Corps Acquaintances

This was cool. I was running a sound board for a rock festival a few weekends ago, and while changing a band out on stage I realized that one of there members had on a maltese "cross necklace".(it looked just like the ones that members of the crossmen have, I know because I have one too) I asked if he had marched and he said yeah 2000-2002 and so had another member of the band. It was even cooler because this band had made it to the semi-finals on NBC's America's Got Talent. So thats something for the CAA. more people to add to the list of Crossmen who have been on T.V.,.........BONES

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran into J.D. Shaw almost ten years ago in a specialty electric train shop in Dallas. He was with some other Boston Brass folks, killing time before a performance. I was shopping for props to be used on a TV show. About as cosmically random as they come...

Runners up: Ran into someone from '91 Sky while shopping at the Denton Winn Dixie (around 94 or 95), saw a fellow '94 Buick--"Twinkie," for those who remember-- in 1997 while passing through the Grapevine Mills food court (spotted his jacket from afar) and was surprised one day to see Ray Vasquez running a UNT marching band rehearsal from a tower next to where I'd parked my car. (95 or 96, I think...)

Oh... and when I was working for a auto finance company several years ago, I got a call from someone at Beef-a-roo regarding a vehicle they were leasing and was near the end of term. (Beef-a-roo is a long time Regiment sponser and frequent dinner stop for members during winter camps.) Offered them an extension, as I recall.

This isn't really random, but I like running into past corps members, who happen to be members of other high school bands in the circuit. at local marching band and indoor percussion competitions and reminiscing, or just saying "Hi."

Was talking to the drummer of 311 and found out he too had marched in Sky Ryders. What a small small world.

A friend of mine who is a tour manager for "Cobra Starship" and "HIM" told me lots of stories of running into Madison Scouts who are techies or who are in bands. My friend Tom, also had been the "Production manager" of BB Kings in New York and I was visiting him in 2001 after September 11, and talked to the bouncer who was a drum corps fan. Small world.

I used to be a light tech in the late 80s and early 90s for some hair bands in Memphis (before the Seattle grunge took over)and they were always impressed to know I was in drum corps and realized that must've been why I was such a good light tech. :)

we went to NYC to party for new years 02/03 and while claiming our luggage at LaGuardia, I saw someone with a PR member jacket so I went up to him I talked to him for a lil bit, he had just come back from camp, he was a really nice guy.

Work at a Military base and bunch of corps connections in my building (approx 400 people) cropped up over the years. Two Crossmen parents (90s durmmer and 05 guard), one Westshoremen parent and four ex-Westshoremen (including one I marched with).

Best one was when bunch of us got sent on a trip to Iceland to put up a computer system. While waiting for a meeting to start one guy is doing rudiments on the armrest of a chair. Someone asks if he is a "real" drummer and he replies "Yeah, used to be with a Drum Corps". I asked which one and the response is "Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots" and I almost fall out of my chair. Turned out he was with the corps when they broke up in 1972 and I joined when they reformed in 1974 (no corps in 1973). Over the later years we talked corps quite a bit and have learned a lot of corps history from each other. :)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I was in Bowling Green KY a few years back. The show was the next night, so I went over to the local mall to get something to eat. I saw this couple walking by wearing corps t-shirts but didnt say anything. Later I went over the the University where the Scouts were practicing and saw the same couple. During a break I went over to say hello. After some discussion, I discovered the woman was my daughter's 8th grade gym teacher from back in Pennsylvania.

A couple months ago, I was checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier commented on my t-shirt. I was wearing a Cavies tee. He asked if I was in to drum corps, and we stood and talked. Turns out he had also went to the Atlanta Regional last summer.

A few weeks later, I was shopping for shoes in Journeys. I again had a (different) Cavies shirt on. The Asst. Manager came over to ask if I needed any help, and she said something like, "Oh, the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps. I love them. Drum corps is so awesome. That sound is just amazing."

Then there was this time I was at Disney World last September, wearing a Cavies shirt, and a teen guy came over and asked me how they did this summer. I told him they had won the Championship. He then proceeded to ask... "Did you march with them? Or are you just a fan?" I replied, "Just a fan." I wanted to mention how I am a girl and therefore cannot march with an all-male corps. But I just laughed a little, and carried on.

Running a retail store, over the years I have played a ton of drum corps music at the store. Especially when new APDs or CDs come out. I have had marching members from Colts, Troopers, Scouts, Star, Emerald Knights, and several other corps start conversations when they hear the music playing. It is really fun to meet all of the people who have marched/taught/volunteered with corps in my store. I have also made some very good friends this way.