2003 Phantom Regiment v. 2003 Blue Devils

SUTA!!!!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

between those two? easy vote for BD. come on . . . I don't think BD necessiarly should have won (they were very good), but Phantom didn't even come close.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

BD.

~>conner

What Jared said. I absolutely loved Phantom at first viewing, but after watching it numerous times I got tired of it and the ensemble and brass issues became more and more difficult to ignore. BD has excellent replay value, in my opinion.

What Jared said. I absolutely loved Phantom at first viewing, but after watching it numerous times I got tired of it and the ensemble and brass issues became more and more difficult to ignore. BD has excellent replay value, in my opinion.

When I watch Drum Corps I want to see a corps expand their horizons. Do something better than they've done in the past and most of all excite me. That description fits only one corps....Phantom. Innovative, chilling and unique, that describes Phantom's 2003 show to a T. I've replayed that show from the Ballad on so much that I had to purchase a new DVD. The patented leg kick at the end had me jumping up and shouting almost every time I watched it. If cool and clean are your reasons for choosing one over the other you really need to look further.

If cool and clean are your reasons for choosing one over the other you really need to look further.

oh, ok, glad i learned my lesson for the evening. and to think i figured i was done learning for the semester now that school's been out for a while....

i was in the front row for bd's encore run and i have never/will probably never see a drum corps that executed on a higher level from a visual technique standpoint. phantoms visual program was astoundingly mediocre. great drumline, though.

i dont really watch or listen to bd '03 very often, but i was subjected to hearing that phantom show repeatedly after that summer. i dont really have any interest in hearing it again. i get the idea.

im happy that you have your reasons and i have mine.

BD. It is one of the most entertaining shows ever, to me at least. And I love Brubeck. Oh, how I love Brubeck...

Edit: Type-O

Edited by bigbadjosh89

When I watch Drum Corps I want to see a corps expand their horizons. Do something better than they've done in the past and most of all excite me. That description fits only one corps....Phantom. Innovative, chilling and unique, that describes Phantom's 2003 show to a T. I've replayed that show from the Ballad on so much that I had to purchase a new DVD. The patented leg kick at the end had me jumping up and shouting almost every time I watched it. If cool and clean are your reasons for choosing one over the other you really need to look further.

That's great. I look for different things in a drum corps show. Things which BD did much better than Phantom did that year. Things which made me enjoy BD's show much more than Phantom's.

Blue Devils, no contest. By far. Not even close. As a total package, BD had it all, from concept, to design, to performance to showmanship to selling their show. On par, performance wise with 1982, and 1994. On another level altogether. The attention to color, musical arrangement, guard integration, and final moments were rivaled only by Cavaliers that year, and the level of performance was simply dazzling.

Phantom Regiment, while an emotional full plate had some major design flaws, musical miscues, and some concept ideas that didnt quite bring the total show to the same level. Performance, was nowhere near that of BD. Colorgaurd was a major let down and complete distraction for the tone of the show. Missing was the elegance and sophistication one would expect with a musical repetoire PR presented, and from a corps that would be rivaling the top contenders. The mood of the music was not enhanced by either the costuming or the design of the repetoire.

PR had an awesome overall show and a beautiful musical book, as did Blue Devils, but to comapre, there is no comparison.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230