge about what went on in 1950-era drum corps, outside of my own corps highlights.. Why MUST current members immerse themselves in 1980's drum corps as many vets demand they do?

Mike, all of your posts make great sense to me. I too am an old timer, but I can't say enough how impressed I am with these kids today. Their, talent, commitment, energy, etc is just outstanding. These are truly great kids. I can't even imagine doing some of the stuff they're doing on the field today, and I while I have great memories of the past, and appreciate our history, I wouldn't want to return to those days at all. There will be new moments in the making in just a few short weeks and I for one can't wait. I say cheers :mmm: to all those fantastic young adults out there getting ready to bring us all an exciting summer of drum corps.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I personally don't think current members should HAVE to immerse themselves in 1980's drum corps. They can do what they want.

There is a big difference between your day, my day, and today. In your day and my day, we didn't have access to all the material that is available. I had no video, no DVDs, but I did have some audio.... The current members have access to much more information, so it just seems like a waste for them to not use some of it. They have a better opportunity to actually see these legendary shows instead of just hearing them or hearing about them.